Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Among mad people

Re: Rumor has it Johnny Depp was at Mickey's Halloween Party dressed like Jack Sparro

I remember at the party on the 9th, I was in line to see Captain Jack, (Who got removed when I was 3 people away and replaced with Capt Hook. )

Anyway, the girls behind me wouldnt stop yammering about him. "Oh my god. I really think thats Johnny Depp! Look at him, he's so perfect. Do you think it is? X 300"
    Just sayin'

• Mrs. J. Depp

Re: Rumor has it Johnny Depp was at Mickey's Halloween Party dressed like Jack Sparro

I would love to see that photo larger. If anyone can tell Mr. Depp, it's me. Johnny does like to surprise people every now and again. It wouldn't shock me in the slightest if he was actually there. What a perfect way for him to be incognito. If anyone remembers, a couple of years ago at the D23 Expo, he surprised everyone by riding into the panel on a pirate ship dressed as Jack Sparrow.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Minion

If you saw him, you should have cocked your head to the side and said, "Hmm... keep working on it."

• Senior Minion

Sorry, but this rumor is total Fantasyland. There's zero chance that Disney would spend the big bucks needed to have Johnny Depp play Jack Sparrow at Disneyland, and then not publicize it.

Nor would Depp show up at Disneyland as Sparrow of his own accord: besides risking his safety without massive security surrounding him, he doesn't own the character's likeness. He isn't free to play Sparrow in public without legal approval from the copyright holders, any more than he could perform a copyrighted song without paying royalties.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 11-01-2012 at 04:23 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Sorry, but this rumor is total Fantasyland. There's zero chance that Disney would spend the big bucks to have Johnny Depp play Jack Sparrow at Disneyland, and not publicize it.

Nor would Depp show up at Disneyland as Sparrow of his own accord: besides risking his safety without massive security surrounding him, he doesn't own the character's likeness. He isn't free to play Sparrow in public without legal approval from the copyright holders, any more than he could perform a copyrighted song in public without paying royalties.
    So I must have dreamed about reading this article... Johnny Depp's surprise visit to London primary school as Captain Jack Sparrow | Mail Online

---------- Post added 11-02-2012 at 12:25 AM ----------

And that was hardly a publicity stunt. The only footage from that is off someone's phone

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    So I must have dreamed about reading this article... Johnny Depp's surprise visit to London primary school as Captain Jack Sparrow | Mail Online

---------- Post added 11-02-2012 at 12:25 AM ----------

And that was hardly a publicity stunt. The only footage from that is off someone's phone
    Businesswise, doing something charitable for a school kid in response to a little girl's letter, when he was filming nearby, is hardly the same as appearing at a commercial event at Disneyland. In any event, his agent or business rep would have had to clear the London appearance with the copyright holders, same as for Anaheim.

Depp-as-Sparrow at Mickey's Halloween Party is a fantasy:

Quote Originally Posted by MSCguy View Post
    ...the girls behind me wouldnt stop yammering about him. "Oh my god. I really think thats Johnny Depp! Look at him, he's so perfect. Do you think it is? X 300"

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Businesswise, doing something charitable for a school kid in response for a letter, when he was filming nearby, is hardly the same as appearing at a commercial event at Disneyland. In any event, his agent or business rep would have had to clear the London appearance with the copyright holders, same as for Anaheim.

Depp-as-Sparrow at Mickey's Halloween Party is a fantasy:
    He could have just done it for fun? I think I would quite enjoy doing that.

I think its unlikely he did actually appear there, but personally I'm not writing it 100% off.

• Mouse Maniac

I think its unlikely he did actually appear there, but personally I'm not writing it 100% off.
    exactly. Maybe he went through those legal hoops and hops to be able to do this.

• Minion

I dont really understand what legal problems there would be

Scenario 1 - Depp goes to Disneyland as a guest dressed as Jack Sparrow
    Hundreds of other guests are dressed as Sparrow with no legal problems
    Thousands of guests are dressed as other Disney and non Disney characters with no legal problems

Scenario 2 - Depp appears at the event as Jack Sparrow in conjunction with Disney
    Disney own the character, they dont need permission from themselves
    Jack Sparrow already appears in the park, how is Johnny Depp legally any different to any other cast member that portrays Jack Sparrow in the parks?

• Senior Minion

I dont really understand what legal problems there would be

Scenario 1 - Depp goes to Disneyland as a guest dressed as Jack Sparrow
    Hundreds of other guests are dressed as Sparrow with no legal problems
    Thousands of guests are dressed as other Disney and non Disney characters with no legal problems

Scenario 2 - Depp appears at the event as Jack Sparrow in conjunction with Disney
    Disney own the character, they dont need permission from themselves
    Jack Sparrow already appears in the park, how is Johnny Depp legally any different to any other cast member that portrays Jack Sparrow in the parks?
    Explaining this would get into a lonnnng post about IP ownership and how it works in the real world of the film business. For another time, another thread.

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Actually he is just as free to do scenario number one as any other guest... as for clearing copyright, while I understand Wiggin's premise, the need to keep Johnny happy to keep doing the paid gigs as Sparrow would mean that Disney would bend over backwards to allow him to do this. That being said,

It's highly unlikely Depp came to DL as Sparrow for this Halloween event. Stopping at a school or London hospital while filming, who's gonna stop him... but shooting over to DCA for a thrill, probably not.

Sorry, but this rumor is total Fantasyland. There's zero chance that Disney would spend the big bucks needed to have Johnny Depp play Jack Sparrow at Disneyland, and then not publicize it.

Nor would Depp show up at Disneyland as Sparrow of his own accord: besides risking his safety without massive security surrounding him, he doesn't own the character's likeness. He isn't free to play Sparrow in public without legal approval from the copyright holders, any more than he could perform a copyrighted song without paying royalties.
    Having never seen his original contract, and given how the studio was against his portrayal of the character until it hit BIG, he very well could have been given legal rights to portray the character at his own accord.

(Total guess on my part, but weirder things have been signed into many other contracts!)

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment 626 View Post

probably not. but at a distance you do take a second look. Good costume!

---------- Post added 11-01-2012 at 08:22 PM ----------

If Johnny wanted to dress up and hit the parks, I doubt anyone would stop him.

Thing is, why would he want to? Although....stranger things have happened. Especially when you're talking about Johnny Depp. : )
    [Half awake] How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Yes, he is a good double, but you can tell that isn't him. The face is a bit longer the Johnny's. Still, nice to see someone trying that hard!
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Say Cheese!

I believe the guy in that photo is this guy:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast