Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 291011121314 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Disney to Acquire LucasFilm

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    Then Disney should start negotiating with Paramount to buy out their rights to Indy.
    Disney bought Marvel 3 years ago and they still haven't gotten the rights back to X-Men, Spiderman, Fantastic Four and Ghost Rider.

• Banned User

I just realized something a little while ago.....I guess you could say that Lucas has been "dancing with the devil," so to speak, for the last 30 years or so anyway, so this is in many respects not that terribly surprising a conclusion.... you know, "once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will...." Dude didn't even listen to his own advice.

Some of you are wondering what I'm talking about. This goes back a ways for me, back to the very beginning. I was 11 when I saw Star Wars in 1977. I was THE target audience for the film, and I loved it just as much as all the other kids of my generation did. But I became an absolute NUT, a geeky koo-koo fanboy, for everything Star Wars-related when The Empire Strikes Back came out in 1980. I lived & breathed Star Wars, Lucasfilm, and by extension Steven Spielberg. Lucas was like a god to me. I dreamed about going to USC Film School, because he went there. I started watching a bunch of old movies that I never would have watched on my own, but only because HE had seen them and they'd influenced him. I saw my first Kurosawa movies, because George Lucas liked Kurosawa movies. I even once tried to call him on the phone to get an interview for my high school newspaper (got as far as his secretary, which still blows me away). This man was my HERO. He WAS Luke, the outsider from the hot desert farmland of Modesto/Tatooine who stood up to the evil Hollywood Empire and won.

But things started changing in the early 80s. Lucasfilm moved up north to Marin County, and ground was broken on Skywalker Ranch. Lucas teamed up with Spielberg for Raiders of the Lost Ark, and that became a colossal hit. Of course, as we now know, around that time he also began discussions with Ron Miller, then-President of Walt Disney Productions, about what would later become Star Tours. But, also, around this time (roughly 1983) Lucas' marriage crumbled, and his focus was really no longer on Star Wars, or on filmmaking, from a storytelling standpoint. Interviews with him at the time no longer focused on cinematic creativity or about the Star Wars story or characters. They were about business decisions and the building of this new empire up north. Lucas talked about making "small, personal, avant-garde films" that didn't have wide commercial appeal, but nothing ever came of it (still hasn't, and he's STILL talking about it). Lucas wasn't so much an outsider anymore, or a rebel against the Hollywood Empire, he was more of a friendly rival that Hollywood was all too eager to do business with. He was like a hippie who lived off-grid and ate vegan but then got a shave and a haircut and bought an iPhone. Something was different than it had been.

I guess what's been bugging me about Lucas and the whole Star Wars franchise, including the prequels, for so many years, really began a little while after Return of the Jedi came out back in '83 (which I saw on Opening Day, of course, after sleeping on concrete all night outside the theater amongst the rest of the extended Nerd Family, my head cushioned by my Star Wars pillowcase-enclosed pillows). Even though I wept like a baby when I first saw it and thought it was the greatest ever, after a few viewings I started to realize that it was a bit of a cheat, story-wise, and that in some respects it was treading over old ground and wrapping up a whole bunch of loose ends just a little too neatly and quickly, and that began to gnaw at me. Something was wrong; I felt a disturbance in the Force, so to speak. Something was missing in the whole equation, but I didn't quite know what it was. Plus, around the same time, the OT was hitting home video and cable (after Lucas had declared it never would, that it would always be theatrical-only). It was like an overall cheapening of the brand, creatively speaking (for lack of a better phrase). Of course by then, Gary Kurtz had parted ways with Lucas, and I think that was the major shift in the whole enterprise, when Kurtz left (and why). We never knew why he left until just a few years ago, though, and when I read the interview with Kurtz in the LA Times, I was like "I knew it!"

“I could see where things were headed,” Kurtz said. “The toy business began to drive the [Lucasfilm] empire. It’s a shame. They make three times as much on toys as they do on films. It’s natural to make decisions that protect the toy business, but that’s not the best thing for making quality films.” He added: “The first film and ‘Empire’ were about story and character, but I could see that George’s priorities were changing.”

Did ‘Star Wars’ become a toy story? Producer Gary Kurtz looks back [Updated] | Hero Complex – movies, comics, pop culture – latimes.com

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    Then Disney should start negotiating with Paramount to buy out their rights to Indy.
    Just one more film. Let Paramount finish their last film and then the film rights will revert back to Disney. Or Disney can ask for more money.

Disney has a limited slate of film production. Of late, they decreased their upcoming film production. They can't possible keep up with all their film properties. They do need to license them out or let their rot hanging on the vine.

Here's a photo of the newest EPCOT attraction!

Name:  DeathStar EPCOT (Copy).jpg
Views: 254
Size:  159.4 KB

• Disneyland Man

Queue the American Gaffitti 1950s theme fix for Hollywoodland backlot corner. Mel's is already there, the drive-in diner just waiting to move in next door. How is Anneette doing these days anyway?

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    - - Walt Disney

• AKA - DisneyChris

Disney should have owned Star Wars and Raiders from the beginning - and they were actually approached by Lucas first with a concept to produce Star Wars, but sadly they turned him down. This was a huge blunder. It would have revitalized the company at an important time, and the hostel takeover scare of the early 80's would have never happened. I always felt like Disney should have been a part of this franchise. This is a marriage made in heaven. Now I actually feel ok about the parks having attractions based on Star Wars and Indiana Jones - Before I was a little uneasy about it, because these were not official Disney films. But now that it is official, it feels right. I am happy about this, and look forward to seeing great creative things in the future.

Of course, I do not feel this way about the Muppets, or the Marvel Comics franchises for some reason. They just don't have the same symbiotic feeling with Disney that Lucas feels seems to have. I think the World of Star Wars and the World of Indiana Jones are very much in keeping with the Disney brand, but the other two are more distinct entities, and non-Disney to me. I like both of these franchises on their own, but they just don't fit in with Disney.

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Maybe the the parks they can mess up...but were finally getting episode 7,8 and 9...omg
    Last edited by JerrodDRagon; 10-31-2012 at 01:38 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    Quite frankly, Wren, in my perfect world, there would not be a Star Wars ride in DL either. Nor Indy, nor Marvel, nor anything but Disney-produced IP, combined w/ original stories based on legendary archetypes.

Now that we've cleared that up, honestly, I'm over it. I have accepted that Disney now exists in name only. The creative enterprise launched by a self-made man from Missouri has been replaced by an IP holding company named after said man, and whose primary businesses are acquisitions and marketing. It just so happens that among those holdings are the assets of the former Walt Disney Productions.

What does that mean for me? It means I can let go. I don't have to keep trying to believe in magic when the people trying to sell me said magic clearly don't believe in it themselves. I can decide what made DL magical for me and go find that magic in other places. In doing so, I've fulfilled DL's original mission statement by "find[ing] happiness and knowledge." DL is still a fun place to go, but there's a lot more to the world than princesses and pirates.
    Took the words right out of my mouth. The Eisner Empire Strikes Back.

I dont want any star wars attractions at the park. Haha

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by burkesox98 View Post
    I dont want any star wars attractions at the park. Haha
    Little late for that
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    “I could see where things were headed,” Kurtz said. “The toy business began to drive the [Lucasfilm] empire. It’s a shame. They make three times as much on toys as they do on films. It’s natural to make decisions that protect the toy business, but that’s not the best thing for making quality films.” He added: “The first film and ‘Empire’ were about story and character, but I could see that George’s priorities were changing.”

Did ‘Star Wars’ become a toy story? Producer Gary Kurtz looks back [Updated] | Hero Complex – movies, comics, pop culture – latimes.com
    Exactly. It's that aspect of what LucasFilm became that makes its sale to the media marketing empire that Disney became, so perfect.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Exactly. It's that aspect of what LucasFilm became that makes its sale to the media marketing empire that Disney became, so perfect.
    Became? Pretty sure Disney was an entertaninment company to begin with.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^no no when Walt rain it..he used magic and art to run the company

All was good in the world...then the 80's came they let Star Wars into the parks and just kept buying companies and just to make a dime (billions) they are evil now for wanting money and making people happy at the same time (end of sarcastic rant)

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Became? Pretty sure Disney was an entertaninment company to begin with.
    Correct. And as Broadway Guru said in his post above, it's now an IP holding, acquisition and marketing corporation which just so happens to have, among LucasFilm, Marvel, cruise lines, hotels, theme parks, TV and cable networks and numerous other holdings, the assets of the former Walt Disney Productions.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Too little too late.

Another acquisition after the company had passed it's peak.

Disney will squeeze the library for all it's worth, but what will they actually be able to do with Lucasfilm itself?
    It's not unlike Disney itself, I suppose--well past its peak, but still manages to be a going concern with regard to profitability.

Quote Originally Posted by sdjeff4sc View Post
    2024 Disney becomes "self-aware"..................
    That'll be the day....

but on the other hand it takes a lot of what Lucas has said in the past and throws them all up in the air, and in some respects contradicts previous decisions and announcements he's made about Star Wars
    Isn't that par for the course with Lucas, though, with the "Special Edition" bastardization of his own movies directly contradicting passionate statements he had made on several occasions regarding the preservation of art? Frankly, I'd be more surprised if he actually meant anything he ever said.

I just feel......WEIRD.......about this. Like if my dad left my mom and remarried my best friend's mom, who I like. A really awkward blend of feeling deep betrayal and the acknowledgement that you gotta do what's best for you and that maybe this is the best thing for everyone after all.
    The significant Lucasfilm presence in the parks has always felt a bit weird to me, so if anything it maybe feels slightly less weird now.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 291011121314 LastLast