Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• former CM

Re: OK, Earl of Sandwich is now OPEN....

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    if you were a New Yorker you'd have a lot more to complain about right now. A lot of them would probably be grateful to stand in line only 25 minutes for a sandwich.
    Good point!

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    if you were a New Yorker you'd have a lot more to complain about right now. A lot of them would probably be grateful to stand in line only 25 minutes for a sandwich.
    Wait a minute. By this logic then we should shut down the site and stop discussing anything. I have family on the east coast who are still having a rough go with the aftermath of Sandy...what does that have to do with us discussing an aspect of the DLR? You know...the whole purpose this web site forum exists? If we held off on discussions (or complaints as you put it) every time some part of the world is dealing with a natural disaster then we would never have any discussions at all.

If I went into a disaster zone I would certainly expect services to be slow if they existed at all and yes I would be thankful for a sandwich after even a long wait...but what does that have to do with expectations in a vacation resort when you go there as a customer? Nothing, that's what.

I do hope that EOS lives up to the hype that is is receiving. I never thought I would wait 20+ min. for a sandwich but I also thought that I would never wait 2.5 hours for RSR and it was well worth it. Nice to have another option that still seems more reasonable than some of the less than appetizing food you can get in the parks. So, I will then in a little over a month make my own trek to EOS and make my own decision.

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    Wait a minute. By this logic then we should shut down the site and stop discussing anything. I have family on the east coast who are still having a rough go with the aftermath of Sandy...what does that have to do with us discussing an aspect of the DLR? You know...the whole purpose this web site forum exists? If we held off on discussions (or complaints as you put it) every time some part of the world is dealing with a natural disaster then we would never have any discussions at all.

If I went into a disaster zone I would certainly expect services to be slow if they existed at all and yes I would be thankful for a sandwich after even a long wait...but what does that have to do with expectations in a vacation resort when you go there as a customer? Nothing, that's what.
    My comment was in response to jcruise86's post saying they'd "rather be a New Yorker ...", I did not mean to imply that we should cease commenting on our "first world" issues. But we should reflect knowledge of what's going on around us, if for no other reason to make sure our analogies are understood. IMHO
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

People in New York have it good compared to people in other places in this world where they have to put up with the same types of conditions or worse every day of their lives.

•   
    • Minion

hmmmm not sure where this thread is heading but perhaps we could get updates on the lines at EOS. I can't wait to try it I haven't had one in a while :/

• -

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    What about the employees on the cash register? There's a computer system they have to learn.
    Cash registers are not a complicated thing to learn. I worked at the busiest food venue on campus during college in the mid to late nineties, both as an employee and later as a supervisor. It only took a few minutes to learn the finer points of a cash register, and I am sure that it is even easier now with the more user-friendly touch screens.

Yes, there's not a lot to learn to make a sandwich. But the sandwich makers need to 'break in' to their jobs first. They are not going to know the 30 sandwich items on top of their head within a couple of days of opening.
    I’m sure they have a cheat sheet to look at as well. It shouldn’t take any time to look at their sheet to see what is on a sandwich and assemble it. I don't think looking at a cheat sheet to make a sandwch is as complicated as interpreting the blue prints for a new high-rise.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Cash registers are not a complicated thing to learn. I worked at the busiest food venue on campus during college in the mid to late nineties, both as an employee and later as a supervisor. It only took a few minutes to learn the finer points of a cash register, and I am sure that it is even easier now with the more user-friendly touch screens.

I’m sure they have a cheat sheet to look at as well. It shouldn’t take any time to look at their sheet to see what is on a sandwich and assemble it. I don't think looking at a cheat sheet to make a sandwch is as complicated as interpreting the blue prints for a new high-rise.
    There is a learning curve to everything. I'm sure a sandwhich artist can place a sandwhich order just as fast as an civil engineer can interpret blue prints of high rises. Neither did it quickly when they were learning.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    There is a learning curve to everything. I'm sure a sandwhich artist can place a sandwhich order just as fast as an civil engineer can interpret blue prints of high rises. Neither did it quickly when they were learning.
    I don't think I would refer to someone slopping sandwiches together on an assembly line as an artist.

Also, while there is a learning curve, it is not a very large one. All it takes is looking at the component list, and slapping them together. The reference to someone interpreting blueprints was to show that the sandwich making is not as complicated as it is being made out to be. While there is a component list, it is not as extensive as that which would go into a high rise building. Even with inexperienced personnel, it should take no more than 5 minutes per sandwich.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I don't think I would refer to someone slopping sandwiches together on an assembly line as an artist.

Also, while there is a learning curve, it is not a very large one. All it takes is looking at the component list, and slapping them together. The reference to someone interpreting blueprints was to show that the sandwich making is not as complicated as it is being made out to be. While there is a component list, it is not as extensive as that which would go into a high rise building. Even with inexperienced personnel, it should take no more than 5 minutes per sandwich.

Sandwich making may not be that crazy to you but I can assure you when you open up a new location with a high demand it's not as easy as you might think. You also have to consider not everyone learns things as fast as you might. New computer systems aren't always easy to pick up either. If you haven't seen a food ordering piece of software you should take a look they can be quite extensive. EOS has a lot of options to it I am sure the database for the product catalogs are on multiple pages and it would take new employees some time to remember them which is why they have soft openings. In my business it takes people 3-4 weeks to really get these simple sounding tasks down to the second nature level, but i don't consider the new hires to be incompetent at their jobs. Sure some of them don't make it as well and have to be let go.

• Former Cast Member

My wife and I ate there yesterday to experience it at least once and I have to say we will only experience it that one time. So much hoopla for this place. There is absolutely nothing special about it. I have had much better sandwiches from Subway, Arby's and Quiznos that were much better and bigger in size and better priced too. So it was $25 for 2 sandwiches, 2 drinks and a small container of potatoe salad. Man I could have had a better meal at Red Robbins. I guess everyone needs to at least experience it. But, we won't be back.

I ate there on Friday. While I honestly wouldn't wait over 30 minutes again, I did enjoy the food and will eat there if the lines go down.

• Minion

Can't wait to try it. hopefully lines are shorter when I go, my expectations are not high so hopefully it taste good.

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by PLAZAINN1 View Post
    My wife and I ate there yesterday to experience it at least once and I have to say we will only experience it that one time. So much hoopla for this place. There is absolutely nothing special about it. I have had much better sandwiches from Subway, Arby's and Quiznos that were much better and bigger in size and better priced too. So it was $25 for 2 sandwiches, 2 drinks and a small container of potatoe salad. Man I could have had a better meal at Red Robbins. I guess everyone needs to at least experience it. But, we won't be back.
    Oh HECK no. $25 for that? If the sandwich was like the one shown at the start of this thread I would have stared blankly at the kid behind the register, shook my head, and walked away if he was asking for that amount of money for two sandwiches of that size, some potato salad, and drinks. This appears to be one of those cases where they slap a fancy name on things or use the word "gourmet" a few times and think it entitles them to raise their prices due to that. Resort or not, that is way too much for a sandwich place to be charging for that amount of product IMO.

• some assembly required

I think most people have already made up their minds about EoS. We are all adults and we can make our own decisions. If there are people who do not want to give EoS a shot, that's perfectly fine. It'll mean the lines will be a little bit shorter, which is perfectly fine too
    I wasn't trying in the least to sway anyone one way or the other. Tho I do think the Iphone analogy is pretty odd. I could care less what others find trendy to eat. I was asking why the insane wait? I have since been given the answer.

I would totallly eat there, provided the lines were shorter. I wouldn't mind coughing up an extra five bucks pp for a different restau.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast