View Poll Results: Either/or?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • The current Tomorrowland, even if it is unpopular!

69 86.25%
  • Star Wars Land, I don't care what purists think!

11 13.75%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• a wind to shake the stars

Re: Either/Or: The current Tomorrowland or TL removed & replaced by Star Wars Land?

I don't think there will ever be new "original" rides that aren't based on existing franchises. It's not a matter of Disney lacking the will or talent, it's just a fundamental shift in the business model of the entertainment industry since the 50s.

The idea now is "synergy," in other words why spend money advertising a movie when you can spend the same money to advertise a movie and a video game and a theme park ride simultaneously? Cars Land was Cars 2, Iron Man is going to match Avengers 2, and so on. It even works in reverse, rides that were just rides for years became movies (Pirates, Haunted Mansion).

Personally, y'know, it's not my preference, many of my favorite Disneyland rides aren't tied to a franchise at all, but there are a lot of them that are directly based on movies and they're great as well.

Re: Either/Or: The current Tomorrowland or TL removed & replaced by Star Wars Land?

That is not much of a choice since the current asthetic of the current TL is terrible. Really, who knew the future was a mismatched dump with a mexican flea market and beat-up churro stand in the middle?

That said, I still think that tomorrowland should be revitalized using a starwars/tron-type asthetic, but not a whole Star Wars Land. However, Star Wars does need a greater presence in TL now, even if it is only a new and enhanced venue for the Jedi Traning Academy.

Quote Originally Posted by SteedLaw View Post
    That is not much of a choice since the current asthetic of the current TL is terrible. Really, who knew the future was a mismatched dump with a mexican flea market and beat-up churro stand in the middle?

That said, I still think that tomorrowland should be revitalized using a starwars/tron-type asthetic, but not a whole Star Wars Land. However, Star Wars does need a greater presence in TL now, even if it is only a new and enhanced venue for the Jedi Traning Academy.
    I don't see the Mexican Flea Market? I've been going to DLR for a long time, and the only Mexican theming I've seen is in Frontier Land.

Tomorrowland will need a complete revamp, but it will have to be done in steps:

Destroy Innoventions. The building is no longer useful.
    Destroy Nemo, and if necessary, half of Autopia. Autopia is huge, and both queues are obscene. Keep a water-based ride based on (gasp) the future and ocean sciences. Autopia is not the future... I'd like to get rid of it, but the customers like it. Make it electric, at least.
    Replace the Peoplemover track with a purely aesthetic design. The future will include art and architecture.
    Move Buzz to DCA.

This means creating more attractions, and if I could think up those on short notice... I'd be an imagineer, lol.
    Everything else is fine, even though it's not much. I avoid Tommorowland quite a bit, excepting Star Tours and Space Mountain.

It's not a place to hang out, as it were. I enjoyed hanging out there before the 1998 remodel.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    The original theme of DHS is dying out, at least that is what many would say.
    Itís only dying out because Disney is using the park as a repository for attractions that donít really fit anywhere else rather than coming up with attractions that actually fit the theme of the park.

I would like to see DHS keep some of that movie making aspect but it's hard to hold onto that concept when you're not really an actual working studio anymore. Plus it never really made sense for me that the park had Star Tours to begin with is movie making was the original theme of the park.
    It didnít really fit. They tried to make it work by premising that you were walking onto a movie set, but that never really worked right.

I say let DHS do what it needs to do to keep itself from falling apart. It's working well for Universal Orlando.
    Disney needs to wake up and realize that to be a great company and provide a theme park experience that is again at the gold standard level it should not follow someone elseís model, but rather set the bar themselves and let everyone else follow their model.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamite goat View Post
    Move Buzz to DCA.
    I didnít realize that Star Command was located in CA.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   

Star Command? I think he means Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters in Tomorrowland.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

• Minion

I'd prefer a Tomorrowland with a more coherent "Sci-Fi" theme over a full Star Wars makeover. Dump the Nemo theme on the subs, make Buzz Lightyear about the actual Space Ranger instead of a toy (or alternatively, a Hero's Duty attraction), bring in elements of Meet the Robinsons and Tron.

---------- Post added 11-09-2012 at 07:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    Iron Man is going to match Avengers 2
    And Guardians of the Galaxy if recent rumors of Iron Man showing up in there to get more butts in seats "Put Wolverine in Every Comic"-style are true.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• -

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    Star Command? I think he means Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters in Tomorrowland.
    I know exactly what he meant, but the Buzz Lightyear ride has nothing to do with CA aside from having a character created by a company that happens to be located in CA.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Down Pluto!

Just like Monstropolis is located in California...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Boogers are salty

I know Walt said Disneyland would never be finished but he also said it was my land and I say add all the lands you want, do what you want to DisneyWorld, but leave the original lands at Disneyland where they are. It's one of those things you can't replace or replicate, if you've been to the DisneyWorld you know its not the same thing!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Just like Monstropolis is located in California...
    Exactly. Why clutter it up with more crap that doesn't belong? They just spent $1 billion to clean it up.

I was thinking of the odd relationship that Buzz Lightyear might have with a place like Tommorowland. I've never felt it really fit. Midway Mania, IMO, works in DCA, but AstroBlasters in Tommorowland? It just doesn't work for me.

If you think it's good there, then good. It just doesn't fit to me. Tommorowland should be about Outer Space, Inner Space, and the Sea. Space Tourism, and going from space station to space station, and the exploration of the seas and the genaral future... again, to me... is what -Tomorrow-land should be.

Ah!
    I'm also trying to remember what the "Mexican Flea Market," thing was? I've been to Mexico few times, and I still don't see anything that Tommorowland has done that is similar (even though I've never seen what would be properly called a "flea market" there, either).
    Last edited by dynamite goat; 11-10-2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: forgot something

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Disney needs to wake up and realize that to be a great company and provide a theme park experience that is again at the gold standard level it should not follow someone else’s model, but rather set the bar themselves and let everyone else follow their model.
    This x100.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234