Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47

Thread: Star Wars Land

  1. #31

    • film975
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    1,343

    Re: Star Wars Land

    I agree that Star Wars and Marvel wouldn't be enough for a third gate. But I'd be all for a Star Wars land and a Marvel land in DCA. or at DHS in Disney World.

  2. #32

    • ~
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    557

    Re: Star Wars Land

    Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    I get where PiecesOfEight is coming from. For that matter, Radiator Springs isn't in California either, it's not even a real place anymore than the Toy Story boardwalk or the Bugs Life tree stump. If it bothers people so much that there's non-California stuff in DCA then let's just rename the park and be done with it. God knows it's already been tried to make DCA a park all about California and for 10 years we saw terrible attractions make for a mediocre park.
    Radiator Springs beautifully resembles the roadside towns that can be found along the Californian portion of Route 66, among other secluded highways in the deserts of California. The entire land captures a significant piece of Californian history and pays homage to California's car culture. The fantastic rock work that creates the desert's skyline perfectly replicates the gorgeous scenery of the Californian desert, a significant geographical portion of California that was previously ignored in the park. Although I'm not crazy that the land came to DCA in the form of the Cars franchise, the Route 66/desert/car theme of the land perfectly compliments and enhances the Californian theme of the park. I've mentioned on a previous thread that I was always amazed at the fact that in California, you can travel from a forest on a snow-capped mountain to the middle of the desert to a sunny, sandy beach in just a couple hours and I love how that's now captured in the park. The entire boardwalk isn't themed to Toy Story, merely one ride that you can't tell is based on Toy Story until you get close to its queue and see its sign or AA Potato Head and whose facade manages to evoke the feel of a Victorian seaside pier. And no, I won't even try to defend "a bug's land" or The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure, however, the presence of California history and culture strongly overpowers the other elements that clash with the theme.

    Oh, and with a state so rich with history and story, the Californian theme was definitely not the problem for the terrible attractions and the overall mediocrity of DCA.1. The park still has loads of potential if Disney decides to be serious and continue fixing its problems with the same diligence as BVS and Cars Land.
    Last edited by gatheringrosebuds; 11-01-2012 at 09:18 PM.

  3. #33

    • Artistic integrity
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    3,519

    Re: Star Wars Land

    Quote Originally Posted by Experiment 626 View Post
    So much for giving up my AP!
    I don't think you'll have to worry about that for a LONG time.

    Making a business acquisition ... And development for theme park attractions is like comparing a 20 minute board meeting ... to the construction of ancient Rome! ;-)

    They made that acquisition with James Cameron ... Well ... big deal. Nice to hear the news of it (like this) .... but will be YEARS (2017) ..... when the new project opens in Animal Kingdom.

    Disney buys Lucas' company - nice.

    Back to Normal.

    When it's 2018 or later (SIX whopping years later) ... is when I can get excited ... Because the wait for a "star wars" theme park project ... will be a very long time from now.

  4. #34

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,465

    Re: Star Wars Land

    Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    I'm new here so correct me if I'm wrong....

    I thought that Disney completely (and rightfully so in my opinion) abandoned the idea that everything in DCA was supposed to be California-themed during the time it was called "Disney's California Adventure". The "new" version ("Disney California Adventure") had no intention of having everything somehow based in California, but more themed as whatever (some California, some not) in a Disney park that just happens to be located in California. Is it just that people are stuck in their old view of the park's name?

    I mean, Tokyo Disneyland has "Tokyo" in its name, but no one is up in arms that the entire thing isn't themed to Tokyo. ("Is Big Thunder Mountain in Shibuya or Koto? I can't seem to find it on my map of Tokyo.")
    I don't think it's that the physical location must be in California, but it should be represented by California. Paradise Pier doesn't really exist because it's not a replica of some pier somewhere along the coast. Same goes for Pacific Wharf, Grizzly Peak, Condor Flats... They're just representations of major aspects of Californian culture and locale.

    I always thought Disneylands overseas were named after the country because they wanted to avoid confusion, not because it represents the country.

  5. #35

    • -
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uijeongbu
    Posts
    6,609

    Re: Star Wars Land

    Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    I'm new here so correct me if I'm wrong....

    I thought that Disney completely (and rightfully so in my opinion) abandoned the idea that everything in DCA was supposed to be California-themed during the time it was called "Disney's California Adventure".
    If that was the case, they wouldn't have themed the new entrance to 1940's LA, included the Red Cars, an homage to the CA car culture and the western terminus of Route 66, or beefed up the theme of a Victorian Era CA pier.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

  6. #36

    • My Children's Father
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Island in the Sun
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Star Wars Land

    Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    Radiator Springs beautifully resembles the roadside towns that can be found along the Californian portion of Route 66, among other secluded highways in the deserts of California. The entire land captures a significant piece of Californian history and pays homage to California's car culture. The fantastic rock work that creates the desert's skyline perfectly replicates the gorgeous scenery of the Californian desert, a significant geographical portion of California that was previously ignored in the park. Although I'm not crazy that the land came to DCA in the form of the Cars franchise, the Route 66/desert/car theme of the land perfectly compliments and enhances the Californian theme of the park. I've mentioned on a previous thread that I was always amazed at the fact that in California, you can travel from a forest on a snow-capped mountain to the middle of the desert to a sunny, sandy beach in just a couple hours and I love how that's now captured in the park. The entire boardwalk isn't themed to Toy Story, merely one ride that you can't tell is based on Toy Story until you get close to its queue and see its sign or AA Potato Head and whose facade manages to evoke the feel of a Victorian seaside pier. And no, I won't even try to defend "a bug's land" or The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure, however, the presence of California history and culture strongly overpowers the other elements that clash with the theme.

    Oh, and with a state so rich with history and story, the Californian theme was definitely not the problem for the terrible attractions and the overall mediocrity of DCA.1. The park still has loads of potential if Disney decides to be serious and continue fixing its problems with the same diligence as BVS and Cars Land.
    I have to respectfully disagree with your points in bold above. It has been well documented that the landscaping of Carsland was inspired by towns and the desert terrain in Arizona, New Mexico, and Utah. The California Desert along US 66 bears little resemblance to the terrain in Carsland. If anything, it resembles (pardon my brain fade in not remembering the proper name) the former sub-land that housed Soarin' and the Taste Pilot's Grill. Carsland better resembles the geology and topography of Monument Valley or Sedona.


    My comments are born form a lifetime of roadtrips from California to locations Eastward, and having worked 25 years for a transportation agency with jurisdiction over the Mojave Desert area where US 66 is located. When I saw Cars, Radiator Springs reminded me of Winslow, Kingman, Tucamcari, and Gallup, but not Barstow or Needles. I will admit I'm not that familiar with Amboy or Essex ....

    BugsLand, at least in the context of It's a Bug's Life, could be California. I have been in California landscapes that resemble those from the movie (as little as is presented in "human perception scale" , which is completely absent in BugsLand)

    Having said all that, I do agree heartily with your other comments. And having grown up in Bakersfield among many Dust Bowl immigrants and their descendants, I have a deep appreciation for the importance of US 66 to California. Which is why I'm "OK" with a land in DCA that is not, strictly speaking, California.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

  7. #37

    • AKA - DisneyChris
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    445

    Re: Star Wars Land

    I hope Disneyland Resort is less specific about the overall theme of its third gate - And that is is a theme less associated with something that is NOT Disney.

    Westcot anyone??? sigh....
    ___________________________________________


    Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com
    ____________________________________________

  8. #38

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    264

    Re: Star Wars Land

    Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    I agree that Star Wars and Marvel wouldn't be enough for a third gate. But I'd be all for a Star Wars land and a Marvel land in DCA. or at DHS in Disney World.
    magic mountain has almost an entire park based off super heroes. so marvel + starwars would be more than enough for its own park

  9. #39

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    232

    Re: Star Wars Land

    If that was the case, they wouldn't have themed the new entrance to 1940's LA, included the Red Cars, an homage to the CA car culture and the western terminus of Route 66, or beefed up the theme of a Victorian Era CA pier.
    Please re-read my post.

    I said his is why they abandoned the idea that everything in DCA was supposed to be California themed...nowhere did I say that nothing was going to be California themed.

  10. #40

    • -
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uijeongbu
    Posts
    6,609

    Re: Star Wars Land

    Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    Please re-read my post.

    I said his is why they abandoned the idea that everything in DCA was supposed to be California themed...nowhere did I say that nothing was going to be California themed.
    I read the post. The point of my post was they haven't abandoned the idea. Every new thing has something to do with CA. Those who are abandoning the idea are the ones suggesting to dump anything new into CA Adventure even if it has nothing to do with CA.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

  11. #41

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    333

    Re: Star Wars Land

    How long did it take from Disney's purchase of Marvel until the announcement of the Iron Man ride in Tomorrowland? I do expect a Star Wars ride announcement to arrive much sooner.

    Also, if both star wars & marvel property is in DLR, will they build more marvel & star wars properties in a third gate?

  12. #42

    • -
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uijeongbu
    Posts
    6,609

    Re: Star Wars Land

    Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    How long did it take from Disney's purchase of Marvel until the announcement of the Iron Man ride in Tomorrowland?
    The Marvel deal went down in 2009 and there still has been no official announcement of any Marvel ride.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

  13. #43

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    333

    Re: Star Wars Land

    a long standing rumor

    Coming soon at Disneyland: Iron Man—the theme park ride? | Blastr

    That was revitalized of recent

    Disneyland

  14. #44

    • -
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uijeongbu
    Posts
    6,609

    Re: Star Wars Land

    Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    a long standing rumor

    Coming soon at Disneyland: Iron Man—the theme park ride? | Blastr

    That was revitalized of recent

    Disneyland
    Neither of those were official confirmation. Just internet speculation.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

  15. #45

    • ~
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    557

    Re: Star Wars Land

    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree with your points in bold above. It has been well documented that the landscaping of Carsland was inspired by towns and the desert terrain in Arizona, New Mexico, and Utah. The California Desert along US 66 bears little resemblance to the terrain in Carsland. If anything, it resembles (pardon my brain fade in not remembering the proper name) the former sub-land that housed Soarin' and the Taste Pilot's Grill. Carsland better resembles the geology and topography of Monument Valley or Sedona.


    My comments are born form a lifetime of roadtrips from California to locations Eastward, and having worked 25 years for a transportation agency with jurisdiction over the Mojave Desert area where US 66 is located. When I saw Cars, Radiator Springs reminded me of Winslow, Kingman, Tucamcari, and Gallup, but not Barstow or Needles. I will admit I'm not that familiar with Amboy or Essex ....

    BugsLand, at least in the context of It's a Bug's Life, could be California. I have been in California landscapes that resemble those from the movie (as little as is presented in "human perception scale" , which is completely absent in BugsLand)

    Having said all that, I do agree heartily with your other comments. And having grown up in Bakersfield among many Dust Bowl immigrants and their descendants, I have a deep appreciation for the importance of US 66 to California. Which is why I'm "OK" with a land in DCA that is not, strictly speaking, California.
    Thanks for such a detailed and thoughtful reply! Although the scenery of Cars was inspired by geographical locations of states other than California, I still think that it resembles the Californian desert, even with the disparities between actual Californian scenery and the elements that are featured in Cars Land, enough to make sense in the context of the Californian theme. Take the rock work for example. I've taken many trips along Highway 18 through the desert, and I've always gazed in awe at the expansive and beautiful rock formations that bring an air of mystery and enchantment to the land, rocks that seem to have their own spirit and their own stories, rocks that look like they've been there since the beginning of time. Although the rock work in Cars Land may look a bit different than what can be found in California, I think that it still conveys that mystery, enchantment, and timelessness to guests. I Googled the highway/Lucerne/Joshua Tree and found some pictures that demonstrate my point better than my words can.

    Name:  joshua tree.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  9.3 KB
    Name:  joshua tree 2.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  10.4 KB
    Name:  joshua tree 4.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  10.0 KB
    Name:  joshua tree 5.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  12.7 KB
    Name:  joshua tree 3.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  7.4 KB
    Name:  lucerne 3.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  8.6 KB
    Name:  lucerne 4.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  172.4 KB

    Compared to the scenery of Cars Land, no, they aren't exactly alike, but both capture the same amazement and stunning natural beauty of the desert, and showcase this completely different world that's an important part of California but was previously absent from the park.

    Name:  cars land 2.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  6.9 KB
    Name:  cars land.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  11.5 KB
    Name:  cars land.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  10.6 KB
    Name:  cars land 2.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  9.5 KB
    Name:  cars land 3.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  14.3 KB

    And as for the actual desert, not the rock work surrounding the land, but the dirt and the foliage and little groupings of smaller rocks, I thought that these pictures of the same area that I mentioned above all looked similar to the desert scenery of the land.

    Name:  imagesCAVE29CS.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  9.1 KB
    Name:  lucerne 1.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  37.3 KB

    Compared to the desert that can be seen in the pictures above on Raditor Springs Racers, I wouldn't say that it's too far-fetched to claim that Cars Land resembles the California desert. A spitting image? No. But close enough to capture what'simportant and significant about it.

    Moving along to a final picture of the highway itself. This isn't actually Route 66, it's the highway that I'm familiar with, the 18, but as I believe I mentioned above, the land ties into the history of all the secluded highways in California. Be it Route 66 or the 18, be it California or Arizona, you still get the same stillness that initially seems eerie or unsettling, but after a while, becomes peaceful and beautiful. Because in this secluded little corner of the Earth you leave behind the headaches of bustling city life and its stress and confusion. You realize that life isn't about living in the fast lane and racing towards your destination, it's about relishing every moment of the journey. And I think that is captured in Cars Land pretty well.

    Name:  lucerne 2.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  67.2 KB

    But "a bug’s land" fails to hit the same notes for me. Bugs? Some green foliage? You can find that anywhere. I think the land made a little more sense with the previous Bountiful Valley Farm, since agriculture is significant specifically to California, something that’s molded the state’s identity and history. But now it feels tagged onto the park without a true purpose or a story to tell about what makes California special. Cars Land, although not specific only to California, has so many qualities that tie into important aspects of the state. The natural beauty of the desert, the car culture, the history of the highway, things that have shaped the state's story and indentity.

    Califonia may not be the only place that you can find these things, but it's one of the very few. Just like California isn't the only place where you can find a seaside pier, or the only place that you can find a forested mountain, or the only place that has significant aviation history, it's one of the few who do, and all these places and images and stories hold a special significance in the history of the state. Whereas you can find ants, caterpillars, and ladybugs in so many different places that it ceases to be unique or particularly significant to the state's indetntiy. That's why I personally believe that Cars Land, although not perfect, works very well with the park, whereas "a bug's land" continues to be a hindrance.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Idea] Star Wars Land at Disney's Hollywood Studios
    By Prometheus in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 11:38 AM
  2. [Idea] Star wars land (hong kong disneyland)
    By Mickey Mouse rocks in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-15-2011, 04:36 PM
  3. [Idea] How About a Star Wars Land In DL?
    By DCAfanatic in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 01-22-2009, 09:37 PM
  4. Star Wars 'Land' in MGM?
    By KISSman in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 06-10-2007, 11:56 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •