Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Re: No more hand painted watches on Main Street-Declining by Degrees continues

Quote Originally Posted by lnsemsf View Post
    In all fairness, if people actually bought these watches they'd keep them there. You have nobody to blame but the general public. I for one didn't even know they did it, and won't be mourning the loss of it.
    I have to agree with this. Yes, it was for show and atmosphere -- just like the bakers in the window in Main Street, or the sketch artists in New Orleans Square. However, if nobody bought the bakery goods or sketches they'd be hard pressed to stay.

It's always a terrible shame when something that involves hand-crafted artistry goes away, though. Hopefully those artists will be able to find somewhere else to show off their talents.

I'd like to think Disney will replace that area with something else that fits the ambiance of Main Street, and not just another Generic Garbage shop. Maybe something like jewelry making.

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Maybe something like jewelry making.
    That'd be awesome! Glassblowing would be cool as well.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

All the glassblowing done at Disney Parks is done by a company by the name of Arribas Bros. I believe they still do work at the Magic Kingdom. Not sure about Disneyland.

Of course seeing stuff like this leave is sad but keep in mind that a good majority of us enjoyed watching it rather than purchasing the product. If guests don't purchase the product, then that product is spending money rather than making it. If no one is willing to purchase the product, then why bother continue selling it and not selling something else that other people would be interested in?

Will the silhouettes go next? well that depends on how well they sell. I'm guessing that silhouettes are doing well for Disney.

Personally, I don't think it's "declining by degrees". I think it's adjusting to guests wants and thats very very important. Judging from the amount of people not ever hearing about this kind of proves that it was just not doing well.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Maybe what Disneyland needs is fewer "everyday" guests.
    I have a solution… for another example of "every problem caused by one policy."

I don't think the issue is that this very small patch of retailness doesn't make money. It's that it doesn't make ENOUGH money. "You know what makes more money?" the pencil-pushers ask, and then answer thusly, "Cheap plush that sells for five times its cost."
    I don't think you can blame this one on APs. $200+ is very expensive for a souvenir regardless if you're an AP, local, or tourist.

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    That'd be awesome! Glassblowing would be cool as well.
    I have very vague memories of glassblowers near the entrance of the castle, by the drawbridge.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    All the glassblowing done at Disney Parks is done by a company by the name of Arribas Bros. I believe they still do work at the Magic Kingdom. Not sure about Disneyland.
    I believe Arribas still has the contracts for the crystal shops at Disneyland.

• Just drawn that way

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    I believe Arribas still has the contracts for the crystal shops at Disneyland.
    Both shops on Main Street and in N'oleans is still Arribas bro's, thankfully.
    Little and broken, but still good.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Here's my thoughts and idea I posted on the Dateline Disneyland comment section
    Too bad to hear about the Artist watch program but it’s a sign of the times. Watches are no longer used as a practical accessory for telling time (we can all thank cell phones for that) and are more of a high-end, throwback fashion accessory now. I totally understand reason the program is leaving but sad nonetheless. Kudos to Disney for keeping these artist employed though.

Just an idea but, wouldn’t it be awesome if the watch program was replaced by Artist cell phone case program. It doesn’t fit in as well as a watch program but I think it could be an awesome, unique, and relevant replacement. I would totally pay to get a custom, artist print/sketch for an iPhone case. Just an idea but I think Disney could make some serious money with that while still keeping the uniqueness of an artist made object

•   
    • Minion

I don't think you can blame this one on APs. $200+ is very expensive for a souvenir regardless if you're an AP, local, or tourist.
    This. It's a luxury item. If you're a tourist $200 could be a huge chunk of your trip budget. I daresay that the best sellers at Disney are in the $10 - $50 range.

I'd also suggest that, in addition to the price, the hurdles of getting a custom watch were simply too much.

I went to the park earlier this year with the intention of getting a custom made art piece. I had inquired about the watches previously, and was told that you could either choose one of the designs in the book, or, if you wanted, you could bring in a good capture from a movie (for characters and poses not found in their design books). I was also warned that certain poses and images couldn't be done (I found this very understandable, as things can be taken out of context).

Well, I wanted to have Jessica Rabbit done showing strength and attitude (rather than the sultry/sexuality that they normally draw) and wanted to have Roo shown on his own (instead of always being with his mother, or with another companion). So I went through movies frame by frame and printed up four possibilities.

In any case, my top image was of the moment when Jessica smacks Valiant, showing a 'fierce jessica'. When I brought it in, I was told that it would have to be submitted for review, which would take a few months, and then, if it passed, it would be a while after that before the watch was made. It seemed like an awfully long time, but schedules are schedules, so I was ok to go with it.

Then the artist started to critique the shot, saying that he would have to reposition her arm because it was difficult to tell what she was doing. This I didn't understand, since it was a custom watchface for me, and I'd certainly know what she was doing. It was then explained to me that the selected frames were not only reviewed for content, but for marketability. Any approved character or pose gets offered to the public. Essentially, if you do bring in a specific pose or character, it's not for a unique piece of art that you're ordering, it's a submission into the general design book. So what was an image chosen for personal reasons now becomes now becomes nothing more than the character's "Pose #4" on the menu.

So my 'smack' frame that I was happy to pay and wait for would have to be deemed 'marketable' enough in order for someone to draw it. The same would go for my second custom, that of a watch just depicting Roo from Winnie the Pooh (apparently, Roo alone is not marketable enough, so this would be rejected as well).

So there I was, a customer happy to hand over whatever price they were asking, and content to wait the several months for bureaucracy, and I'm still being told that my custom Jessica and custom Roo watches were a 'maybe' at best, and even if they were done, they'd be modified from my original selection. I honestly can't say that I'm surprised that so few of these were sold.
    Last edited by AMUSIX; 10-29-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AMUSIX View Post
    I'd also suggest that, in addition to the price, the hurdles of getting a custom watch were simply too much.

I went to the park earlier this year with the intention of getting a custom made art piece. I had inquired about the watches previously, and was told that you could either choose one of the designs in the book, or, if you wanted, you could bring in a good capture from a movie (for characters and poses not found in their design books). I was also warned that certain poses and images couldn't be done (I found this very understandable, as things can be taken out of context).

Well, I wanted to have Jessica Rabbit done showing strength and attitude (rather than the sultry/sexuality that they normally draw) and wanted to have Roo shown on his own (instead of always being with his mother, or with another companion). So I went through movies frame by frame and printed up four possibilities.

In any case, my top image was of the moment when Jessica smacks Valiant, showing a 'fierce jessica'. When I brought it in, I was told that it would have to be submitted for review, which would take a few months, and then, if it passed, it would be a while after that before the watch was made. It seemed like an awfully long time, but schedules are schedules, so I was ok to go with it.

Then the artist started to critique the shot, saying that he would have to reposition her arm because it was difficult to tell what she was doing. This I didn't understand, since it was a custom watchface for me, and I'd certainly know what she was doing. It was then explained to me that the selected frames were not only reviewed for content, but for marketability. Any approved character or pose gets offered to the public. Essentially, if you do bring in a specific pose or character, it's not for a unique piece of art that you're ordering, it's a submission into the general design book. So what was an image chosen for personal reasons now becomes now becomes nothing more than the character's "Pose #4" on the menu.

So my 'smack' frame that I was happy to pay and wait for would have to be deemed 'marketable' enough in order for someone to draw it. The same would go for my second custom, that of a watch just depicting Roo from Winnie the Pooh (apparently, Roo alone is not marketable enough, so this would be rejected as well).

So there I was, a customer happy to hand over whatever price they were asking, and content to wait the several months for bureaucracy, and I'm still being told that my custom Jessica and custom Roo watches were a 'maybe' at best, and even if they were done, they'd be modified from my original selection. I honestly can't say that I'm surprised that so few of these were sold.

Wow that is really lame of them to do. I can understand checks to make sure the scene is appropriate, but "marketability?" Way to treat your biggest spenders, Disney.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Rock Star Minion

Do not misrepresent my words, please. You have no idea what kind of r-word I get when this happens.
    It's the AP PROGRAM that is the one policy that causes every problem.

I never bought a watch, either. I liked that it was there. But if it's gonna take that much red tape, then I'm glad I didn't inquire. Buying something like that would be like choosing a tattoo. It's something that should last forever and it should be very personal. (Mainly because of the cost, and that I'd be wearing it all the time.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Do not misrepresent my words, please. You have no idea what kind of r-word I get when this happens.
    It's the AP PROGRAM that is the one policy that causes every problem.

I never bought a watch, either. I liked that it was there. But if it's gonna take that much red tape, then I'm glad I didn't inquire. Buying something like that would be like choosing a tattoo. It's something that should last forever and it should be very personal. (Mainly because of the cost, and that I'd be wearing it all the time.)
    Calm down. How did I misrepresent your words? There are lots of things you can blame on the AP program, but I don't think this is one of them. If anything the AP program probably keeps a lot of collectible product lines at Disney in business. The watches were just too niche of an item to appeal to vast majority of guests. Too expensive to attract a casual collector like pins or Vinylmations do and not enough high end collectors to keep it going like the Disney Gallery or Wonderground Gallery art pieces.

You could scrap the whole AP program and this likely wouldn't survive because the market has changed. I'd love to see American Indians practicing their traditional crafts again in Frontierland, but those disappeared due to lack of interest well before the AP program.

• Senior Minion

I'd love to see American Indians practicing their traditional crafts again in Frontierland, but those disappeared due to lack of interest well before the AP program.
    No, they were removed by Disney because of changing political views on the treatment of Native Americans and the use of their cultural traditions for commercial purposes.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Rock Star Minion

Calm down. How did I misrepresent your words? There are lots of things you can blame on the AP program, but I don't think this is one of them. If anything the AP program probably keeps a lot of collectible product lines at Disney in business. The watches were just too niche of an item to appeal to vast majority of guests. Too expensive to attract a casual collector like pins or Vinylmations do and not enough high end collectors to keep it going like the Disney Gallery or Wonderground Gallery art pieces.

You could scrap the whole AP program and this likely wouldn't survive because the market has changed. I'd love to see American Indians practicing their traditional crafts again in Frontierland, but those disappeared due to lack of interest well before the AP program.
    When you write "blame the AP's," some people will think I'm actually doing that.

Thing is, the PROGRAM causes TDA to look for more revenue, such that every retail space not holding its own is up for a renovation of some kind. Without the PROGRAM, more revenue comes from admissions, which means that the whole park is an attraction and watchpainting is part of the show that people paid to see. And TDA can then focus on attracting more paying guests at the gate instead of prying more money from their wallets once they're in.

I do agree that it was very niche. And there is no reason to have the shop right there on Main Street, when someone could do all the red-tape work via online. But it is an example of "declining by degrees," in which something is taken out and replaced by something less.
    Last edited by sediment; 10-30-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast