Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Disney - Lucasfilm - Implications for a 3rd Gate?

As much as I like Star Wars I just don't see it filling a .whole park. As with any movie or cult its only going to appeal to one particular demographic. The reason why Disneyland is successful is that it appeals across borders to several Think of it would you like Disneyland to only be Fantasyland with snow white land Alice land etc of course not its he broad mix of things which keeps the park fresh, fun & exciting

I'd be more than happy for some new Star War or Indy elements in a new park but You'd need to add other elements be it marvel, Pixar or something new to make something with enough appeal to be successful

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Oh, they've got the right formula for making huge profits, no doubt about it. Mass marketing, cloned products, hundreds of millions of repeat customers locked into the habit -- the McDonald's of theme parks.
    So then are you arguing that Disneyland has a habit of doing business well, but not appealing to nostalgia and other subjective characteristics? If so, then I'll gladly agree. Your aesthetic is not the same as mine, is not the same as his or hers or anyone else's.

If, however, you argue that Disneyland is like McDonald's in that they produce low quality items (i.e., rides, attractions) with infinitely many substitutes that would satisfy you just as well, if not better, as Burger King or Wendy's would to a hungry patron, then I would disagree with you there. Disney is still in the business of making magic, making happiness, etc. and they still have the edge on its competition. That is a part of the formula that is in no way analogous to McDonald's.

• Your Nemesis

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    I am not against a third gate, however I would wish that we could get something more similar to a WestCot or DisneySea..
    I agree 100%.

I think an entire park devoted to heroes(Marvel/LucasFilm) is something Universal would do, not Disney. To me Disney would be making a serious mistake if they based an entire park around a theme that would not incorporate any Disney characters. I'm also against an entire land based on either franchise, just think about Bug's Land and Cars Land. Yes, I know Cars Land has its fair share of good , but Disney parks shouldn't base a whole land around one movie or series when that space could be used to form a unique, original land. I'm all for adding these to Tomorrowland, the 3rd gate, and anywhere else they belong, but if we see a heroes/superhero 3rd gate, I will be greatly disappointed.
    Running is a mental sport and I am insane!

Quote Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
    I agree 100%.

I think an entire park devoted to heroes(Marvel/LucasFilm) is something Universal would do, not Disney. To me Disney would be making a serious mistake if they based an entire park around a theme that would not incorporate any Disney characters.
    Marvel/LucasFilm ARE Disney characters now.

To me Disney would be making a serious mistake if they based an entire park around a theme that would not incorporate any Disney characters.
    Sorcerer mickey, Hercules, Prince Philip, Prince Eric, Jack Sparrow, Merida, Wreck it Ralph, The incredibles, Tarzan, Simba, Robin Hood, and Mulan would all like a word with you.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

I agree 100%.

I think an entire park devoted to heroes(Marvel/LucasFilm) is something Universal would do, not Disney. To me Disney would be making a serious mistake if they based an entire park around a theme that would not incorporate any Disney characters. I'm also against an entire land based on either franchise, just think about Bug's Land and Cars Land. Yes, I know Cars Land has its fair share of good , but Disney parks shouldn't base a whole land around one movie or series when that space could be used to form a unique, original land. I'm all for adding these to Tomorrowland, the 3rd gate, and anywhere else they belong, but if we see a heroes/superhero 3rd gate, I will be greatly disappointed.
    So whole lands devoted to princesses is ok but something that might appeal to the male audience, or girls that dont like the princess thing is not?
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Non-Minion

I know I have said this before its worth repeating...

San Diego Comic Con BARELY got the ok for one more Year in their contract for the SD Convetion Center. Lets just say that SD loses this contract; it has been widely known that the Anaheim Convention Center would be the new home of the nations biggest Comic Convention. (they already kind of tested it out with hosting Wonder-Con there last year and had a lot of positive feed-back)

So you open a third gate deditcated to just Star Wars or Star Wars and Marvel or a "heroes" park and you've struck gold. I think its just a matter of time. To say that you are hitting only one demographic is to look at it from a very narrow perspective. Star Wars premiered in 1977 (with its first announcment ever coming from the very first SDCC in 1976) and has lasted well over 30 years. Boys and Girls today love Star Wars just as much as their grandparents did when they first watched it. Those costumes STILL fly off the shelf and there are is a HUGE female following for the Wars. The same can be said for Marvel who has been around since the late 30's.

Disney, Marvel, and Star Wars...I serisouly couldn't be more excited and happy for my daughter who gets to grow up in the midst of all this.

This thought just exploded my mind!

I am an absolutely horrible artist so I would love to see someone take this concept and run with it!

Walt's famous quote when is comes to Disneyland was "To ALL who come to his happy place...welcome." right? So my idea would be a shot of the Partners statue from behind so you are looking over Walt's shoulder and down mainstreet...In front of the statue would be all those properties that Disney has partnered with; Star Wars characters, Indy Characters, Marvel Characters, Pixar Characters, Disney Characters...EVERYONE! Somewhere on the image would be Walt's famous quote, not just welcoming us home but welcoming all the new extened Disney family home. After All isn't that what Uncle Walt wanted? for ALL to be welcome?
    Last edited by christianAdam; 11-01-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^well I also would love for them to try to make a westcot...mixed with Star Wars in the tech area and Marvel hero's in the World Showcase....

To me this is the best way to please most fan....since
    1) we get westcot finally
    2) a chance for some original rides still
    3) A Star Wars land..finally
    4) Making sure the third gate is not JUST Marvel, which for me would be waster a third gate to focus on just Super hero;s.....i want a mix of different ideas

Cool Re: Disney - Lucasfilm - Implications for a 3rd Gate?

While I haven't looked into the details of Disney's rationale for acquiring LucasFilm, I would speculate that it has more to do with LF's accomplishments in advanced film technologies (e.g. ILM, etc.) than just wanting to play with the Star Wars series of movies.

One might argue that LF made only two movies - Star Wars (1977) & Raiders (1981) - which it then just cloned & cloned and milked & milked until they were squeezed dry. Yes, Disney could Xerox a few more SW-copies and make money from them, just as Eon can keep churning out 007 flicks long after they ceased any relevance to Ian Fleming's novels, but my take on Disney today is that it is more into new ideas, fresh characters, and creative adventures than it is infected with the sequel/prequel virus. [At least so I hope.]

I was a little surprised to see Disney include a couple of non-Disney rides (IJA & ST) in Disneyland, though particularly in the case of the former I think they did a beautiful job of blending them in. Now that LF has been gobbled by Disney, they "officially" fit too.

But I don't think there's enough LF material to fill up an entire third park, even if there were a place to build it it. [Seems to me the around-DL real estate is pretty well jammed right now.] If you added Marvel to it, you'd dilute both genres, and probably just wind up with a collection of comic-book rides: sort of a "ToonTown for Teens".

The only advantage I see in doing something like that is that it would keep all that heresy out of Disneyland, just as DCA has done for its non-Disney contents (Twilight Zone TOT, Pixar Bugs, Walt-disliked boardwalkisms). Disneyland 2012+ is never going to be Disneyland 1955 again, but additional-gate drain-offs will help preserve the nostalgia.

______
    Rachane

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by mainejeff View Post
    Marvel/LucasFilm ARE Disney characters now.
    True, but I think they meant "traditional" Disney characters.

• My Children's Father

I agree 100%.

What's wrong with heroes? You think heroes have stories? Some of them have not been told yet, so those that clamor for something that isn't movie-based can have their wish granted. Or those that prefer that an attraction/restaurant/entertainment is Disney movie based, or Marvel or Pixar or Lucas Film based, can get some satisfaction as well.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Your Nemesis

Yeah, I knew someone would say that. But Disney didn't create those characters or work with the people who did. And before anyone mentions Toy Story 1&2, Bug's Life, Monster's Inc., Finding Nemo, or the Incredibles, every one of those films is titled " Walt Disney Pictures presents" or something of that nature.

Short answer: No.
    Longer Answer: There is no princess land. The closest thing would be Fantasyland, and it's full of non-princess material: Matterhorn, Casey Jr., Storybook, Small World, Peer Pan, Pinocchio, Mr. Toad, Dumbo, King Arthur Carousel, Mad Tea Party, not to mention Village Haus, Edelweiss, and Troubador Tavern.

I have nothing against heroes and of course they always have the potential for more stories, I just don't want to see an entire land based around a single, limiting theme. I'm all for new attractions/restaurants/entertainment themed to heroes, but spread them throughout the resort.

The first response was to mainejeff, the second to wren, the third to Giant Panda. I meant to include their original posts.
    Running is a mental sport and I am insane!

• keh!

It seems like any slight move Disney makes, people will right away bring up "OMG 3RD GATE COMING SOONER THAN WE THOUGHT?!?!"

Disneyland buys Cheesecake Factory. "OMG!! COULD A 3RD PARK BE IN THE WORKS AND INCORPORATE CHEESECAKE FACTORY LAND?!?"

In this case it seems likely because this is an easy puzzle for Disney to put assemble. Pixar, Marvel, Lucas. Conceptually, it's not a challenge, like Cars Land. All they really have to do is be familiar with the movie and organize a land accordingly to how it's portrayed in the film.

Cars Land, okay, so in the movie, the court house is at the end, Cadillac ridge behind it, Luigi's is on a corner. Let's replicate that. See? Not hard. The toughest part is probably facility planning and such. The basics of the tech has already been done, yet they have trouble with that.

I long for a Disney that dares to do something new and original. Sadly, the Disney of today will likely not budge.

• Nutty about Disney parks

I have nothing against heroes and of course they always have the potential for more stories, I just don't want to see an entire land based around a single, limiting theme. I'm all for new attractions/restaurants/entertainment themed to heroes, but spread them throughout the resort.
    THIS. As I was just talking about in another thread, I would want to have a park with more than just two franchises representing it. Plus we can only hope that Disney learned its lesson from limited themes for parks (Studios parks, California). Hopefully the third gate is one that is broad enough to allow endless doable ideas yet tied to together in a common theme.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    THIS. As I was just talking about in another thread, I would want to have a park with more than just two franchises representing it. Plus we can only hope that Disney learned its lesson from limited themes for parks (Studios parks, California). Hopefully the third gate is one that is broad enough to allow endless doable ideas yet tied to together in a common theme.

Then what would be a non-limiting theme for a park that is significantly different from Disneyland and California Adventure? California theme, yeah ill give you that is a bit limiting but the current state of the park shows that the imagineers are adapting to it quite well. I just don't see the huge limitations of a Hero park. And the cool thing about a hero park is that it can incorporate aspects of adventure and exploration because those often go hand in hand with heroes.

And if parks had to stick strictly to their themes, every DL ride would have to have disney characters in it and every disney sea ride would have to be sea related. It seems like the only restrictions themes posses are ones we're creating.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast