Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Jungle Cruise boat came off the tracks... what an experience!

So I need to preface this by saying that this is NOT a rant nor a complaint. It's just an interesting experience that we had at Disneyland on Friday, and one that I doubt has happened to many people so I thought I'd share.

Friday morning we were over in Adventure Land and having a great time. We had just finished Haunted Mansion and Pirates and decided to go on The Jungle Cruise. The line wasn't long at all, and we got right on the boat. We started going just like normal, and the skipper was telling all his normal jokes, though I thought it was funny because he was telling them 'wrong.' For example, instead of saying "Oh man, look what these gorillas have done to that jeep! They left the lights on! Now they'll never get it to turn over..." He said "Oh no, those gorillas left the lights on on that jeep... now they'll never get it to start." It made me laugh as I thought how sad it was that I probably knew the classic/standard jokes better than he did. I go to Disneyland a lot . So anyway, just after we past Schwitzer Falls (named after famed explorer Alexander Falls) I started hearing a strange scraping noise, like metal on metal. The boat was slightly lurching as we were going past the African elephants (just before the sleeping zebra part). It was noticeable, but not violent at all. Then just as we were coming into the savannah area, the boat felt like it hit something underneath and stopped dead. It was a quick stop, but nobody got tossed over or anything. I was pretty sure what was going on, but was surprised as I had never had this happen to me or anyone I knew before (the skipper said it happens about every other month).

The skipper then pulled out his gun and fired 6 shots into the air, and then went under the bow to get a radio to let someone in 'jungle control' know that our back pin came off the track and we needed assistance. They made a PA announcement to have all boats return to the dock and we sat and waited. And waited, and then waited some more. We waited probably 20-30 minutes there. Finally a boat came up behind us with about 4 cast members in their jungle attire (I'm assuming other skippers who had dropped off their guests) and 4 mechanics. The mechanics came on board and tried to get things corrected but couldn't do it right then and there, and opted to transfer everyone to the boat behind us. It was a fun experience to climb out the back of one of the boats and onto the bow of another, especially for my wife who's 8 months pregnant (did I mention we're Disney nuts?). Everyone made it fine, and we backed up all the way to the dock. It was kind of fun to see all the animatronics turned off. The waterfall where Bertha the elephant is bathing was turned off, and she wasn't moving, the upside down jeeps tires weren't spinning, etc. It was pretty neat to see.

When we got back to the dock there were several more Jungle Cruise cast members waiting there, along with several of the cast members wearing plaid (I guess they're called 'plaids'). They ended up giving everyone a fast pass to get up to 6 people on any attraction in the park (except Haunted Mansion or Space Mountain). They also gave everyone vouchers for $10 in Disney dining (we got 3 of them, and were pretty excited as this was entirely unexpected). They were very apologetic, though I think everyone on the boat was understanding, and nobody seemed to be upset in the least by the experience.

Overall, it was actually a lot of fun. Not many people get to have this sort of experience, and we actually consider ourselves lucky to have had it. We were able to make a fun, unique memory and have a really good story to tell now. I guess what had happened was the boat was slightly over crowded on the left (so it was leaning left), then we came around the right turn at the Falls and caught the wake of a boat that was passing underneath the falls. It made sort of the perfect storm to lift the back pin off of the track.

Anyway, I may write up my first, full and complete trip report later on, but I just wanted to at least share with everyone our experience here, because I'm sure some on here would be curious to know what happens when a jungle cruise boat comes off the track. Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed it!

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Re: Jungle Cruise boat came off the tracks... what an experience!

Wow thanks for sharing. I have never heard of that happening. I did know that the number of gun shots the Skipper shoots off means something. I guess 6 means S.O.S.?

Quote Originally Posted by Supertank View Post
    Overall, it was actually a lot of fun.
    Good for you

• World Famous Gold Mickey

And with you being disney nuts you now have such a cool disney story to tell......

Gold Mickey says:
    You really had a adventure on the Jungle Cruise !
    Oh and I check with the maintace guys - it wasn't the pin.....
    It was either one of the hippos or gators that caused the problem.

May All Your Days Be Disney Days !

• Parking Lot > DCA

That is awesome! Glad everyone had a cool head about it too. That always makes it easier for everyone. Glad your trip was great!

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Wow, I've never gotten a dining voucher for ride breakdowns. You are lucky.

• Blew By You

I've experienced only 2 breakdowns during all of my visits, so it's interesting to read about them.

Great story. I've always wanted to get stuck on the JC.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• formerly very helpful

Great story. I agree it was good that everyone stayed calm. I'm sure this expediated taking care of the whole thing. Maybe the food vouchers were a "reward" for being cool about it.

---------- Post added 10-29-2012 at 10:15 AM ----------

And did you get any pictures?

• a damsel not in distress

i've always wondered how they handle break downs on the jungle cruise, so thanks for sharing! i'm used to getting the re-admittance passes, but the dining vouchers must have been a nice surprise! i wonder if it's because they took a while to get out to you guys...

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    Wow, I've never gotten a dining voucher for ride breakdowns. You are lucky.
    LOL I agree. I don't know if I'm more amazed about the JC boat coming off the tracks or the fact that Disney gave away free $10 dining vouchers.

• former CM

Great post, Supertank! Thanks!

(I predict an awesome commentary post from Techskip!) [Update: Techskip used to be a leader on this attraction so I was interested in his commentary, especially on how the guests were compensated for this interesting inconvenience. He did post on p. 2.]

That was an excellent response by Disney. Something went wrong, but I wish I had been on that boat. I wouldn't have liked to have been the guide on that trip though.
    Hey, did I mention that I used to be a Jungle Cruise Guide? It was a very different jungle back then, meaner and wilder. . .
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-29-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post

And did you get any pictures?
    Sadly we didn't get any photos. They asked guests to put their cameras away when they tried to film/snap pictures.

Also, I'm not sure why they opted to do the dining vouchers, but it's probably just because we had to wait so long, and it was pretty tough transferring boats out there. The funny thing is that half the dining vouchers they were handing out were expired. We didn't notice until after we went and grabbed our stroller and then we went back and traded them for ones that hadn't expired. Hopefully the people who got expired vouchers were still able to use them...

My wife went to change my daughters diaper after we got off the ride, and I was perusing in the Bazaar across from the Jungle Cruise, and the wind blew some papers off the counter. I picked them up and realized it was someones fast pass and 3 dining vouchers they had just been issued on the Jungle Cruise, which they had promptly lost at the check out counter. I gave them to the CM at the register, and I hope that whoever it was figured out that they had lost them and remembered where so that they could go and get them. I would have been bummed if we had lost ours. We saved them for dinner and had chicken nuggets/corn dog and two large sodas at the Golden Horseshoe. Not too shabby, and we still have one of the vouchers for our next trip

I think the dining credits were in return for the extra effort it took to transfer boats.

Well handled, Disney.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Team Hail HYDRA

was the boat that came up a normal boat or a barge???

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    was the boat that came up a normal boat or a barge???
    It was a normal boat.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast