Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• -

Re: Disney - Lucasfilm - Implications for a 3rd Gate?

Quote Originally Posted by Spence View Post
    I am the only one who wants the park to stay EXACTLY as it is right now? In my eyes (Tomorrowland needs some TLC but NO MARVEL) the parks are good as they are now.
    I don't think many are jumping on that bandwagon. I think most people would like to see improvements made and not have things stay as they are today.

This means updating Tomorrowland to have thematically appropriate rides, removing the out-of-theme elements on Main Street, taking the pirate theme off the island, and removing the obnoxious "where's Waldo" Depp presence on Pirates.

I don't think many want all those things to stay just as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Spence View Post
    So I'm very against any third gate in Anaheim.
    Why would you be against it? You don't have to go if Disney opens one. Why would you not want those who would enjoy a third gate to have one?
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• My Children's Father

I think a hero park would be a smart move. But I don't see them "moving" existing rides (STII, IJA) to the new park, unless they both need room at the old park for something new and are short on ideas at the third gate. It would be much easier (and cheaper) to concentrate on the new park.

Speaking of which, the reason I think a hero park would work is that there is plenty of inspiration from real life, not just Marvel, LucasFilm, Pixar, etc. Imagine a Backdraft-like ride that salutes firefighters, or an Audie Murphy/Sgt. York/Band of Brothers ride(s), or a Sully Sullenberger simulator ride, SEAL team training demonstrations, etc. No need to worry about movie rights if you're using historical figures.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Minion

I'm definitely up for one more gate (I think three is just enough). Honestly though, I'd rather just have either an entire Star Wars park, or an entire Marvel park. A combination of the two just seems odd to me.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    However, in all honesty...I'd much rather see Disney work on polishing up everything that needs to be polished at both DLR and DCA before they start messing with a third gate, particularly one dealing with characters that are NOT primarily seen as Disney characters, regardless of their ownership.
    You want them to finish the parks before they start with their next park. That's not the way the parks work. They will never be finished.

Besides, if they are to do that, they won't have the money to start their next park. Money is allocated to the projects that need to be done. A little here and a little there.

I don't even know what exactly you want polishing. This is subjective. By the time you come out with a TO DO LIST, the list will only expand. They will never get to the third park. There will be no money left.

The Hero park sounds limiting. It sounds too male and genre oriented. Disney parks are never about one idea or another. It works best when ambigious and unfocused. Well, maybe too unfocused of late.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    You want them to finish the parks before they start with their next park. That's not the way the parks work. They will never be finished.

Besides, if they are to do that, they won't have the money to start their next park. Money is allocated to the projects that need to be done. A little here and a little there.

I don't even know what exactly you want polishing. This is subjective. By the time you come out with a TO DO LIST, the list will only expand. They will never get to the third park. There will be no money left.

The Hero park sounds limiting. It sounds too male and genre oriented. Disney parks are never about one idea or another. It works best when ambigious and unfocused. Well, maybe too unfocused of late.
    I think that a 3rd gate will have multiple themed lands based on Disney owned properties/movies.......a high bred DHS/IOA so-to-speak. Although I don't think that attractions will be removed from DL or DCA and moved to the 3rd park.......it does give Disney the flexibility to do so and open up valuable real estate to add new attractions in their existing parks.

•   
    • Minion

Please show me where I used the word "finish" -- I said "polish." Improve. We've talked a lot on this board about improvements we could see to the existing attractions at DLR and DCA. For instance: adequately refurbishing all the rides that need TLC. They're on that track now with the Indy and BTMRR refurbs. Finishing the work on the Fantasy Faire and the Fantasyland Theater, and putting a new show in the latter. Doing something constructive with the Magic Eye Theater and Innoventions space over at Tomorrowland. We could go on.

It's very true that the parks are always going to be organic entities, but IMHO it's foolhardy to start with a grand new project while you have rides that are always going 101, have peeling paint, etc. at DLR.

As to the hero park being "male and genre oriented," that too is subjective, and perhaps a bit sexist to say. There are tons of female comics and superhero fans that would embrace a Marvel or Star Wars park. There are plenty of guys who hate all that stuff.

---------- Post added 10-31-2012 at 10:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    I am not against a third gate, however I would wish that we could get something more similar to a WestCot or DisneySea..
    Any chance we can lure the Oriental Trading Company to Anaheim and ask them to build us a DisneySea?? I'd love to see that for a third gate.

I bet that Walt didn't worry about appealing to boys.....or girls. I bet that he only worried about telling a great story and entertaining guests.......too bad everything Disney does now is based on market research rather than gut feelings and common sense.

*sigh*

• Banned User

Please show me where I used the word "finish" -- I said "polish." Improve. We've talked a lot on this board about improvements we could see to the existing attractions at DLR and DCA. For instance: adequately refurbishing all the rides that need TLC. They're on that track now with the Indy and BTMRR refurbs. Finishing the work on the Fantasy Faire and the Fantasyland Theater, and putting a new show in the latter. Doing something constructive with the Magic Eye Theater and Innoventions space over at Tomorrowland. We could go on.
    The word polish is almost like saying finish, and oops, you did it right there.

Nothing wrong with starting a new park, which like DCA, an unfinished second park, which will be fixed, slightly polished, and never finished. These happen all the time.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Would think people would be happy that a 3rd park would keep that "Marvel and Star Wars out of their Disney"

Guess some just cant see the positive in anything =/
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

•   
    • Minion

The word polish is almost like saying finish, and oops, you did it right there.

Nothing wrong with starting a new park, which like DCA, an unfinished second park, which will be fixed, slightly polished, and never finished. These happen all the time.
    Nope, try again. I'm not sure what the hostility is about, why you're arguing semantics, or why you seem to have singled me out specifically in this thread, but none of that mitigates the point I made. Plus, finishing work on an attraction that is currently under construction /= finishing the entire park. Context helps, si?

And maybe you should ask the Disney corporate office how well it worked for them, financially, to have that unrefined, "slightly polished" DCA park running for ten years. It's better to get your existing projects in order before you start working on something new. If your park is bleeding money because it's such a mess, as DCA was for a long time, you're not going to have the capital to do something new anyway.

polish (v)

: to smooth, soften, or refine in manners or condition

: to bring to a highly developed, finished, or refined state

finish (v)

a : to come to an end : terminate
    Last edited by Malina; 10-31-2012 at 10:53 AM.

• My Children's Father

Limiting? I think your definition of "heroism" may be limited. And while I will admit that comic-centric women may tend to be more "boy" oriented, there are plenty of role-model worthy women in history that could be used in such a theme park.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

In the old abandoned old abandoned amusement park.

I wish we could all get along and be happy with Disneyland the way it is like we used to...I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy.
    Last edited by Dillamond; 10-31-2012 at 02:40 PM.

• Banned User

Nope, try again. I'm not sure what the hostility is about, why you're arguing semantics, or why you seem to have singled me out specifically in this thread, but none of that mitigates the point I made. Plus, finishing work on an attraction that is currently under construction /= finishing the entire park. Context helps, si?

And maybe you should ask the Disney corporate office how well it worked for them, financially, to have that unrefined, "slightly polished" DCA park running for ten years. It's better to get your existing projects in order before you start working on something new. If your park is bleeding money because it's such a mess, as DCA was for a long time, you're not going to have the capital to do something new anyway.

polish (v)

: to smooth, soften, or refine in manners or condition

: to bring to a highly developed, finished, or refined state

finish (v)

a : to come to an end : terminate
    Look, you did the semantic games. My error. By saying polish, you meant it to be never ending.

You said "I'd much rather see Disney work on polishing up everything that needs to be polished at both DLR and DCA before they start messing with a third gate."

To polish up the parks is completely open ended.

Doing something constructive with the Magic Eye Theater and Innoventions space over at Tomorrowland. We could go on.
    That's the key word. We can go on and on and on. The list is never finished. The 3rd park will never arrive.

---------- Post added 10-31-2012 at 12:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    Limiting? I think your definition of "heroism" may be limited. And while I will admit that comic-centric women may tend to be more "boy" oriented, there are plenty of role-model worthy women in history that could be used in such a theme park.
    Wonderful. A feminist park.

• Quality not quantity

Who would be the target audience for this third gate?

If you are going for the teen/Young Adult market then a thrill ride packed park with attractions based on Lucasfilm and/or Marvel would be perfect.

If you are expanding the family friendly world of Disney then I don't see those two as a good fit. A focus on Pixar and Disney characters with perhaps one or two Marvel/Lucasfilm ideas tossed in would do fine.

If you are planning an adult/senior orientation (more like Epcot) then I'd expect another mashup of ideas from Disney,Pixar,Marvel and Lucasfilm.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Really? People "keep asking for" world-class gems like Luigi's Beach Ball Toss, Finding Nemo Underwater Kiddie Kartoon Video, The Littler-Than-You-Thought Mermaid, Winnie the Pooped Out, Pirates of the Depp, and the Cars Test Track Redux with Big Rocks? No wonder Disney's raking in the big bucks.
    I didn't ask for Carsland...but I'm glad we got it...one of my favorite lands..and no I do not like the films but the land is amazing

As for a third gate...I really hope they can make a Star Wars land....OMG I've wanted a star wars coaster for years, and maybe even some huge ships and other vehicles around the land and a mini death star....it's like a geeks dream and this also will help keep the third gate from only being Marvel...which is a huge plus for me

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast