Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: OK, Earl of Sandwich is now OPEN....

For everyone throwing out the "but it's a soft opening" excuse....no. Sorry, that doesn't cut it. I don't buy that as a valid excuse. If anything, the soft opening process allows them to identify problems that need immediate fixing, such as the long wait (which, again, is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE). If management is on top of things, they will know about the long wait times, and they will work double overtime to correct those mistakes. We are not talking about a ride at Disneyland, where you're having to deal with machinery and people fitting into vehicles. This is simple sandwich-making. It's one thing for a HUGE order (say, several dozen, or a few hundred) to take 30 minutes or an hour or so, but not a simple 3-sandwich combo order. Something like that should take 10-15 minutes TOPS, and that would be because you had to go get some ingredient out of the walk-in fridge, or you were waiting on more baked bread, or something along those lines. Normal turn-around for made-to-order sandwiches should be order-to-serve within 5 minutes. 25 minutes, or more, and there is some serious slacking going on.

Anybody ever watch Bar Rescue on SpikeTV? From the sound of it, EoS needs Jon Taffer's advice.

• My Children's Father

Has anyone noticed a drop-off in busy-ness at ESPN Zone or Rainforest Cafe?
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    For everyone throwing out the "but it's a soft opening" excuse....no. Sorry, that doesn't cut it. I don't buy that as a valid excuse. If anything, the soft opening process allows them to identify problems that need immediate fixing, such as the long wait (which, again, is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE). If management is on top of things, they will know about the long wait times, and they will work double overtime to correct those mistakes. We are not talking about a ride at Disneyland, where you're having to deal with machinery and people fitting into vehicles. This is simple sandwich-making. It's one thing for a HUGE order (say, several dozen, or a few hundred) to take 30 minutes or an hour or so, but not a simple 3-sandwich combo order. Something like that should take 10-15 minutes TOPS, and that would be because you had to go get some ingredient out of the walk-in fridge, or you were waiting on more baked bread, or something along those lines. Normal turn-around for made-to-order sandwiches should be order-to-serve within 5 minutes. 25 minutes, or more, and there is some serious slacking going on.

Anybody ever watch Bar Rescue on SpikeTV? From the sound of it, EoS needs Jon Taffer's advice.

Good post, Retrocool!

• I'm not really here

The Vegas strip Earl has a wait in line that can be 10-20 minutes just because people are stupid and wait till they are at the register to even look at the menu. Not much can be done about that. Even passing out menus in lines doesn't always help that. However, once you order the wait in Vegas is less than 5 minutes every time for your food, and that's on the toasted sandwiches.

When a Taco Bell opened near my house as a teenager, everyone went that first night. There were easily a thousand people there. Newly opened places do indeed draw larger crowds than typical demand... so this is indeed a factor. The wait for food at the Taco Bell opening night was about an hour. When this didn't change after a week, they actually fired just about everyone and borrowed an employee from 2 or 3 nearby Taco Bells to train the new hires better.

Hopefully within another couple days they get this sorted out and people get into their grooves.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
    • Minion

I couldn't disagree more with this post. Soft openings do help with working out kinks. Also long lines are expected as new employees are getting trained and dealing with a new enviroment. This is absoultely no different than a new attraction opening.

I used to open new stores for my company and soft openings are not easy. You will get computer failures from a higher than expected demand or just the plain fact that they are computers and not perfect. You will get customers who have never had it before trying to figure out what to order. Creating special orders that deviate from what the workers have been trained on. Logistics in a buisness isn't as easy as you all might think. Making a sandwich at home for yourself is a lot different than dealing with a line of people coming up to order. As the employees work through this they will get faster. In the case of this establishment they have no idea what the demand is as it is the FIRST one in the area maybe even the state.

All this judgement on a shop that has been open 4 days is almost humourous. In fact today is the first real open day the past couple have been soft openings. A valid judgement in their process would be to visit it in a couple weeks.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

'Rome wasn't built in a day'

There are a lot of other factors that you're not considering. Like I said before, soft openings are meant to work out kinks. They've only been soft opening for a few days now. Look at the reports. People have initially waited waited 60-90 minutes for EoS. Somebody just yesterday reported they waited 25 minutes. That's a VAST improvement already. Especially the fact that they're a brand new location, with a brand new staff, with all brand new equipment. You can't possibly expect the new EoS employees to be experts within 1-2 days of operation, which was when everyone on this thread was 'up in arms.' There is so much to learn and so many things they need to get used to. And, I'm sure a majority of the employees are working part-time as is with most fast food locations. So really, there are even MORE new employees that need to get used to their new job. When you first started your first job, you weren't immediately an expert right? Now imagine that x10!

In addition, if you've seen the pictures, the lines have been EXTREMELY long. My friend went to EoS on Wednesday night (at about maybe 9 or 10) and she posted a pic of the line. This line extended to a little more than past their outside seating area. That is a LOT of people but she said it only took about 20 minutes. IMO, that's pretty darn good. Ever since EoS was announced, most of SoCal was buzzing with excitement. People LOVE EoS and probably would wait in line for a sandwich in a heartbeat as soon as they got word that EoS is open. Plus, with the craze about EoS going around, you're going to have a lot of other people curious about EoS. Imagine walking through DTD one day and you see EoS and the line. You may think to yourself, 'Oh, I've heard about this place! My friend went to the one in Vegas and say their sandwiches are so good! I want to see what the hype is all about.' The influx of people that flocked to EoS these past few days is NOT normal. It's a mix of people who are crazy about EoS and people who are curious and want to try. I'm sure as time goes on, the crowd will normalize and the lines will be a bit more manageable.

Like I said before, 20-25 minute wait for EoS is pretty normal. If it were any other sandwich shop, I would agree with you. Trust me, that's how the lines are always like in the one in Vegas. Let's do some math. You said that it should take about 10-15 minutes tops to make a sandwich right? With that line and crowd, that's about another 10 minute of waiting to order. That's about 20-25 minutes total of waiting for a sandwich. The wait makes sense.

Just give it some time. Let time go by for a bit, and then judge it. They've literally just opened. Remember what soft openings are for. To gain experience and get the employees used to operating when they officially open today (and maybe to even thin the crowds a bit so there won't be thousands of people waiting in line when they officially open). Let's all not judge the brand new location too hastily.

EDIT:
    Aw, boo, mycroft16 and biggsworth beat me to it lol.

Also, thanks elsa and Acpisme for finding out about the AP discounts!
    Last edited by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe; 11-02-2012 at 10:27 AM.

I say give 'em a break! It's their first week.

I have been wishing and hoping for an Earl of Sandwich in Anaheim since I first tasted their magical sandwiches at Downtown Disney in Orlando about 5 years ago. It is a great place to get a quick meal for cheap. A quick, good place to eat at Downtown Disney in Anaheim is sorely needed.

If it's your first time at the Earl, I highly recommend getting the Full Montague. The tomato soup is also great.

I haven't been to the Anaheim location yet, but the one in Orlando also has a big open case of other items, like caesar salads, fruit salads, various refrigerated desserts, and yogurt parfaits. They also have brownies and cookies. I hope this is the case here in Anaheim as well.

Bottom line: Give it a try before you write it off based on the above reviews. I would definitely leave the parks to walk over to Earl of Sandwich for food any day.

• I am number 4 of 999

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    I love negative posts from people who have never had it.
    Yes, that did escalate quite quickly! It went from "Earl of Sandwich is open!" to "I hate this place, it's over-rated and expensive and going to go out of business." in about 3 seconds.
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• -

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    There is so much to learn and so many things they need to get used to.
    Put meat on bread and serve. There is not much else to learn. They are building sandwiches, not supersonic jets.

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    it should take about 10-15 minutes tops to make a sandwich right?
    Really, all it should take is 5 minutes tops to make a sandwich. All the ingredients are laid out in front of them. They just have to assemble it and serve.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Put meat on bread and serve. There is not much else to learn. They are building sandwiches, not supersonic jets.
    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Really, all it should take is 5 minutes tops to make a sandwich. All the ingredients are laid out in front of them. They just have to assemble it and serve.
    You have to think about it a little bigger. I don't have any fast food experience so I can't say for sure.

What about the employees on the cash register? There's a computer system they have to learn. I believe EoS has about 50 different things on their menu. That means there are a lot of buttons on the computer screen in front of them. It's hard to locate and get used to where's where when you just started a job. Each customer is going to order something different. It's going to be like a 'Where's Waldo?' game at first. Where is this sandwich? Where is that sandwich? Where's the button for the salad? Where's the button for the large soda? How do I open the cash register? How do I charge the credit card? On top of that, part-time employees will be rotating shifts so there's going to be another new employee trying to learn EoS computer system.

Yes, there's not a lot to learn to make a sandwich. But the sandwich makers need to 'break in' to their jobs first. They are not going to know the 30 sandwich items on top of their head within a couple of days of opening. At first they'll be unsure and hesitant and be a little slow while trying to figure out where their 20 different ingredients are. Toasting the bread also takes time too. AND on top of all that, one sandwich maker probably has like 3 other orders waiting before yours! So 3 sandwiches x (5 min/sandwich) = 15 minutes! 15 minutes before your sandwich will be ready. Remember, your sandwich is not made until it's ordered. They're not at peak efficiency just yet. Give it some time.

If you haven't read it yet, there's a great new 'In the Parks' article that has a section on EoS. Look at the line in that first pic! I can believe that's a 25 minute wait! Look at their menu! There's like 50 things on their menu! Their sandwich took little less than 10 minutes to make with all those people in front of them. On paper, the wait sounds absurd. It'll only make sense once you're out there and you experience the wait for yourself. You'll be surprised how long you actually wait for food when you order it at a fast food restaurant. It may not feel long when you're there, but on paper you'll be pretty shocked. And the final verdict on the sandwich?

'The meatball sandwich we ordered was actually very good. The bread was warm, toasted to perfection. The tomato sauce was tangy and savory with tart, chewy mozzarella cheese covering the hearty meatballs. It really was wonderful.'
    - Norman Gidney

Seriously, go try EoS. You just might change your mind. They might not be the BEST sandwiches in the whole world. But it's still pretty darn good.

• Knight that says Nee!!

I have many friends who had EoS in Vegas said it was very good so I will try this, but only if the wait is down. As far as food goes, I will wait more than 30-40 minutes for a good to gourmet level sit down meal. For any kind of simpler food, especially a sandwich, no matter how good it is supposed to be, I wont wait more than 20 minutes.

And I have to agree with Wiggins and Calsig31 regarding the picture...it does not look appetizing and definitely not worth $7 based on that posted picture of the "unsculpted" one. The sandwiches better be larger and better looking than that pic makes it look for them to charge that much for a sandwich.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    It just opened. It's like complaining that you're waiting 2 hours to get a new Iphone on the day of it's release.
    LMBO. I wouldn't do that either. I'd skip the sandwich and the phone.
    I guess I'm just not one of those ppl who wants to be first (Veruca Salt Syndrome).

Anyway, so this Iphone stuff, does it last all day on the day it is released? Does it get a preview day (akin to EOS soft open)? Do these lines keep happening day after day the first week? I am genuinly curious and trying to make sense of the demand you are comparing them to.

---------- Post added 11-04-2012 at 03:16 AM ----------

Thank you. Now I don't have to say it. (And you said it much better than I would have).
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    I have many friends who had EoS in Vegas said it was very good so I will try this, but only if the wait is down. As far as food goes, I will wait more than 30-40 minutes for a good to gourmet level sit down meal. For any kind of simpler food, especially a sandwich, no matter how good it is supposed to be, I wont wait more than 20 minutes.

And I have to agree with Wiggins and Calsig31 regarding the picture...it does not look appetizing and definitely not worth $7 based on that posted picture of the "unsculpted" one. The sandwiches better be larger and better looking than that pic makes it look for them to charge that much for a sandwich.
    I'm glad you're at least considering in trying EoS once before making your own personal judgement. I do agree that picture doesn't make that sandwich look all that appetizing. EoS however does have a variety of other options to choose from. I've enjoyed the Full Montagu and I've heard the meatball sandwich is good. Maybe try one of those instead of the BLT. The sandwich is about 6" I believe. It's not very big but I do think it's just the right portion for most people. You say $7 is expensive for a sandwich, but the DLR is not much better. Nowadays, it's like $10 for a hamburger! EoS pricing is a little bit more on the fair side, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    LMBO. I wouldn't do that either. I'd skip the sandwich and the phone.
    I guess I'm just not one of those ppl who wants to be first (Veruca Salt Syndrome).

Anyway, so this Iphone stuff, does it last all day on the day it is released? Does it get a preview day (akin to EOS soft open)? Do these lines keep happening day after day the first week? I am genuinly curious and trying to make sense of the demand you are comparing them to.

---------- Post added 11-04-2012 at 03:16 AM ----------

Thank you. Now I don't have to say it. (And you said it much better than I would have).
    I think most people have already made up their minds about EoS. We are all adults and we can make our own decisions. If there are people who do not want to give EoS a shot, that's perfectly fine. It'll mean the lines will be a little bit shorter, which is perfectly fine too

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    The Vegas strip Earl has a wait in line that can be 10-20 minutes just because people are stupid and wait till they are at the register to even look at the menu. . . When a Taco Bell opened near my house as a teenager, everyone went that first night. There were easily a thousand people there. Newly opened places do indeed draw larger crowds than typical demand... so this is indeed a factor. The wait for food at the Taco Bell opening night was about an hour. When this didn't change after a week, they actually fired just about everyone and borrowed an employee from 2 or 3 nearby Taco Bells to train the new hires better.

Hopefully within another couple days they get this sorted out and people get into their grooves.
    Thanks for that post, Mycroft.

I think just about everyone on this thread is eager to try an Anaheim Earl, but some of us hate lines. My own "unrealistic" expectations have been created in part by the amazingly fast lines at the Taco Bell at the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana. It seems like there are always over 25 people ahead of us in line there, and I'm always ordering within five minutes, and eating within five minutes after that. In contrast, yesterday there were a dozen people ahead of us to buy Dole products (only 5 on the menu, I think), yet we missed two entire Tiki shows while waiting forever to get to the front of this line. I know I'm digressing, but this Dole stand needs one or two more employees to join the two who service both long lines. If they need more room then make more room.

I'd rather be a New Yorker grumbling about having to wait five minutes at a crowded Starbucks, than a chilled out Southern Californian happily waiting 12 minutes. Folks, most of us will be dead in less than 50 years. Give me my excellent sandwich and get a move on! (I'm actually pretty polite in person when I'm less anonymous.)

--Tom Sinsky /
    Last edited by jcruise86; 11-04-2012 at 03:06 PM.

• My Children's Father

if you were a New Yorker you'd have a lot more to complain about right now. A lot of them would probably be grateful to stand in line only 25 minutes for a sandwich.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast