Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disney Down Under

Australia - 7458 Miles Away From Disneyland :(

Does the internet ruin the magic of Disneyland?

This is a topic I covered in a podcast I did for a Digital Culture class at University and was wondering what you guys thought on the topic. Is part of the magic ruined by the fact that you can experience all the rides and attractions before you go? Has the internet been a help or a hindrance to Disneyland?

Also if you guys could watch the Podcast and give me any feedback I would be highly grateful

-Luke

• a damsel not in distress

Re: Does the internet ruin the magic of Disneyland?

for me, the magic is not at all ruined. for one, i would say that nobody feels like the internet experience videos are any substitute for the actual rides/attractions in real life. i would say most of us use them when we're missing the magic of the park and it just holds us over until our next trips; they act as magic stimulators for lack of a better term.

second, i think it enhances the magic for experiences. you mention in your podcast that there are angles and situations that we never get to experience from being at ground level. seeing new angles is exciting for me! also, comments and sharing from other users allow me to get ideas for things i never knew i could do.

third, i think having the attraction available on the internet spreads the magic. there are some people who aren't able to go to the parks themselves and by having these experiences they get to share in the fun, if not fully.

fourth, and briana mentioned this, the element of intrigue the videos produce for people who haven't seen certain attraction brings in the mystery factor, which is a magic element in itself. i do like the point you made about point of view being limited, but i think that just encourages people to come visit if they really have the desire.

so, in short, nope, the magic is there and better because of the internet (at least for me).

as for your podcast: it's so fun! i love the nostalgic minute. (which, by the way, i never got to experience country bear jamboree, so here, again, the internet helps with the magic!) you two are very entertaining and there's so much great content (quotes, countdowns, the versus concept). very nice job. plus, i love me some accents!

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• Minion

simple answer for me ...nope!!!!!

• Disney Down Under

Australia - 7458 Miles Away From Disneyland :(

Thank's for the thoughts guys, it's deffinetly and interesting topic to ponder though I do tend to agree with you two.

Also thanks Brittney glad you enjoyed it!
    -Luke

•   
    • Minion

For me, no. If anything, it's enhanced my experience, because I've been able to learn about a lot of things I wouldn't have known about on my own. For instance I never would have known how to find the old Skyway station, the heads on the wall in the Winnie the Pooh ride, etc. if it hadn't been for reading about them online.

For me, it's like asking if going on the ride once makes it less magical the next time, and I think no. I think it's great to be able to see things when I can't get to the parks, and I especially like seeing more information about the rides and shows.

Then again, I'm a stagehand, so I know how a lot of the "tricks" are done, and that doesn't ruin the magic for me, either. If anything, it enhances it, because I can admire an effect when it's done well.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

I will admit, seeing some discussions on this forum from time to time have ruined it for me temporarily.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• World Famous Gold Mickey

For me it it is just the opposite - for example I never had a desire to do a cruise. Then we start seeing all the videos and internet stuff and you tube. All it did was make us want to go and experience it for our selfs. There are things we would not have done if not for the internet. If anything its made more magical stuff for us.

Gold Mickey Says:
    I also get to go to the Disney stuff ! Woo Hoo !

• Minion

ORDDU: The internet community certainly CAN ruin your experiences at the Disney parks--if you let it. I'm referring to certain negative comments that others make when they are ripping your own favorite Disney movies or theme park attractions to shreds with their vicious, thoughtless comments. The trick is to consider the source and realize some people thrive on raining on the Disney parades of others. There are certain posters who, as soon as we see their names, we don't bother to read because we just know something negative this ways comes.

ORWEN: At the same time, there are other names we see whom we rush to read whatever they have to say because they are so positive and helpful.

ORGOCH: Got Barbarann?

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    simple answer for me ...nope!!!!!
    Same here....helps me cope with Disney withdrawl between visits. :P
    For the love of Disney....

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: The internet community certainly CAN ruin your experiences at the Disney parks--if you let it. I'm referring to certain negative comments that others make when they are ripping your own favorite Disney movies or theme park attractions to shreds with their vicious, thoughtless comments. The trick is to consider the source and realize some people thrive on raining on the Disney parades of others. There are certain posters who, as soon as we see their names, we don't bother to read because we just know something negative this ways comes.

ORWEN: At the same time, there are other names we see whom we rush to read whatever they have to say because they are so positive and helpful.

ORGOCH: Got Barbarann?
    Totally and completely agree, Ladies!

Don't forget that *way* before the internet Walt was broadcasting Disneyland's construction and operation, including full ride-throughs to a national audience on his TV show -- originally titled "Disneyland," BTW. It seems to have made people want to come then and I can't imagine it not working now.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

It ruins it for me, so I don't watch the videos before I ride the new attraction. So glad I avoided the spoilers for Radiator Springs Raceway. But after I've experienced, I like being able to go back and watch the rides on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    It ruins it for me, so I don't watch the videos before I ride the new attraction. So glad I avoided the spoilers for Radiator Springs Raceway. But after I've experienced, I like being able to go back and watch the rides on YouTube.
    Same for me, I don't watch videos of rides I haven't experienced.

Thanks for the podcast! Country bear jamboree looks boring to me from the clips you showed. I have no memories of it and I think those on the board that miss it are nostalgic!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Now on the other side of the coin......The internet is the reason I've been able to re-experience America Sings, ATIS, Skyway, Old School Subs and Berry Tales from Knotts. From that perspective the magic is not only enhanced but also the nostalgia it gives allowing me to show them to my kids.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast