Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post What's your opinion on Disney rides/lands themed to movie franchises?

It seems like all new Disney rides are themed around movies. With talks of upcoming Star Wars, Avatar, and Iron Man themed attractions, when are they going to create a new ride that isn't explicitly themed to a movie franchise (i.e. PeopleMover, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Matterhorn, Autopia, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, etc). Don't get me wrong, movie rides like Star Tours and RSR are awesome, and an Iron Man ride would be sweet, but it seems like the rides listed above are the ones that truly define Disney parks. Wouldn't building entire theme parks and lands based on movie franchises completely lose the Disney atmosphere?

Re: What's your opinion on Disney rides/lands themed to movie franchises?

Yes, it would.

Quote Originally Posted by Popcornballs View Post
    Yes, it would.
    I concour...
    For the love of Disney....

Doesn't matter.....they are here to stay. $$$$ is the most important thing for DisneyCo.

Quote Originally Posted by wsiirola View Post
    It seems like all new Disney rides are themed around movies. With talks of upcoming Star Wars, Avatar, and Iron Man themed attractions, when are they going to create a new ride that isn't explicitly themed to a movie franchise (i.e. PeopleMover, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Matterhorn, Autopia, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, etc). Don't get me wrong, movie rides like Star Tours and RSR are awesome, and an Iron Man ride would be sweet, but it seems like the rides listed above are the ones that truly define Disney parks. Wouldn't building entire theme parks and lands based on movie franchises completely lose the Disney atmosphere?
    I'm sorry, did you really just include the people mover in a list of rides that "define Disney parks" I would have thought that list would have included Peter Pan, Alice, the Teacups, Snow White's Scary Adventures, Mr Toads wild ride, and all the other Fantasyland dark rides all of which were based on Movies already in existence.

Let's face it, Walt was a genius, and a visionary, but he also understood cross-promotion. That's why he built Fantasyland. But even the other lands, and rides not based specifically on existing media were promoted by new media on The Wonderful World of Disney (Jungle Cruise in particular got a lot of air time). Each week viewers would be taken to far off lands or times in a promotion of a different Disneyland land.

I don't mind cross-promotion, but would prefer if Disney would stick to Disney, and not look outside themselves for fodder. For example, since the acquisition of Marvel, isn't it interesting that you can buy Hulk t-shirts at WDW and ride the Hulk coaster at Universal IoA?

Besides, Disney still knows how to build a ride (or even an entire park) from scratch. Animal Kingdom isn't that old and the newest thrill ride within it (Everest) isn't based on anything else!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Mr. Disney opened his park in 1955 with attractions based on his film properties such as Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo and Pinocchio paid for with revenue gained from their box office success. The merchandising he licensed & profited from them were arguably the film franchises of their day. All done with no other major animation studios as competition nor with so many other entertainment $ distractions.

Times and audiences have changed. If a film succeeds tremendously, a series is borne (witness the upcoming release of the 23rd James Bond film). Star Wars broke & created a new mold. Better here than elsewhere.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• "I Break Things"

it's swell...
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Under that tree again!

In a large sense every new ride is based on known concepts. All those listed by the OP were based on common ride concepts(Haunted Houses-HM, ideas of the time(21st centerury transit-PM, movie genres(Explorers-JC), or movies (Third Man on the Mountain-Matterhorn).

Mickey's Fun Wheel, no movie connection but the design is based on a attraction used elsewhere.

Super Star Limo, dark house ride, more popular as Monster's Inc.

Disney has a huge library of movies, why not borrow from those already developed ideas of thiers?

• formerly very helpful

I agree that I'd rather see Disney develop from their own movies, instead of using outside sources. It doesn't matter how popular the movie is. If the ride is outstanding, people will want to see it. If it isn't, then they won't, no matter how popular a movie is. Cars Land isn't popular because it's based on a movie. It's popular because it was made exceptionally well. The same can be said for attractions made that aren't based on a film. If it's done well, it will be popular. That's why such classics as POTC (before the Deppinationing of it), Haunted Mansion, SPace Mountain, Small World (before the Disneyfying of it), Big Thunder, etc. have lasted so long. They're exceptional.
    That said, I'd also like to see some balance, rather than EVERYTHING being a movie tie-in. Some of each would be nice. And a balance. Some MAJOR E-ticket/non-coaster attractions that are NOT a movie tie-in would be nice.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    ...I'd also like to see some balance, rather than EVERYTHING being a movie tie-in. Some of each would be nice....
    Bingo.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I don't care either way. A flawed attraction is going to be a flawed attraction regardless of its source material. Same goes for a great attraction.

IMO there is nothing inherently better with either type of attraction so I judge each new offering individually. As in I do not enjoy RSR any less because it is the billionth ride with a movie tie-in. Its still a great attraction regardless.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

Don't forget sleeping Beauty's Castle. Walt built it to promote the new movie coming out. Imagine if Walt built the park without the beloved landmark castle...

I know not a ride, but you get the idea...

• Nic

I prefer Disney-based rides over original rides. You can make a mine train going thru rock formations anywhere, but no other theme park in the world can create rides with Disney characters.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

sbk1234 said:
    And a balance. Some MAJOR E-ticket/non-coaster attractions that are NOT a movie tie-in would be nice.
    Yes, it would be nice. Thank you.

---------- Post added 11-05-2012 at 03:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    I prefer Disney-based rides over original rides. You can make a mine train going thru rock formations anywhere, but no other theme park in the world can create rides with Disney characters.
    So then you don't like Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder, Space Mountain, POTC, Matterhorn.
    No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    So then you don't like Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder, Space Mountain, POTC, Matterhorn.
    In Disneyland's heyday as a place that attracted kings, queens, presidents and dignitaries from around the world, the most famous attractions were not ride promotions. From the railroad and the Mark Twain to the submarines and the monorail, Disneyland's originals outnumbered the movie-based rides and outranked them in fame and popularity. That all changed with the advent of the Eisger regime, when Disneyland became all about "Turning Movies into Rides" -- a blatant copy of Universal's "Ride the Movies."
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast