View Poll Results: Either/or?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • The current Tomorrowland, even if it is unpopular!

    69 86.25%
  • Star Wars Land, I don't care what purists think!

    11 13.75%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 57
  1. #31

    • Down Pluto!
    • Online

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Altered State
    Posts
    4,237

    Re: Either/Or: The current Tomorrowland or TL removed & replaced by Star Wars Land?

    Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    Star Wars has always been timeless, whereas Tomorrowland is quite dated.
    Star Wars isn't that timeless. Sure, they keep adding new characters and sub plots, but is the same old thing. Good vs Evil, Empire vs Rebellion, Sith vs Jedi. The "Force"... Even with new additions - it is getting old. Old and outdated as Tomorrowland. Still, Star Wars is a fantasy in no way related to what life here on earth may be in our future. Star Wars unequals Tomorrowland. Failure in definition.

    However... Tomorrowland is indeed quite dated. It has undergone several additions and makeovers to keep it close to "tomorrow", but tomorrow is an ever moving target. That Disney hasn't given any real attention to what the "tomorrow" of our actual human existence might be and used it's vast resources to apply that to this land, isn't the fault of the land - it is the fault of a a severe lack of imagination and will on the part of Disney. That is the real crime here...







    I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

  2. #32

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    1,562 Miles East of DisneyLand
    Posts
    753

    Re: Either/Or: The current Tomorrowland or TL removed & replaced by Star Wars Land?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Star Wars isn't that timeless. Sure, they keep adding new characters and sub plots, but is the same old thing. Good vs Evil, Empire vs Rebellion, Sith vs Jedi. The "Force"... Even with new additions - it is getting old. Old and outdated as Tomorrowland. Still, Star Wars is a fantasy in no way related to what life here on earth may be in our future. Star Wars unequals Tomorrowland. Failure in definition.

    However... Tomorrowland is indeed quite dated. It has undergone several additions and makeovers to keep it close to "tomorrow", but tomorrow is an ever moving target. That Disney hasn't given any real attention to what the "tomorrow" of our actual human existence might be and used it's vast resources to apply that to this land, isn't the fault of the land - it is the fault of a a severe lack of imagination and will on the part of Disney. That is the real crime here...
    Sad but true...





    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney


  3. #33

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    384

    Re: Either/Or: The current Tomorrowland or TL removed & replaced by Star Wars Land?

    Disneyland is not an antique museum. Build Star Wars Land!

  4. #34

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    232

    Re: Either/Or: The current Tomorrowland or TL removed & replaced by Star Wars Land?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Tomorrowland is indeed quite dated. It has undergone several additions and makeovers to keep it close to "tomorrow", but tomorrow is an ever moving target. That Disney hasn't given any real attention to what the "tomorrow" of our actual human existence might be and used it's vast resources to apply that to this land, isn't the fault of the land - it is the fault of a a severe lack of imagination and will on the part of Disney. That is the real crime here...
    Ain't that the truth!

    I've been going to DL since the mid-1970s and Tomorrowland has never seemed very futuristic to me. It always seemed like a retro-futuristic land (if you know what I mean).

  5. #35

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mission Viejo
    Posts
    1,160

    Re: Either/Or: The current Tomorrowland or TL removed & replaced by Star Wars Land?

    Quote Originally Posted by mainejeff View Post
    Disneyland is not an antique museum. Build Star Wars Land!
    Yet the same people who decry the thought of refocusing on past attractions that, at least had some originality in Tomorrowland and were not linked to a movie (but rather fell more under the character of edutainment), will stand in support of taking a nearly 40 year old movie and building a land dedicated to it.

    I loved Star Wars when it came out. But I tired of it....long ago.

    You want to talk antique...Star Wars has that written all over it. Not to mention the 25 year old attraction in Tomorrowland that goes along with it.

    It seems the 4.5 billion they payed to Lucas could have gone a long way in actually bringing some Disney created imagination back into the fold. Rather than once again having to depend on other franchises and studio properties/directors to keep things "alive" at the park... as they started resorting to in the 80s.

    As one of those "purists" who always found something different and unique about Disney, I'm beginning to find it losing that "something" it once had. Or I should say, I've seen it for a long time. But now it's starting to impact my desire to go there. Sad. I was able to look the other way for a long time, but not so much anymore.

    My opinion.

  6. #36

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    211

    Re: Either/Or: The current Tomorrowland or TL removed & replaced by Star Wars Land?

    Somehow, I don't think the results were what the original poster had in mind when he made the poll.

  7. #37

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    232

    Re: Either/Or: The current Tomorrowland or TL removed & replaced by Star Wars Land?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krack View Post
    Somehow, I don't think the results were what the original poster had in mind when he made the poll.
    Actually, I didn't have any results in mind when I made the poll (hence having a poll). What I did have in mind was a lively, fun debate...and that is what I got.

    Cheers.

  8. #38

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: Either/Or: The current Tomorrowland or TL removed & replaced by Star Wars Land?

    Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    It seems the 4.5 billion they payed to Lucas could have gone a long way in actually bringing some Disney created imagination back into the fold. Rather than once again having to depend on other franchises and studio properties/directors to keep things "alive" at the park... as they started resorting to in the 80s.
    Bingo. But even given the money, they wouldn't do it: being innovative requires the one thing that the management of Disneyland hasn't had for a quarter century, namely, the desire to be innovative. Disney has perfected the easy, low-risk approach to big bucks: buy innovative properties that someone else developed and made popular, slap Mouse Ears on them, and sell 'em as "Disney" -- knowing that most of their customers won't know the difference, and the rest won't care.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 11-05-2012 at 11:14 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  9. #39

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Either/Or: The current Tomorrowland or TL removed & replaced by Star Wars Land?

    Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    I loved Star Wars when it came out. But I tired of it....long ago.
    Star Wars is a children's story. The mistake is thinking it is for adults. Every new generation loves the story. They watch it over and over again and then get tired of it. There are a few exceptions. I know people who are never tired of such things. They go to Comic Con. They will also go to Disneyland if Disney gives them a reason.


    As one of those "purists" who always found something different and unique about Disney, I'm beginning to find it losing that "something" it once had. Or I should say, I've seen it for a long time. But now it's starting to impact my desire to go there.
    I'm sure you will change your mind once it is there. LOL!!! It is a mistake to think your disappointment translates at all into disaffection with Disneyland by the general public. You win some, you lose some. Disney will win many new customers.

    Star Wars is a BIG DEAL.

    Besides, Tomorrowland is a "problem" land. It has no focus. With Star Wars and Marvel, I predict the problems will finally be resolved. There is no such pretense of the predictive future world will be. It will be pure fantasy sci-fi land.

  10. #40

    • " Planet of Puddingheads"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the TARDIS
    Posts
    2,056

    Re: Either/Or: The current Tomorrowland or TL removed & replaced by Star Wars Land?

    Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    Yet the same people who decry the thought of refocusing on past attractions that, at least had some originality in Tomorrowland and were not linked to a movie (but rather fell more under the character of edutainment), will stand in support of taking a nearly 40 year old movie and building a land dedicated to it.

    I loved Star Wars when it came out. But I tired of it....long ago.

    You want to talk antique...Star Wars has that written all over it. Not to mention the 25 year old attraction in Tomorrowland that goes along with it.

    It seems the 4.5 billion they payed to Lucas could have gone a long way in actually bringing some Disney created imagination back into the fold. Rather than once again having to depend on other franchises and studio properties/directors to keep things "alive" at the park... as they started resorting to in the 80s.

    As one of those "purists" who always found something different and unique about Disney, I'm beginning to find it losing that "something" it once had. Or I should say, I've seen it for a long time. But now it's starting to impact my desire to go there. Sad. I was able to look the other way for a long time, but not so much anymore.

    My opinion.
    Great viewpoints. I loved Star Wars and the two sequels back in the day because they were unique. They are not anymore due to the advances in special effects these days and every action and scifi movie now has those effects. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread about something being dated, I find that the Star Wars movies have become just that, dated.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

  11. #41

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mission Viejo
    Posts
    1,160

    Re: Either/Or: The current Tomorrowland or TL removed & replaced by Star Wars Land?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Bingo. But even given the money, they wouldn't do it: being innovative requires the one thing that the management of Disneyland hasn't had for a quarter century, namely, the desire to be innovative. Disney has perfected the easy, low-risk approach to big bucks: buy innovative properties that someone else developed and made popular, slap Mouse Ears on them, and sell 'em as "Disney" -- knowing that most of their customers won't know the difference, and the rest won't care.
    I do fear you're right, Mr. Wiggins. Unfortunately for me, being the purist that I am, slapping Mouse Ears on it doesn't make it Disney. Some can look beyond it and see it as Disney; I really can't. I think that has to do with the fact that I saw the park at some of its peak moments of style and innovation. Style and innovation that made it unique and special.
    Now it's becoming a conglomerate of different properties from different studios and different directors from those studios.
    The fact that Disney bought them doesn't make them Disney though, IMO.

    ---------- Post added 11-07-2012 at 09:32 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Great viewpoints. I loved Star Wars and the two sequels back in the day because they were unique. They are not anymore due to the advances in special effects these days and every action and scifi movie now has those effects. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread about something being dated, I find that the Star Wars movies have become just that, dated.
    I agree, Mike. And I know there are some who will say that the classics such as Pinocchio, et. al. are dinosaurs too when you look at the bigger picture of progress in animated features.
    I guess though that I can still appreciate them because they are Disney originals (the movies anyway) and attractions were built to represent Walt's take on these fairy tales. Yes, historically those fairy tales originated before Walt, but Walt made them his own, and that's what you see in the park. They are instantly recognizable.

    Star Wars was already an icon unto itself...long before Lucas and Disney joined forces. It was well-established as another studio's property.

    ---------- Post added 11-07-2012 at 09:38 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Star Wars is a children's story. The mistake is thinking it is for adults. Every new generation loves the story. They watch it over and over again and then get tired of it. There are a few exceptions. I know people who are never tired of such things. They go to Comic Con. They will also go to Disneyland if Disney gives them a reason.


    I'm sure you will change your mind once it is there. LOL!!! It is a mistake to think your disappointment translates at all into disaffection with Disneyland by the general public. You win some, you lose some. Disney will win many new customers.

    Star Wars is a BIG DEAL.

    Besides, Tomorrowland is a "problem" land. It has no focus. With Star Wars and Marvel, I predict the problems will finally be resolved. There is no such pretense of the predictive future world will be. It will be pure fantasy sci-fi land.
    I certainly understand this point of view. Disney will not face survival or demise based solely on my opinions.

    And I do understand that most guests don't share the same purist sensibilities that I possess. While I would love to see Disney survive and flourish on the same merits that made it unique unto itself, I realize those days are pretty much over. It's all about what others have created and, as Mr. Wiggins stated, slapping some Mouse Ears on those outside properties and making them Disney. Even though they're not.

    As succeeding generations come and go, we'll move farther away from the original aspect of what Disneyland was. And society will accept whatever is there, while those of us who saw just how innovative and great it was in its original form will think back fondly on those days.
    Last edited by CASurfer65; 11-07-2012 at 09:40 PM.

  12. #42

    • Nutty about Disney parks
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,693

    Re: Either/Or: The current Tomorrowland or TL removed & replaced by Star Wars Land?

    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I don't want to see it at Hollywood Studios. That park is supposed to be about the business of making movies and the processes involved. Converting a section of it to a Star Wars land has nothing to do with that.
    The original theme of DHS is dying out, at least that is what many would say. I would like to see DHS keep some of that movie making aspect but it's hard to hold onto that concept when you're not really an actual working studio anymore. Plus it never really made sense for me that the park had Star Tours to begin with is movie making was the original theme of the park. I say let DHS do what it needs to do to keep itself from falling apart. It's working well for Universal Orlando.

  13. #43

    •   
    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    752

    Re: Either/Or: The current Tomorrowland or TL removed & replaced by Star Wars Land?

    Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    Unfortunately for me, being the purist that I am, slapping Mouse Ears on it doesn't make it Disney.
    I'm mostly of this mindset as well. You can't just slap ears on it and call it a day. ....however, Star Tours has been in there a while and I remember opening day back in '86. No one said "Oh, this was shoehorned in here!" they said "This is completely AWESOME!" In that regards, I think a little Star Wars, in small doses, can fit.

    Heh, besides, Disney has already literally slapped mouse ears on plenty of Star Wars stuff and called it Disney. R2-D2 mouse ears hat, anyone?

    My point, if any, is that it's okay in small doses. A Star Wars ride here and there, that's it. If someone's jonsin' for a full on Star Wars park then go build it somewhere else but Tomorroland needs to be about more than just one IPO.

    Personally I'd love to see a mix of attractions based on Walt's traditional admiration for progress as well as science fiction type things like Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear and Star Wars. I just don't see the problem. If someone does see a problem then just compare what we have now with what we got when Tomorrowland was redone back in 96/97. Blech.

  14. #44

    • Starchitect
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    2

    Re: Either/Or: The current Tomorrowland or TL removed & replaced by Star Wars Land?

    Quote Originally Posted by j11 View Post
    even though it is my least liked land now, i vote for the current tomorrowland because i'm against huge franchises having such a huge presence in DLR. and i still believe tomorrowland can be "saved". i think a land for star wars, everything marvel, and the rumored avatar deserve to be on a third park.
    Great minds think alike! I posted my thoughts for a third gate a couple of days ago.
    And I agree, I think Imagineers could revive the original concept for Tomorrowland if they were not saddled with the need to shoehorn other concepts in. And just for the record, I never thought that Star Tours fit the theme, though I liked the ride.

  15. #45

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Either/Or: The current Tomorrowland or TL removed & replaced by Star Wars Land?

    i still believe tomorrowland can be "saved"
    From doing the same thing for decades, it will be yet "saved" again and it needs saving again in another 20 years. Tomorrowland is dead as a concept. It never worked. Only the name will remain. They need a solution to resolve the theming and concept. Star Wars and Marvel will finally resolve it. I know this doesn't satisfy the purist, but this is the way it works.

    Perhaps there is a way out. How about another Mountain or Adventure E-Ticket ride where Autopia sits. Adding another marque attraction will prevent the further decline of Tomorrowland. It will fill out the space completely and ensures the longevity. Maybe they need to develop such an attraction, but I can see Star Wars as the quick solution since the movies has already provides the artwork and plot points.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-24-2005, 06:44 PM
  2. I made the PERFECT Tomorrowland roster
    By Kevie in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-18-2005, 04:03 PM
  3. What is the Best Tomorrowland Roster?
    By DL_CRAZE in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-20-2005, 11:44 AM
  4. What are the current in-park AP discounts?
    By Booth in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-28-2005, 06:05 PM
  5. Great Link to the current menus at the DLR
    By Darkbeer in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 07:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •