Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

• film975

Re: Disney to Acquire LucasFilm

Quote Originally Posted by Awe_inspired View Post
    Option 1: Change all of Tomorrowland to Star Wars-land (the anti-Potter at USH) Space Mtn retheme by installing floor to ceiling screens, riders wear 3D goggles, projections change with each ride from space, to flying around Coruscant, to Hoth, etc. C- ticket for Starcade's two floors using same vehicles as Mater's Junkyard but moving along a track through show scenes, Terrace rethemed to Cantina, E-ticket to take the place of Innoventions, Pizza Port and Captain EO theater visiting several environs from the Star Wars Universe using suspended roller coaster instead of OMNI mover for a mild thrill, retheme Lightyear to Stormtroopers/battle droids/baddies shooter, retheme subs to Naboo, retheme autopia to sand speeders on Tatooine, retheme PM to Speeder Bikes or at least place "trains" of ships up there "flying around", Move AO back on top of PM station retheme to X-wings and TIE fighters (geez long post!) Option 2: Remove Innoventions, Pizza Port, Capt EO theater replace with Journey to the Center of the Earth AND 20K Leagues near Nemo. Option 3: Change Innoventions to OMNI or suspended coaster ride visiting different planets- hot, cold, rainy, foggy, windy, all sorts of different environments/creatures to see/smell/hear. Beautiful, bizarre, scary... Mild randomly placed scares
    Why mess with a great attraction such as Space Mountain? It's perfect just the way it is.

• Minion

Re: Well... Star Tours is a Disney movie attraction now....

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    I guess that means everyone will want it removed from the parks and treat it like Marvel..... I myself think it's a great move!!!
    Too little too late.

Another acquisition after the company had passed it's peak.

Disney will squeeze the library for all it's worth, but what will they actually be able to do with Lucasfilm itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    You missed a couple.

2022 Disney buys Twitter
    2022 Disney buys Instagram

2023 Disney buys Facebook
    2024 Disney becomes "self-aware".................. "launches war against mankind"......

• Disneyland History Lover

Before I became a hardcore Disney fan, I was a hardcore Star Wars fan. And I still am. This news did not come as a shock to me, and while many do not like it, I feel quite confident about this move. There are actually several things at play here.

Regardless of what we might think of George's filmmaking over the last decade, the fact is that he has been a remarkable businessman from day 1. Look at what he has accomplished outside of Star Wars... Lucasfilm is a giant company that includes ILM, Skywalker Sound, and LucasArts. He had a hand in the early development of Pixar before Steve Jobs got his hands on it. The merchandising licenses held by a multitude of other companies is tremendous! What has happened here is that George made a business move, and a smart one at that. Rather than let the future of his company lie in shambles after he becomes one with the Force, he has made a proactive decision to let another company take over. The Walt Disney Company is the biggest entertainment company in the world. They have acquired many companies and properties in the last few decades. They also tend to put out quality product that is successful and makes money. If any company were to acquire Lucasfilm, it was always going to be Disney. Since the '80s, Disney has had a relationship with Lucasfilm. You can experience Star Wars and Indiana Jones in many of the Disney parks. They have been in a good position to purchase Lucasfilm for a long time now, and it has been rumored in a few circles that this would eventually happen. Now, it has. I, for one, am very optimistic about this. I am confident that Disney will be a good protector of Star Wars as we know it, but I also feel strongly that they will move to expand the brand and do good, fresh things with it. If Pixar and Marvel are any indications as to what Disney can do when they purchase companies and continue to let them do their thing, the future can only be bright for Star Wars.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Too little too late.

Bingo.

Disney will squeeze the library for all it's worth, but what will they actually be able to do with Lucasfilm itself?
    You mean besides just marketing what Lucas has already developed in the last 35 years? You mean like... actually innovating new product that would grow the brand for the future?

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    Why mess with a great attraction such as Space Mountain? It's perfect just the way it is.
    To the marketeers at Disney, nothing's "perfect" until it has a franchise brand tie-in.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Generation after generation has embraced the Star Wars universe, it's not unlikely that Disney can help develop the franchise even further for even more generations.

Having Disney also acquire Skywalker Sound, Lucas Arts and ILM is big. These are leading edge companies that Disney/Pixar was already spending money with. Skywalker Ranch was overbuilt as a pet project for Lucas, but a larger entity like Disney can really take advantage of that facility.

•   
    • Minion

Too little too late.

LOl passed it's peak LOLOOL no way Sorry but that is further from the truth there is so much out there Star Wars related and still current. They aren't just about the movies. The books the comics the fan base and it's presence in the Disney parks already.

with Lucasfilm itself ummm they are making Episode 7 8 9 to start

• Blew By You

It's been awhile coming, but glad to have the Lucas force with us.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Lucas and Disney do make perfect bedfellows.

After all both began as individuals who were passionate about creative storytelling and then turned into corporations that shoved creativity to the side for maximum profit.

Sounds like a match to me.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

This is all nice & fine, but what raised my eyebrow more than anything is this little tidbit.

"Disney is paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing based on Disney’s stock price on October 26. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm chairman and founder Lucas."

That's a lot of shares within the hands of one man. There's also the supposed $3+ Billion of stock in the grasp of Steve Jobs' estate. Between the two that would appear to be a considerable amount of clout. By my rough guesstimate that would make about 11-12% of all Disney stock in the hands of two concerns. Just wondering on who is buying who?

And by the way, Flynnibus, that pic is brilliant!
    Last edited by gomezaddams; 10-30-2012 at 08:30 PM. Reason: typo
    Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

I actually haven't been this satisfied since the acquisition of Pixar. These two companies go perfect together and I'm very excited for them.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Banned User

Tony Baxter is drawing up schematics as we speak!

•   
    • Minion

I guess I'm out of the loop on this one...I assumed, with the Star Wars and Indy attractions and merch, that Disney already owned Lucasfilm.

One of the positives is the fact that they don't have licence Indy or Star Wars.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Quote Originally Posted by gomezaddams View Post
    This is all nice & fine, but what raised my eyebrow more than anything is this little tidbit.

"Disney is paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing based on Disney’s stock price on October 26. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm chairman and founder Lucas."

That's a lot of shares within the hands of one man. There's also the supposed $3+ Billion of stock in the grasp of Steve Jobs' estate. Between the two that would appear to be a considerable amount of clout. By my rough guesstimate that would make about 11-12% of all Disney stock in the hands of two concerns. Just wondering on who is buying who?

And by the way, Flynnibus, that pic is brilliant!
    Listened to the conference online earlier I thought I heard that the plan is for Disney to buy back the stock a few years down the line.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast