Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Knight that says Nee!!

Re: GAP = hard feelings?

It's too bad you had to go through that. There is no short supply of ignorant morons that assume all people who require special consideration/courtesy for health problems are in a wheel chair.

I hope you don't have to deal with this kind of stupidity again. Personally if I were the cast member i would have "professionally" but firmly told the guy that "not all guests who require assistance need to be in a wheel chair, unless you have some kind of official medical records on this guest perhaps you should move along and continue enjoying your day in the park."

I know, I know, probably too confrontational for DLR, but I swear I would say it professionally and with a huge smile!

• Minion

Don't get too upset at this. Easier to ignore the person and carry on with your visit. Don't be down that you and your guest were treated correctly. Don't be ashamed either. You were the better person.

• I am number 4 of 999

His criticism really doesn't make any sense, based on the fact that your friend was standing in the actual line. It's not like he was going to ride with your friend, so it didn't impact his wait whatsoever, since most rides are made for at least two people.

Some people.
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• Just drawn that way

I am very sorry to hear. I just got back from the park and was going to post something about GAC, but found this post first. So I think this may be a good thread to post in.

I am trying to build up lost muscles due to being confined to being curled up in bed or in a wheel chair for a few years, so today I figured I'd not take my chair today. As I am waiting in line to get my new GAC I mom told her son it was for 'lazy's and handicapped, lazy handicapped' This made me very sad for her ignorance. Getting my card even with giving them my expired card to them was a hassle, I asked to speak with a women so I don't have to tell men my needs....I am kinda shy about some of my problems and want to be honest instead of saying 'I can't sit, stand or walk for long periods of time' because it's a little more than that. I always carry my doctors notes with me in case of an emergency, which CM's told me they can't look at it because they can't diagnose whats wrong with me. After a bit of time they gave me my new pass.
    I only went on 4 things, no coasters. At one place that GAC line was a bit longer than usual but it wasn't bad. A friend started to notice that the cm wasn't checking a group of 8's pass......then a group of two was let in with no pass.....they got to me and didn't check mine. Then next ride I went to they asked for my GAC, AP and ID.

There needs to be a better way for the GAC and people need to learn not all illnesses or disability's are noticeable visible. I already feel bad enough that I don't need everyone to make their own judgements of me or whispering I am faking. And sadly it's not the first time I've seen or heard these things.

Again sorry. I know there isn't a way fix the ignorance of others........

But does anyone have suggestions how to fix GAC problems?
    Little and broken, but still good.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    It's too bad you had to go through that. There is no short supply of ignorant morons that assume all people who require special consideration/courtesy for health problems are in a wheel chair.
    Part of the problem is this symbol. I know when it was created it was for good intentions only, but it has become a very misleading symbol...

I am in no way excusing this guys behaviour, and I think Disney should have kicked him out (or at least empowered their CMs to stop it or called security).
    This symbol needs to be changed - keep the colors, but change it to something else (my vote in the past was a white "D" on blue). It needs to be changed b/c there are ignorant ppl out there (many of them) who can really only learn by repeated viewing of pictures and they have been trained to think "disabled = wheelchair".

• formerly very helpful

If it is any consolation, although this jerk made his offensive and ignorant remarks, there were surely hundreds or more people who understand and only wish for you and others with disabilities the best, and are grateful they don't need this.
    We had similar situation in Walt Disney World since my son had a heart condition and couldn't stand for a long time, although walking wasn't a problem. Therefore no wheelchair. People are ignorant and uncaring. Personally, I would have much rather waited in all the lines than have to worry about my son facing a heart procedure. I'm sure all people needing a GAC feel the same way.
    People like that jerk is a good part of the reason why I spend so much time with my dogs.

• Lighting Design Lover

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Personally, I would have much rather waited in all the lines than have to worry about my son facing a heart procedure. I'm sure all people needing a GAC feel the same way.
    This^. I think too many people don't think about that all these people with GACs, they may be getting a benefit by not having to wait line, but it's for a reason, and almost all of these people with GACs would trade and accept having to wait in line if their aliment could just go away (some of them even if it could just go away for that one day) in a heartbeat.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Maybe you should have suggested to this slimeball that he stop by City Hall to pick up a GAC for his mental instability.
    They could have issues him one of Danny Vermin's ( Johnny Dangerously ) disabled placards for being mental.

Name:  DannyVermin.png
Views: 265
Size:  6.2 KB

• Minion

This is a difficult thread, as we have some of the same people posting here so positively, yet a few threads down in the ECV Abuse thread, they are very negative about people they don't know, only seen by other strangers, and are making the same style of assumptions.

I am sorry the person judged you. It wasn't right. And it isn't right that others also judge people on only what is visible. If there is a faker, karma will catch up. It isn't my business. I've been judged, I've seen my son judged, I've seen people on here judging without any true knowledge. Can't we all just enjoy our time at the park without spending precious time judging something that isn't any of our business, like the man did in this case?
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• former CM

When I worked at Disneyland we were warned about that 1 out of 100 guests who was having a bad day and we were encouraged to change him, but this jerk may have been in that special 1 in 10,000 category. I was just thinking about Tom Hanks (who will reportedly be Walt at Disneyland this week), who is known to be a nice guy. Imagine being in his shoes and having almost everyone act like they know you, even the biggest, loudest jerks in every American city. In an interview, he too said that 99 out of 100 people he meets are wonderful and 1% are awful. Sorry you encountered that guy. I once briefly (thankfully, briefly) worked for him, but he was a woman in that case.

I'm so sorry that this happened to you. It happens to me a lot, but I've sadly gotten used to that.

I normally ignore the mean people, but a few years ago, one guy really got to me. I think he said that I was using my weight as a disability and that I should jump on a treadmill instead of cut lines. So I walked right up to him and showed him the picture I had on my phone of my hip surgery (my surgeon gave me the pictures that were taken from inside of my body). He stayed quiet after that.

Looking back, I probably shouldn't have done that, but when someone really gets to you, they get to you.

If only people saw me on my bad days, like today. I walked a 5K for charity, but now I can't really move my legs. I'm just killing time for the painkillers to kick in and the swelling to go down in my hip.

• Minion

I'm really surprised that after the experience you had, you still made a crack about things "getting out of hand" with wheelchairs and scooters. The person who made comments about you probably felt that things are "getting out of hand" with GAC's. If he's wrong about that, doesn't it make you feel like maybe you're wrong about wheelchairs?

• Greetings, Program!

Bullying itself is horrible enough, but bullying at Disneyland? Just the thought of it boils my blood.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    This is a difficult thread, as we have some of the same people posting here so positively, yet a few threads down in the ECV Abuse thread, they are very negative about people they don't know, only seen by other strangers, and are making the same style of assumptions.
    I noticed this, too. Even the OP says he thinks wheelchairs are "getting out of hand." I can't help but wonder why people with invisible disabilities deserve more of the benefit of the doubt and accommodation than people using wheelchairs.

You know I am going to be the bad guy and say I don't think this guy needed to be kicked out of the park for his obviuos frustrations but it's sad that DL didn't at least address him personally to let him know that not everyone who is handicapped needs a wheel chair and to have a little compassion for some of these people w ho truly are not faking it. I think he just needed a little bit of education. You would be amazed at how many people feel like he did but just didn't express it, and I am sure if given the chance to understand the entire situation may think differently.

I feel for you as that has to be very aggravating as well as frustrating, I can only imagine you have to try not to take it personally and know that this guy was just lacking the ability to understand your situation.
    Last edited by dictionary; 11-05-2012 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Grammar

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast