Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• formerly very helpful

Who we should complain to

If this doesn't belong here, Mods, please redirect it to its proper place.

There is always a lot of conversation on these threads about what we don't like about what Disney is doing regarding our theme parks. I will admit, I also get into some of these discussions. While discussing Disneyland's problems isn't in itself necessarily a bad thing, the truth is a bunch of fans complaining on the internet just isn't too productive a forum for getting things done.

I'm wondering, how many people actually take their concerns to Disney, itself? There was a time that if one wasn't happy about how a company was doing they would pull out paper and ink, and write a letter to that company explaining why. Nowadays, if we get mad, we get on the internet and gripe away. I'm as guilty of this as the next person.

So, to repeat my question, who complains to DIsney, instead of to other fans?

And I don't mean or condone a rude, curse word-filled obscene letter written to offend, which will end up thrown out, but a professional, well-written and polite letter that business people may actually listen to.

Re: Who we should complain to

I can totally understand where you are coming from. But honestly, the only thing that most corporations listen to is customer spending. As long as visitors continue to come to the parks in droves and spend huge amounts of money on over-priced trinkets nothing will change.

The only real way to have your opinion heard is to stop supporting Disney with your wallet.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• Parking Lot > DCA

You are 100% right about people getting angry and griping on the Internet about their problems. Everyone here is guilty of that to some extent. I know of a few people on here who have sent emails and olde tyme letters to the Disney Company complaining about bad trips, or trying to save certain aspects of the park from being removed. As far as I know, shockingly they don't ever get anything back in return though..

•   
    • Minion

I do. I've written several emails to Disney, both to compliment CMs and to complain about various things. I'm always polite, always businesslike, and always very specific about my issue -- and I always hear back from Disney.

As for the griping online? Well, I do it too, I think we all do. We all like to vent. It can be helpful, I think, if just for giving us the chance to get the issue off our chests.

---------- Post added 10-29-2012 at 08:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    The only real way to have your opinion heard is to stop supporting Disney with your wallet.
    This is, I'm afraid, true as well. I've had luck writing to corporate/etc. but at the end of the day, Disney's goal is to maximize profit. If customers vote with their wallets, it probably is more effective than a thousand emails ever could be.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    I can totally understand where you are coming from. But honestly, the only thing that most corporations listen to is customer spending. As long as visitors continue to come to the parks in droves and spend huge amounts of money on over-priced trinkets nothing will change.

This.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

By emailing them or City Hall...and to be honest the internet CAN work...look at the Aladdin show...they said it was coming people said they didn't want it and then bam...we did not get it...I'm there was more to it but I talked to an Actor from the show and they said the Fans were a HUGE factor to keeping the show

• formerly very helpful

I agree, that their bottom line is the bottom line. If they have reason to believe they can make more money in one way or another, that's what they'll do. But I wonder if they were bombarded with comments or concerns about a specific issue; if it was made clear that something would be a bad business decision, would they pay attention?

• My Children's Father

I think a well-written piece of correspondance in conjunction with keeping your wallet/purse closed would be best. Unless you spend the equivalent of the GNP of an Eastern European nation while visiting the parks, your money's absence will hardly go noticed without something communicating the reason to the company.

On the other hand, complaining to the readers of MiceChat and other web-based tools can, theoretically anyway, garner support from a large enough multitude to affect things In a way that even the obtuse management at Disney would notice.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• a damsel not in distress

we also have to look at where these complaints are coming from. we are a group of disney fanatics who take time out of our day to peruse a disney forum and discuss all these details; we are the minority. in truth, a large portion of disneyland visitors are families and people who like disney, but aren't obsessed over it. they probably have complaints, don't get me wrong, but don't look into the details ahead of time to know or really form a strong opinion on what is happening.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

You all bring up very valid points about "complaining" to City Hall, etc. I agree that it certainly can't hurt to do so. However, it is my experience that it will fall on deaf ears. Yes, complaints are something that any company has to deal with. But for every complainer there are 10 visitors who see absolutely nothing wrong and are paying through the nose for everything in the park. These are the guests that Disney is catering to.

As we have all seen, change can and does come to DLR, it's just that Disney is isn't in any kind of hurry to put these changes into effect. The most change happens when the complaints start effecting the bottom line.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

Well I actually conduct the surveys when asked and in additon I have sent letters of conern, whether anyone reads them or not who knows but at least I did what I felt was best.

• formerly very helpful

In my experience, I've always written my letters to the top echelon (sp?) of a company. Good letters, as well as complaints. The top guy won't take care of it personally, but will send it down to the person below him. That person will read it and pass it on, and so on, until it gets to the right person. What happens is lots of execs learn about your complaint (or compliment) and they'll get unhappy that something is breaking down (or happy that something is going well.) In my experience, something is usually done to try and make me happy. Either coupons, or free products or something.
    Since they know that MOST people won't bother to write, the letters each count for a certain number of customer comments. If enough go through, sometimes bigger problems will be adressed.
    After all, it was a letter writing campaign that saved Star Trek in the 1960s.

• Minion

My husband and I are very big on writing letters, both to complain and congratulate. Our motto is "Well, it may not change things, but it makes me feel better knowing I've spoken my mind".

Although I agree that chances are that a letter written to a mega-corporation like Disney probably won't bring about huge changes on it's own, who knows? After all "A mighty oak from a little acorn grows".
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Foolish Mortal

To be honest here Disney and other big corporations could care less about our opinions because regardless they're making money and lots of it. The only way they'll care is if we boycott them. I don't like somethings in Disneyland (prices, taking Rex out of Star Tours, Marvel coming soon, etc.) but I learned to deal with their changes and I still love Disneyland and enjoy going. But yeah, I highly doubt Disney will take our opinions into consideration.

"So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time."- Green Day
    "The harder you work, the luckier you get."- Billie Joe Armstrong
    "This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

• Minion

I wonder if the people who have complaints but don't say anything are the same people who don't vote...

It's hard to imagine that one person's opinions have any bearing on what the Disney corporation does, but if everyone had that same train of thought, then of course the outcome is as expected. If you have a serious issue with some part of Disneyland that you want to see changed, take five minutes and just write a well-worded email. You can even take the time you would use to post on MiceChat to convey your thoughts to the right people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast