Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• My Children's Father

Re: Disney - Lucasfilm - Implications for a 3rd Gate?

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post

Wonderful. A feminist park.
    Not at all. I was just responding to your earlier criticism that a "hero" park would be too "male and genre oriented." There is a middle ground between misogynistic and feminist.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Minion

This won't happen because they already have rides/attractions that embodies several elements of Star Wars and Indiana Jones. That would just be repetitive.

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    This won't happen because they already have rides/attractions that embodies several elements of Star Wars and Indiana Jones. That would just be repetitive.
    The same could be said of the prequels and sequels.

And Disneyland has two Alice in Wonderland rides and two Dumbo rides. Are they repetitive? The existence of BLAB didn't stop them from building TSMM, and those rides are very similar.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    The same could be said of the prequels and sequels.

And Disneyland has two Alice in Wonderland rides and two Dumbo rides. Are they repetitive? The existence of BLAB didn't stop them from building TSMM, and those rides are very similar.
    Yep. And with Star Wars in particular they have so many different planets, environments, etc. within the films that it could work. With one "land" of the park as Bespin, another as Tattooine, a third as Endor, a fourth as the Death Star - they could create a ton of attractions that would neither overlap nor seem redundant.

• Minion

But Star Tours visits the majority of major planets present in the series? Would you pay an extra $80 to ride a ride through Hoth when you can do that at DL already? OK, I'll be honest I would but I'm a huge Star Wars nerd...I'm guessing the general Disney-visiting public wouldn't understand.

And really, what more can you add to Indiana Jones after the stellar ride already in Adventureland?

•   
    • Minion

But Star Tours visits the majority of major planets present in the series? Would you pay an extra $80 to ride a ride through Hoth when you can do that at DL already? OK, I'll be honest I would but I'm a huge Star Wars nerd...I'm guessing the general Disney-visiting public wouldn't understand.

And really, what more can you add to Indiana Jones after the stellar ride already in Adventureland?
    Indy's a lot more limited, yes...

As to Star Wars, you're 100% right. I could see Disney trying to milk the franchise for all its worth, though, and maybe using Star Tours as a teaser: "do you want to really see all the planets on the tour? Come to Third Gate!!

-----

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Look, you did the semantic games. My error. By saying polish, you meant it to be never ending.
    No, really, I didn't. You started this and decided to go on the offensive and infer things that weren't in my original post. You're apparently still doing this. Find someone else with whom to argue, kthx. I'm not interested.

---------- Post added 10-31-2012 at 02:34 PM ----------

• My Children's Father

I wouldn't want the entire park to be Star Wars themed ... maybe the biggest "land", but I wouldn't want to limit the themeing. But there are all sorts of heroes/heroines, both fictional and historical, from novels, movies, TV, and comic books. And cartoons ...

100% agree. I think there needs to be some restructuring before it is even considered.
    For the love of Disney....

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Really? People "keep asking for" world-class gems like Luigi's Beach Ball Toss, Finding Nemo Underwater Kiddie Kartoon Video, The Littler-Than-You-Thought Mermaid, Winnie the Pooped Out, Pirates of the Depp, and the Cars Test Track Redux with Big Rocks? No wonder Disney's raking in the big bucks.
    No, people "keep asking for" the opportunity to go inside movies. Which they've done. And Disney is raking in big bucks, so I guess they're doing something right in their formula.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    No, people "keep asking for" the opportunity to go inside movies. Which they've done. And Disney is raking in big bucks, so I guess they're doing something right in their formula.
    Oh, they've got the right formula for making huge profits, no doubt about it. Mass marketing, cloned products, hundreds of millions of repeat customers locked into the habit -- the McDonald's of theme parks.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• I'm from Canada eh!

I don't like the idea of a hero park; it just ends up splitting up families. I feel like any new gate should have elements for all members of the family, not just one demographic.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Oh, they've got the right formula for making huge profits, no doubt about it. Mass marketing, cloned products, hundreds of millions of repeat customers locked into the habit -- the McDonald's of theme parks.
    So anyone that likes Disney is just a preprogrammed drone or a junkie?

And since when is a business' main purpose not to make a profit?

Dont think Walt was desgining a charity when he made Disneyland

Pretty sure he was also marketing on his own Disney products
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    So anyone that likes Disney is just a preprogrammed drone or a junkie?
    Nope.

And since when is a business' main purpose not to make a profit?
    Since never. Businesses exist to grow and make profits.

Dont think Walt was desgining a charity when he made Disneyland
    Walt definitely didn't design Disneyland to be a charity.

Pretty sure he was also marketing on his own Disney products
    Walt was brilliant at marketing Disney products -- Disneyland especially.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Carsland is no clone? The new Fantasyland is doing it's best to change the land to be much different from our Disneyland.....

I think some people want Disney to take some HUGE risks with no rewards promised to them and that's hard to do without someone like Walt in charge....Disney ten years ago sucked...but now they have done some VERY good things in the past few years...like Princess and the Frog, Tangled, The Muppets and the upcoming Wreck it Ralph looks good too

Phines and freb, The avengers, Once upon a time on the TV

Lastly they brought back the castle walkthrough and Mr Lincoln and made them better then ever....and then there is Carsland, Buena Vista Street, and the New Fantasyland....which have the old flying saucers, many people wanted back....and Big E ticket rides like Racers or the Mine Carts

I just don't think they are doing as bad as people say they are

• Banned User

Tatooine.
    Several ppl have mentioned it in this thread and elsewhere. If I may interupt the arguing and add my Blue Sky Idea...

I would LOVE to see Tatooine (any part of the planet) represented in a new gate. They could make some very realistic sand dunes, looking as if they were truely blown by the winds, when really they are hard as a rock. The walkways could have radiant heating (solar) running thru them so as to change the temp ever so slightly on the coolest of winter days. A pod racing attraction redundant??? yes please yes please. In fact I'd love it if they took out ST2 and moved it to the third gate (as others have mentioned, opening up valuable realestate in DL). Oh, this is such good news in our household. In my extended family, every generation, both genders, love Star Wars. IMO it beats out Marvel in this aspect.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast