Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Disney - Lucasfilm - Implications for a 3rd Gate?

With the purchase of Lucasfilm by Disney, what are the implications for the long-rumored 3rd Gate?

The "Gardenwalk" thread has been resurrected......... It is prime real estate linking the Toy Story lot to Pumba......... which I have always thought was an invaluable link between the eventual mega-parking structure at Pumba and the eventual 3rd Gate.

But now Disney has purchased Pixar (which is currently adequately represented in DL and DCA), then Marvel (which has yet to see a significant presence in the DLR) and now Lucasfilm (w/ two E-tickets in DL)......

What do you think are the implications of these acquisitions on the future of a 3rd gate? Disney has acquired a mass of IP and they don't intend to sit on it forever....... Could you see the removal of STII and relocation to a 3rd Gate at Toy Story lot?

Would a 3rd Gate be strictly Star Wars? Star Wars/Marvel? Is the purchase of Gardenwalk from the new owners now in play? Gardenwalk sold for something in the area of $200M (although no figures were released) but they spent $4B EACH for Marvel and Lucasfilm.......

What do you think are the implications of Disney's recent spending spree on an eventual 3rd Gate?

• Nic

Re: Disney - Lucasfilm - Implications for a 3rd Gate?

It'd be nice for Indiana Jones to relocate to an eventual third Marvel/Lucas gate, freeing up real-estate in Adventureland; I know that could never happen though.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

A hero theme park! Dedicated to adventure, bravery, strength, and the importance of standing up againstevil.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    A hero theme park! Dedicated to adventure, bravery, strength, and the importance of standing up againstevil.
    We are on the same wavelength. Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Marvel...all of these properties could really blend well together in the same way Islands of Adventure does (but I suppose that could be up for debate).

I would think that there have to be discussions of DSA (Disney Studios Anaheim) now. I can totally see Disney going in this direction as an action packed theme park based in some of the most popular movies in history would seem like a pretty good concept for a SoCal theme park.

• Banned User

If they can buy Lucasfilm for 4B, They can buy some acreage if they don't already have enough... To fill with adventure... But since we are seeing Iron Man enter the DLR...maybe it will be rejuvinating Tomorrowland...

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Marvel...all of these properties could really blend well together in the same way Islands of Adventure does (but I suppose that could be up for debate).
    Yep. And considering that Disney Corp is making a career out of copying Universal's "Ride the Movies" with Eisner's "Turning Movies into Rides," a Disney 3rd gate that copycats IoA will be no surprise.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Yep. And considering that Disney Corp is making a career out of copying Universal's "Ride the Movies" with Eisner's "Turning Movies into Rides," a Disney 3rd gate that copycats IoA will be no surprise.
    No, I think Disney Corp is making a career out of "Make Rides that People Keep Asking For." Maybe I've been riding things at Universal incorrectly, but their biggest/most popular rides are unique stories that do not linearly follow the plot outlined by the movie.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    No, I think Disney Corp is making a career out of "Make Rides that People Keep Asking For." Maybe I've been riding things at Universal incorrectly, but their biggest/most popular rides are unique stories that do not linearly follow the plot outlined by the movie.
    Really? People "keep asking for" world-class gems like Luigi's Beach Ball Toss, Finding Nemo Underwater Kiddie Kartoon Video, The Littler-Than-You-Thought Mermaid, Winnie the Pooped Out, Pirates of the Depp, and the Cars Test Track Redux with Big Rocks? No wonder Disney's raking in the big bucks.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Minion

I think they've done a good job incorporating Indy and Star Wars into DLR as they have -- the Jedi Academy is a huge draw in Tomorrowland, Star Tours is cool, and it really doesn't encroach, IMHO. Ditto with Indy in Adventureland: it's one ride, it's a VERY well themed ride, and it fits. If the entire area were dedicated to Indy or Star Wars, I'd have a problem.

I could see a heroes/superhero themed park as something that would be on Disney's radar. As to how well it would work, I don't know. If they came up with something as immersive and well detailed as the Harry Potter world at Universal -- say, a recreation of Bespin or Mos Eisley -- it could draw people in.

However, in all honesty...I'd much rather see Disney work on polishing up everything that needs to be polished at both DLR and DCA before they start messing with a third gate, particularly one dealing with characters that are NOT primarily seen as Disney characters, regardless of their ownership.

• film975

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I think they've done a good job incorporating Indy and Star Wars into DLR as they have -- the Jedi Academy is a huge draw in Tomorrowland, Star Tours is cool, and it really doesn't encroach, IMHO. Ditto with Indy in Adventureland: it's one ride, it's a VERY well themed ride, and it fits. If the entire area were dedicated to Indy or Star Wars, I'd have a problem.

I could see a heroes/superhero themed park as something that would be on Disney's radar. As to how well it would work, I don't know. If they came up with something as immersive and well detailed as the Harry Potter world at Universal -- say, a recreation of Bespin or Mos Eisley -- it could draw people in.

However, in all honesty...I'd much rather see Disney work on polishing up everything that needs to be polished at both DLR and DCA before they start messing with a third gate, particularly one dealing with characters that are NOT primarily seen as Disney characters, regardless of their ownership.
    I couldn't agree with you more. I don't want to see DLR turn into another Disney World. I think a Star Wars land would be more appropriate for DHS.

• Dead men tell no tales.

I am the only one who wants the park to stay EXACTLY as it is right now? In my eyes (Tomorrowland needs some TLC but NO MARVEL) the parks are good as they are now.

So I'm very against any third gate in Anaheim.

• Banned User

I dont think you are going to see a 3rd gate in Anaheim. The non acquisition of Gardenwalk at such a cheap asking price says alot about disney not having any further plans for DLR expansion. Additionally, there were rumors that a Marvel park was in Blue Sky stage for the DLR, but with the probability, from all of the rumors, of a Marvel attraction being added to Tomorrowland, clearly the Marvel park is being designed for overseas. They wouldnt be adding a huge e-ticket Marvel attraction for DL while planning a Marvel park 2 blocks away, or even a heros type of park with a heavy marvel influence. I just dont see anything at all out there that suggests Disney has ANY further plans for DLR expansion, other than additions from time to time to the 2 existing parks. With that being the case, Im not sure what they can do to blunt the impact of what looks to be a MAJOR Universal Hollywood expansion with Potter, expanded park space and new Hotels. That realy will change the Southern california theme park dynamics. One Marvel ride wont even come close to matching the hype that will recieve all over the western half of the U.S.
    Last edited by planodisney; 10-31-2012 at 07:43 AM.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Of course Wiggins, it could be nothing else besides that.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Parking Lot > DCA

I am not against a third gate, however I would wish that we could get something more similar to a WestCot or DisneySea..

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast