Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Western River Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    While at Disneyland last week, a cast member told me a rumor that Big Thunder was going down for a full year for a new and, possibly, an extended track. If what he said was going to happen, it will be a nice addition. But, I wasn't given permission to spell it out, so let's just hope the Imagineers will come through!
    An extended track sounds great! I've always thought the last part of the ride (the last little hill and the "splashdown") is rather underwhelming. I'd love to see a bigger ending. Or how about a revived "Rainbow Caverns" area? Ah! That would be wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    Howdy Pards,

There's been a lotta talk around these parts of bringin' back the original Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland...and...the Original Marc Davis Western River Expedition. Now, with the Lone Ranger comin' up...seems to me all this might indeed be kinda possible.

As for bein' politically correct...do you realize that there is a Pirate in Disneyland who hasn't washed his dirty feet in well over 40 years? There's a certain Redhead in there who has been temptin' pirates, and passersby, ever since the adventure began. I hope the politically correct folks never wash that pirate's feet or replace that Redhead that all the pirates want to buy.

Adventure sometimes calls for pirates to rest a spell with some contented pigs in the mud...or burn down towns for that matter...or tempt little kitty cats with a bottle of rum...

The Western River Expedition had a lotta humor in it...Marc Davis brought that same brand of humor to the Jungle Cruise where it's O.K. to take pictures of the Elephants cause..."they all have their trunks on."

The Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland showcased the Wildlife and Natural wonders of our country in much the same way as the Jungle Cruise showcases the critters found in the exotic corners of the world. There's a feller on the Jungle Cruise still sellin' shrunken heads after all these years...

Both these new attractions should NOT be thrill rides...there's more than enough of them around the parks these days. Instead, they should bring back adventures for the whole family and celebrate America's Frontier West...it's scenery, history, legends, and wildlife...

Having said that, of course, taint nuthin' wrong with "balancin' rocks" and beautiful waterfalls and geysers and such... a whole lotta us old timers are hopin' that one day they will bring back Cascade Peak with it's beautiful waterfalls right there on the banks of the Rivers of America.
    Twernt nuthin' prettier than seein' the ol' Mark Twain comin' round the bend at Cascade Peak...

Given the amazing things the Imagineers have done with the scenery in Carsland...there is just no doubt that they could bring back Nature's Wonderland and throw in the Western River Expedition...bigger, and far better than it ever was. It would truly be a wonderful addition to the park, bringing back some of Walt's original philosophy for the park...a place where young children and older adults could laugh and play and learn together...not just teenagers and twenty somethings...

Sides, I've always been mor'n a little fond of the Old West don't ya know?

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan

A beautiful post. I agree with you from front to back. Maybe it will happen or maybe it won't but at the very least I don't see who wouldn't want to see Cascade Peak back.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by JM Disneyland View Post
    Needs to be made, seriously.

Poor Frontierland never gets any updates. A McDonald's fry cart and an reconfigured restaurant name is not doing the land justice.

Attachment 24822

what are you talking about!??? Hungry Bear just had a HUGE update last year with a whole menu change..oh wait that critter country.. sorry.. but still Rancho Del zocalo had a update i think recently..frontierland has had updates. i am sure

---------- Post added 11-08-2012 at 12:13 PM ----------

..just realized we aren't talking about food here.. LOL

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by darkamor View Post
    Disneyland's Frontierland needs more "oomph" (which means getting rid of the Petting Zoo & Theatre that are a waste of square feet - along with reopening the area that was closed off which was apart of the original Rainbow Caverns / Nature's Wonderland) along with another dining area / bathrooms....

[all that space beyond this original tunnel could be used to create another ride for Frontierland]

http://www.yesterland.com/images-fro...nant2007ww.jpg

C J
    I disagree with you. The petting zoo is an awesome addition to Frontierland, and adds character to the land.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    I disagree with you. The petting zoo is an awesome addition to Frontierland, and adds character to the land.
    I disagree. If I want to pet animals and see a lot more, I go to the San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park.

• Under that tree again!

Particularily a corral of horses, the optimal mode of transportation in the Wild West.

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I disagree. If I want to pet animals and see a lot more, I go to the San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park.
    Yes, you can go there to pet animals and see a lot more, mainly because it's a zoo. Disneyland is a theme park full of rides and attractions, and Big Thunder Ranch is a unique diversion, that fits greatly in Frontierland.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Yes, you can go there to pet animals and see a lot more, mainly because it's a zoo. Disneyland is a theme park full of rides and attractions, and Big Thunder Ranch is a unique diversion, that fits greatly in Frontierland.
    Horse-drawn carriages on Main Street make sense. A mule train ride in Frontierland makes sense. But a petting zoo in Frontierland makes no sense to me at all. Did they have petting zoos in the old west?

• hunter of Hidden Mickeys

Horse-drawn carriages on Main Street make sense. A mule train ride in Frontierland makes sense. But a petting zoo in Frontierland makes no sense to me at all. Did they have petting zoos in the old west?
    taken from Disney's website:
    "Inspired by the western ranches of the 1880s, Big Thunder Ranch features a small wooden ranch house and petting barnyard where young cowpokes can meet and pet barnyard animals, such as cows, goats, sheep, donkeys and pigs. From time to time, the ranch has even served as home to the Thanksgiving turkeys pardoned by the President of the United States."

so no technically there were no petting zoos in the old west, but the concept of a western ranch definitely fits within the theme of Frontierland.

Frontierland used to be the best land in Disneyland, back when you could ride a real stage coach, back when there was a real Indian Village, and back when you could ride a burro. Did I remember that right? Anyways, I got onto Radiator Springs, last Sunday, in five minutes by walking straight into it at the opening and getting into the single rider line.

• Nic

So goats, horses, and cows had no presence in the frontier? I beg to differ.
    Fear of the unknown.

• Doombuggy Rider

I've enjoyed reading everyone's opinions whether you agreed with me - or not - that Disneyland's Frontierland needs more "oomph"; yet please do not consider what I am posting as just criticism .... please look @ it as an honest opinion of what works in Frontierland ... and what changes could improve Frontierland by looking @ the area -

Frontierland | Disneyland Park

Frontierland boasts one of my favorite Restaurants (Rancho Del Zocalo), which also has some of the cleanest bathrooms (since they're hidden away from public foot traffic) ....

Frontierland also boats one of my favorite coasters - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (although I miss thee original splash @ the end), which offers a nice tribute to the Nature's Wonderland (although brief with only a few audio animatronic animals) ....

Frontierland still offers one of my favorite experiences via the Mark Twain Riverboat / Sailing Ship Columbia around the Rivers of America that every other "zone" @ Disneyland is missing (a sit down experience that's both relaxing & pleasant which lasts over 5 minutes); while maintaining its Shootin' Exposition (Shooting Gallery) ....

What I would love to change is move thee dining experience within the Golden Horseshoe Saloon (so that Park Guests can enjoy a longer show without being distracted by dining) into an improved Stage Door Cafe (make it as large as Rancho Del Zocalo with an expanded menu - and new bathrooms - so that Park Guests can dine here & then enter the Saloon to enjoy a Live Show) ....

I can't help but feel the Big Thunder Ranch Petting Zoo / Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue / Notre Dame Theatre (or, what's left of it) are a waste of space. This area takes up a large chunk of what used to be where Nature's Wonderland and Western River Expedition would cohesively meet without ruining the experience for either attraction / ride. Audio Animatronic Animals along a slow moving ride / attraction (whether its on a railroad track, or within a log flume on par with It's A Small World) would make Frontierland complete (and animatronic animals are easier to maintain then real animals) ....

With all the Pirate implementations on Tom Sawyer Island (& the fact Fort Wilderness was never repaired properly), I'd just as soon consider that apart of New Orleans Square (might as well turn the rafts that go back n' forth to the Island into mini pirate ships & give Cast Members on the Island Pirate Uniforms) ...

I wouldn't change a thing about the look of the Pioneer Mercantile , Silver Spur Supplies , Westward Ho Trading Co. (except I preferred the merchandise they used to have from the Fess Parker era vs the Toy Story Characters that get schilled out today) ...

Frontierland feels more complete then Tomorrowland, I just think it needs an experience that offers more of what Nature's Wonderland / Western River Expedition did for Park Guests @ a slower pace then a roller coaster ...

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123