No Expiration Option at Disneyland

I am considering the No Expiration option on WDW tickets as a possible price hedge for use at Disneyland, and wanted to find out others' opinions and experiences and ask some questions.

My basic situation is that we live in northern California and my parents live in the LA area. We visit them 1-2 times per year, and our daughter loves Disneyland. On each trip south, we might want to go to Disneyland for a quick 1 day trip, or at most 2 days at a time. We've been to Orlando once, but are unlikely to return in the next several years, so the intent is to buy the ticket online and use it exclusively at Disneyland.

Questions:
    -My understanding is that WDW park hopper NE tickets can be exchanged for Disneyland Park Hoppers one day at a time. Is this true? What is the process for doing the exchange? Do I just take the ticket to one of ticket windows between DL and CA?

-Our daughter is under 10 right now, but may cross her 10th birthday before the NE ticket expires. I've seen conflicting reports on whether I would need to pay an upgrade fee to use the ticket after she turns 10 if there are still days left on the NE ticket. Does anyone know for sure? In some cases, people have said it is a free upgrade. Also, will I be able to do the exchange at the park in Anaheim?

-Can the ticket be first used at DL in Anaheim? Is it OK to use it up only in Anaheim?

My basic premise is that this will end up cheaper in the long run. Instead of buying single day tickets once or twice a year for 5 years, I'd get a 10-day parkhopper with the No Expiration option and use that up over time. I'd also be able to lock in the current ticket prices (and not pay the yearly increases) and might also be able to lock in a "child" price for my daughter for a couple of years. Is this at all feasible and/or advisable? Or am I just an idiot?

Thanks!

Re: No Expiration Option at Disneyland

Last edited by Jerryp49; 11-01-2012 at 12:56 PM.

My understanding was the ticket had to be used in WDW at least once.

• The Tomorrowland One

You can, but it needs to be the physical ticket. And I do think it needs to be used at least once in WDW to start it.

To use it, you just go right to the turnstiles. A lead needs to come out and take the tickets to a computer in their office that is connected to WDWs system. Once it is confirmed, the lead will return with your tickets and one day DLR tix that you use for that day. You would have no reason to go to the ticket booths unless you were trying to upgrade your WDW tix to premier annual passes.

• Under that tree again!

I've heard of a few people using WDW first at DLR, but I believe it was an exception and not thier policy.

Also DLR does this for guest service and it could end any time.

OK, sounds like this isn't such a great idea. It might not be workable without a visit to WDW first, and there is some risk involved.

I wonder why DL doesn't have the same "no expiration" option on its tickets - probably to prevent people like me doing this. I imagine DL gets many more single-day visitors than WDW.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by newbs View Post
    I wonder why DL doesn't have the same "no expiration" option on its tickets - probably to prevent people like me doing this. I imagine DL gets many more single-day visitors than WDW.
    It's probably so locals that do their yearly visit don't get todays pricing for tickets to use for the next ten years.