Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Land

• Armchair Imagineer

Star Wars Land

With Disney purchasing LucasFilm (and affiliated companies) for $4.5 Billion, some pundits claim that Star Wars Land will not be built at the Disneyland Resort due to "inadequate space". Don't you believe it! Star Wars Land will make for the perfect "Third Gate" in Anaheim, and here is where it will be located:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Star Wars Land

I'm all for it, but how could it be over/under a highway?

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    I'm all for it, but how could it be over/under a highway?
    No problem.

I know of a Millenium Falcon that made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs.

• Minion

They mean the "strawberry fields" lot that Disney purchased for $97 million or whatever, and is using partly as a cast member parking lot now. South of Katella and east of Harbor. I'd be in favor of an action/adventure theme park there, with Star Wars and Marvel themes. But I'd want a more imaginative and evocative name for it than just "Star Wars Land" or "Marvel Land." Star Tours could be moved over there, freeing up a prime location in Tomorrowland for something new. They should have bought the GardenWalk mall too, so they could build a transportation network connecting the 3 parks, the 2 malls, all the Disney-owned hotels and parking facilities with one easy-to-use transportation system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    They should have bought the GardenWalk mall too, so they could build a transportation network connecting the 3 parks, the 2 malls, all the Disney-owned hotels and parking facilities with one easy-to-use transportation system.
    Yep!

• No Disassemble!

They've been holding on to that land forever and coincidentally the vast outdoor parking lot space next to the Mickey & Friends structure has never been developed on. It seems like the plan would/should be for Mickey & Friends structure to be expanded while work begins on the new park or vice-versa. Cars Land has helped out the surrounding hotels and businesses, imagine how a Star Wars Land/Kingdom will further boost the local economy! And for that prospect the Anaheim planning commission should pretty much give Disney full reign over the whole territory meaning that it wouldn't be hard to believe that in a few years you'll be seeing monorails passing above you at Katella & Harbor.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

If there was a Star Wars Land, I'd be pretty overjoyed, but I find it hard to believe despite the purchase of Lucasfilm. We'll see.

• Nor Cal AP'er

So much for giving up my AP!
    I am a Annual Pass Holder and I'm better than you! lol!

Quote Originally Posted by neemarita View Post
    If there was a Star Wars Land, I'd be pretty overjoyed, but I find it hard to believe despite the purchase of Lucasfilm. We'll see.
    Same here...
    For the love of Disney....

• Mischievous Mouse

I have a baaaad feeling about this.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

One day it will be in the third gate....they making a third trilogy and one of the best ways of keeping the brand alive is in theme parks

• Minion

Very smart of Disney to buy them just as the Star Wars films are dead reaching their peak.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
    I have a baaaad feeling about this.
    That's funny. ...and Weaver's probably right. ( about "dead" not peak )

On the upside, these films are sort of timeless and have the momentum to stay popular for a long time, probably well after many of us have passed on. I can't explain it, but I just suspect it probably will.

As for a dedicated park for just Star Wars? ...or Marvel? ...or Pixar, or Muppets, or... I don't know. A Disney park's strengths tends to come from it's diversity. Walt created a series of lands, he didn't just make Fantasyland and leave it at that. It just makes sense to build a park that's flexible enough it could be about anything ( DCA ) and then slip in a little Pixar here, and some muppets there, and then some unique rides that have nothing to do with any real licensed items, etc.

Moves like this work outside of Disney, too. Look at Islands of Adventure and Harry Potter. They just wiped the slate clean and made a new land, and it breathed all new life into the park. If you made a dedicated Harry Potter park it would probably be popular for a while but as time goes on and it's narrowed scope becomes stale, so does park attendance. I could see a Star Wars park being really popular for about 5-10 years and then....?

There's so many threads on this whole Star Wars business that I haven't wasted my time reading them all but I hope I'm not the first to wonder what this means to other Star Wars partners like Legoland. ( Same thing it meant to Universal regarding Marvel? )
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

• My Children's Father

As somebody else posted somewhere recently, Disney has had a good relationship with George Lucas for a while now. DCA could have been SWland, if they thought that was a good idea. If DCA has taught them anything, it is that great care must be taken in choosing a park theme (it can be limiting to both imagineers and/or the target audience) and they can not "rest on their laurels" and expect the throngs to show up.

Call me weird (beyond my obvious nerdiness), but I think if a SW park were to be built, I would happily go, but I would feel an empathetic sadness for those that are there and don't "get it" because they are not SW fans. Sure, the rides would be fun and they may have a good time, but their level of understanding and appreciation would suffer, and so would I.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    Call me weird (beyond my obvious nerdiness), but I think if a SW park were to be built, I would happily go, but I would feel an empathetic sadness for those that are there and don't "get it" because they are not SW fans. Sure, the rides would be fun and they may have a good time, but their level of understanding and appreciation would suffer, and so would I.
    I think if anything, their level of knowledge of the subject matter would improve. All it takes is one ride through a dark ride like Peter Pan or Pinocchio to figure out what is going on in the story. A couple of Star Wars dark rides could do the same thing.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast