Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Minion

Re: What's your opinion on Disney rides/lands themed to movie franchises?

Same as most other things - they can be great in the right dose, but it's easy to go overboard with it.

Great discussion guys! Thanks for all your input! It's interesting to see everyone's own thoughts.

---------- Post added 11-08-2012 at 10:53 AM ----------

I guess I should have clarified. I'm talking more about the outside franchises that Disney bought and are trying to incorporate. Iron Man, unlike Peter Pan, Alice, and Snow White, isn't and will never be considered a "Disney film" even though Disney know owns Marvel. I guess that's the difference that bother's me.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wsiirola View Post
    I'm talking more about the outside franchises that Disney bought and are trying to incorporate. Iron Man, unlike Peter Pan, Alice, and Snow White, isn't and will never be considered a "Disney film" even though Disney know owns Marvel. I guess that's the difference that bother's me.
    Exactly right. All this acquisition-and-marketing makes Disney look less like the creative innovator that it once was, and more like the Wall Street mega-corporation that it has become. Disney is well on its way to swapping its heritage of beloved purveyor of magic for notoriety as the world's most expensive Big Box Store of brands, brands, and more brands.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

I'm okay with character tie-ins, but I'd prefer for them to be better thought out when applied so that they mesh into the settings better. Tomorrowland's the biggest area suffering from this on both coasts: The Pixar stuff that isn't related to Buzz Lightyear is generally thrown in like Tomorrowland is Hufflepuff or something and even Buzz Lightyear muddles the Tomorrowland narrative by being about the toy rather then the actual space ranger as depicted in the early 2000s-era television series. Similarly, Stitch's Great Escape in Florida is a bad choice both from it being a prequel and thus set in 2002 and it just being a terrible attraction.

They had such a good campaign book for 90s Tomorrowland, but then Marketing decided to play Dungeonmaster.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by mine,mine,mine View Post
    Don't forget sleeping Beauty's Castle. Walt built it to promote the new movie coming out. Imagine if Walt built the park without the beloved landmark castle...

I know not a ride, but you get the idea...
    I thought the castle was just a castle when it was first built. It didn't carry the Sleeping Beauty name until a few years later when the movie was near coming out.

But anyway what I like about the Disney Parks having original rides is that you're experiencing new Disney stories. I think it's become far more appreciated now as we live in an era consumed by sequelization and franchising. Good original concepts and movies are getting far and few inbetween.

But I don't mind the inclusion of Disney characters as long as they are done to quality and can adapt well to the theme(s) of the park they are in. Both Disney Animal Kingdom and Tokyo Disneysea seem to provide the perfect balance of originality with Disney characters.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

I think what Walt wanted to do with the park is make people feel like they were living a unique movie of their own imagination by giving them environments to make-believe in - Turn of the century main street, the old west, a european fantasy village, the space age future. Re-hashing movies that already exist wouldn't leave enough up to the guest to be creative with, so Walt did this somewhat spareingly in the parks.

If he was only interested in films he would have just kept making films - Disneyland for him was another art form all together that one could experiance, touch, taste and feel. He wanted to take people places with his created environments just like he could take you somewhere in a movie. He was a true artistic genious and was interested in creating in the medium of 3D reality in addtion to his film projects.

Please don't look at Disney films and Disneyland as a cause and effect sort of thing as everyone seems to be doing, think of them more like creative parallels. I'm always so astounded that more people don't see that...
    Last edited by Gwenchanter; 11-09-2012 at 12:46 AM.

•   
    • Banned User

Reading this thread just leaves my head spinning. All input is good but I'm getting kind of weary of "Should they do this?" and "should they do that?"

With three new major IPOs ( Avatar, Marvel and now Star Wars ) not to mention this talk of Hasbro on the way, why don't they just run off and build a new park called Random License Land?

All sarcasm aside, the reason why incorporating all of this into any park, new or old, could be a bad idea is obvious. These are licenses they can buy and someday may have to sell. Why base a bunch of rides on it? Look at Islands of Adventure, now with all these Marvel rides they don't own the license to. ( And before anyone can chime in, yes, I know their agreement for the use of these licenses is more complicated than my blanket statement, I'm just trying to be brief. )

To bring that point closer to home, I loved that the Muppets were in DCA, then was a little miffed when I heard the license was sold and they'd have to remove the attraction in a couple of years. Then later I heard they got the license back and how happy I was they could stay. The lesson I learned was how precarious it is to have something in your park that someone else has a hand in.

I do not mind rides being themed occasionally to movie franchises. But LANDS...yes.

(Even though I do think they could pull off a superhero themed land in DCA quite easily.)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    To bring that point closer to home, I loved that the Muppets were in DCA, then was a little miffed when I heard the license was sold and they'd have to remove the attraction in a couple of years. Then later I heard they got the license back and how happy I was they could stay. The lesson I learned was how precarious it is to have something in your park that someone else has a hand in.
    It's not that precarious. It is actually low risk. Muppets was once owned by Jim Henson. It is now with Disney. Went Full Circle. Same situation with Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Pixar.

Universal should be scared about Spiderman, but I'm not so sure. You can be sure that Universal will have Spiderman in perpetuity. Universal is likely to keep using Harry Potter forever.

Whether it be California Screamin', Star Tours, or Thunder Mountain, it's really a toss-up to me to how much I care about movie tie-ins. I enjoy all of them, and if they fit the general theming of area, and give me the sense of immersion that I really go to Disneyland/DCA for, then... all the better.

The idea that the Disney Corporation isn't into its work for a profit would seem counter-productive to me. I remember Disneyland in the late 80s and early 90s, and it seemed like they could barely afford the plywood Gummi Bears in Fantasyland. It was sad.

•   
    • Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    It's not that precarious. It is actually low risk. Muppets was once owned by Jim Henson. It is now with Disney. Went Full Circle.
    The way I understand it, it was Henson, then Disney, then some German company, now back to Disney. Correct me if you know different. I get your point but mine was that it's a tradable IPO.

• Minion

The way I understand it, it was Henson, then Disney, then some German company, now back to Disney. Correct me if you know different. I get your point but mine was that it's a tradable IPO.
    Disney never bought the Muppets in the 90s. Between Jim's death and Eisner being grabby and wanting the Sesame characters, it fell through.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

I want quality attractions and environments, ones that I will want to experience repeatedly. Unless it is something that I actively dislike, the source isn't really relevant. In fact, how much I like the source if it's a movie often is different for a theme park experience, in ways both positive and negative.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• Senior Minion

All sarcasm aside, the reason why incorporating all of this into any park, new or old, could be a bad idea is obvious. These are licenses they can buy and someday may have to sell. Why base a bunch of rides on it?
    Because to the brand marketers who run Disney, theme parks are just another medium for synergizing brands. As Neal Gabler wrote in the L.A. Times:

"Disney is betting that in this post-modernist entertainment culture, audiences care more about the name 'Marvel' or 'Star Wars' than about the actual movies or TV shows or video games to which those names are attached....

It used to be that the movie created the brand, which is exactly how George Lucas built his empire. Now the brand creates the movie. And it used to be that all the merchandise was ancillary to the movie. Now the movie is ancillary to the merchandise. The holy grail of Hollywood has always been trying to find a way to make movies that sell themselves without the movies necessarily having to be any good. With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm, Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

As long as the attraction tells a new story I am alright with it being film based however I would like to see at least every third new attraction be completely original.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123