Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• AKA - DisneyChris

Pooh for President

With the upcoming election coming, I posted the following bit of trivia (or as I call it a "Mouse-ka-fact") on my own website, but thought I would share it here as well, because it is related to Disneyland, and may fill in some people on a little known and interesting fact about the park...

A Mousekafact ---
    Who was the only Disney character ever to run for president of the United States? Why, Winnie the Pooh naturally, who actually ran for America's highest office not once, but three times from his campaign headquarters inside the Happiest Place on Earth. In 1968 a live show was staged at the Tomorrowland theater called, Show Me America, during which a musical segment highlighted the upcoming presidential election, with Pooh tossing his hat into the campaign ring. This popular feature from the Show Me America production was expanded even further during the next national election with a large scale ticker-tape parade held on Main Street USA, and an all-new live show staged under the direction of campaign manager Eeyore and press secretary Tigger. Pooh Bear's catchy new campaign slogan became "Vote for Pooh in '72." He ran again in 1976, and his new campaign slogan was "Winnie's a Honey of a Candidate." This time, in addition to park events at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World, a promotional campaign was launched through Sears department stores, offering special Pooh for President merchandise alongside their Winnie the Pooh children's line of clothing. One of the items offered in stores was a recorded album entitled Winnie the Pooh for President. This read-along story album and coloring book also contained a song dedicated to the Pooh presidential campaign written and performed by singer-songwriter Larry Groce, which would open the door to his involvement in many future projects with Disneyland Records. This album would also mark the final Winnie the Pooh performance by Sterling Holloway, who was the bear's original voice. Had Pooh actually won the election he would have fit in quite nicely with the other politicians in Washington, after all, he is stuffed with fluff and is a bear of very little brain.

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

• Nic

Re: Pooh for President

If only.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Caught this on the Disney Parks Blog. So funny.
    Learn How To Lose Weight While Still Eating All Your Favorite Disney Foods! --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

• AKA - DisneyChris

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    If only.
    What blog are you talking about specifically? Because I wrote this myself. I did not give my consent for someone to post it on another blog other than my own website. If they had asked, and given me credit for writing it, I would have said yes.

An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

• formerly very helpful

Problem. Being a character from British literature, Pooh wasn't born in the U.S. I guess in retrospect it's a good thing he didn't win.

Also, I'd hate to see how the office would have corrupted him. Can you imagine Pooh giving the order to send troops overseas, or authorize an assasination?

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Emelius View Post
    What blog are you talking about specifically? Because I wrote this myself. I did not give my consent for someone to post it on another blog other than my own website. If they had asked, and given me credit for writing it, I would have said yes.
    What?
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Problem. Being a character from British literature, Pooh wasn't born in the U.S. I guess in retrospect it's a good thing he didn't win.

Also, I'd hate to see how the office would have corrupted him. Can you imagine Pooh giving the order to send troops overseas, or authorize an assasination?
    sbk, are you a "birther"? LOL

I wish I had the photoshop skills of some of my fellow micechatters .... Pooh being "presidential" as described above would be hilarious!
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Honey for everyone! :P
    For the love of Disney....

• Orange County

Got married at the Disneyland Resort in 2007!

I think he is talking about:
    Vintage Walt Disney World: Pooh

•   

Oh bother.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

• AKA - DisneyChris

Quote Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
    I think he is talking about:
    Vintage Walt Disney World: Pooh
    Oh - lol - I thought he meant that my exact words were placed on a blog - nevermind. LOL

---------- Post added 11-04-2012 at 07:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    What?
    Sorry Cheshire, I quoted the wrong person.

---------- Post added 11-04-2012 at 07:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post

Well - technically, Pooh is a "Teddy Bear" and they are very much an American invention, named after President Theodore Roosevelt (hey - another presidential connection!!!) So Pooh must have immigrated to Britten, but his roots are very much American. I wonder what Donald Trump would have to say about this?

• formerly very helpful

You silly person, GiantPanda! No, just making an observation. Of course, Pooh has no British accent, so he may very well have been born (manufactured) in America.

• My Children's Father

Remember, Pandas are bears too! So "Silly old bear" would fit ....But for some reason I always thought Pooh was Canadian ...
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Well - technically, Pooh is a "Teddy Bear" and they are very much an American invention.....
    You are correct that Teddy Bears are American and named after Theodore Roosevelt. However, Teddy Bears are typically named Teddy by their American owners and Pooh Bears are typically named Pooh by their British owners. Hence forth Pooh is British. He came to the US in 1961 on a work visa provided by Disney but has never applied for citizenship and is not a naturalized citizen of the United States.

BTW, Prof. Emelius, interesting read, thanks for sharing... PS I really have no idea about Pooh citizenship.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• AKA - DisneyChris

Don't forget to vote today my American friends... if you haven't already - and please, as much as you would like to, don't write-in Pooh.... lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast