Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• My Children's Father

Re: Could Star Wars Purchase help Ease Prices?

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post

Untrue - their requirement is to act in the interest of the shareholders. That doesn't always mean 'maximize profits'. Maximizing profits so you go out of business in 10months would not be seen as sound fiduciary duty. Such blanket claims confuse the situation and are not sound.
    How can "maximizing profits" cause a company to go out of business? Even if it were possible, the act of going out of business would minimize profits, wouldn't it? Yes I am arguing semantics ....

in any event, the LucasFilm aquisition will not have anything to do with ticket prices.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    How can "maximizing profits" cause a company to go out of business? Even if it were possible, the act of going out of business would minimize profits, wouldn't it? Yes I am arguing semantics .....
    Simple... Destroy your market. Alternately another example... Sell out too cheap. Selling your assets for less than they would perform over a period of time. Example 3, operate in a way very cheap so margins are high, but in an unresponsible way that were to create great liability. imagine cutting corners in a way that could lead to a massive lawsuit or public flop that would kill your market presence. Common thread... Maximizing profits 'now' in a way that actually hurts the company long term. Even tho that may maximize profits, it is not sound fiduciary duty.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• My Children's Father

Simple... Destroy your market. Alternately another example... Sell out too cheap. Selling your assets for less than they would perform over a period of time. Example 3, operate in a way very cheap so margins are high, but in an unresponsible way that were to create great liability. imagine cutting corners in a way that could lead to a massive lawsuit or public flop that would kill your market presence. Common thread... Maximizing profits 'now' in a way that actually hurts the company long term. Even tho that may maximize profits, it is not sound fiduciary duty.
    Why are you assuming that the alleged mandate to maximize profits has a temporal quality? Deliberately running an otherwise healthy company into the ground obviously results in an ultimate minimization of profits. Or are you postulating in your examples that the company leaders are acting in ignorance? It would seem to me that the willfullness of the act would serve to define the actions as malfeasance or innocent incompetence.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"

If the words "We're making too much money! Cut Prices!" come out of Bob Iger's mouth, it probably means he's having a stroke.

• SORCERER

Quote Originally Posted by Robert3377 View Post
    As much as I love Disney, I have been overwhelmed by a lot of the prices hikes at the parks. I understand that the quality service has to come out of someones pocket. Though something has come to my mind recently.

Now that Disney has purchased Lucasfilm, their incoming profit is gonna skyrocket. Besides owning THX and Industrial Light and Magic, the Star Wars franchise is really gonna bring in more from Disney (not to mention the merchandising cow that Star Wars already is). Assuming that the economics with the company don't change, Disney could possibly net in an additional $1 Billion.

Do you think there's a chance that the new merger can help with the price hikes? I'm hoping that this will help slow down the price increases that have been hitting us hard.
    Just so you know, THX has not been part of Lucas Films since 2001, so it was not included in the purchase.

Additionally, I don't think it will help relieve ticket prices as the ticket price increase was really a way to pay for cars land and future expansion. Im pretty sure Star Wars will pay for itself from merchandising and movies, Disney will be more interested in recovering that large chunk of change first before they think of reducing ticket prices unfortunatly.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Why are you assuming that the alleged mandate to maximize profits has a temporal quality?
    Not assuming - I'm actually expanding in the idea it's NOT a temporary thing and to truly represent the shareholders it often requires NOT 'maximizing' profits as claimed but to maximize RETURN by running a sound, healthy, and producing company for the duration. Not just a spark that creates a huge flash of money for one period but faulters later.

Profits are not looked at in a vacuum. And to claim that measure alone is tracked 'by law' shows a deep misunderstanding of the topic.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Banned User

Untrue - their requirement is to act in the interest of the shareholders. That doesn't always mean 'maximize profits'. Maximizing profits so you go out of business in 10months would not be seen as sound fiduciary duty. Such blanket claims confuse the situation and are not sound.
    The way the stock market works is to reward companies for maximizing profits. The stock market rewards short term profits with higher stock prices. The monitoring of profitability is constant. Every interval (quarter and yearly) is compared. Public companies often complain about the emphasis on performance. I do not see how maximizing profits will result in a company going out of business. Perhaps you have to show an example of how this is the case; however, I will say sometimes the focus on profits might be intense to the point where companies cheat (falsifying books) or think short term at the cost of long term potential, which can impact the company's viability.

Nonetheless, a company that consistently doesn't show profits will fail.

With Disney, don't you realize they are still trying to maximize profits. Their creativity is almost non-existent. They are no longer originating ideas on their own. They resorted to acquisitions like Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilms to keep up their growth. Maybe its time for Disney to take its company private so the focus on maximizing profits is lessened. A private company can decide its profit margins without outside influence.

Prices will continue to increase until a point is reached where attendance starts to decrease.

• My Children's Father

Not assuming - I'm actually expanding in the idea it's NOT a temporary thing and to truly represent the shareholders it often requires NOT 'maximizing' profits as claimed but to maximize RETURN by running a sound, healthy, and producing company for the duration. Not just a spark that creates a huge flash of money for one period but faulters later.

Profits are not looked at in a vacuum. And to claim that measure alone is tracked 'by law' shows a deep misunderstanding of the topic.
    Yes you are assuming a temporal quality to the alleged "Maximizing of profits" Read your post. "10 months" sound familiar? Obviously short term gains that end up breaking the company applies a time factor. Usul831 never said "maximize profits 'now', even if the company goes under later".

• Pilot EdForceOne

Yes you are assuming a temporal quality to the alleged "Maximizing of profits" Read your post
    I don't assume - the post is absolute. They are required to maximize profits - which is a fallacy. The idea of 'profit' is the measure which is monitored is a falsehood in itself.

Usul831 never said "maximize profits 'now', even if the company goes under later".
    The post was they are required by law to 'maximize profits' - something that is simply factually INCORRECT. Fiduciary duty is NOT tied to profit. Healthy profitability is one way to create positive influence - but is not the only way, nor is duty tied to it. Its an important distinction because it's oft misused in forums like this because of behaviors where people do put short term fiscal reporting as their end-game... instead of the actual long term health, stability, viability, and growth of the company.

Profits are something that usually paint a positive light on a company and provide it means to function and influence it's perceived value in the market - all things that look favorable when considering if a director has done their duty for the corporation. But they are not a DIRECT measure for which they are held to - which is why the claim is false and detracts from what ultimately matters.

Companies can go for years without profits (Amazon anyone???) and doing so is not basis for saying people are breaking the law - because it is not illegal. Nor are profits the only thing that drive the valuation of a corporation up. Intellectual property, assets, people... all examples of things that can drive the value of a corporation up and reflect positively on directors without even the mention of a P&L.

The original claim made is a gross exaggeration that gets worse because it tries to apply law to a specific metric.. which makes it go from 'imprecise' to just flat out wrong.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• My Children's Father

I don't assume - the post is absolute. They are required to maximize profits - which is a fallacy. The idea of 'profit' is the measure which is monitored is a falsehood in itself.

The post was they are required by law to 'maximize profits' - something that is simply factually INCORRECT. Fiduciary duty is NOT tied to profit. Healthy profitability is one way to create positive influence - but is not the only way, nor is duty tied to it. Its an important distinction because it's oft misused in forums like this because of behaviors where people do put short term fiscal reporting as their end-game... instead of the actual long term health, stability, viability, and growth of the company.

Profits are something that usually paint a positive light on a company and provide it means to function and influence it's perceived value in the market - all things that look favorable when considering if a director has done their duty for the corporation. But they are not a DIRECT measure for which they are held to - which is why the claim is false and detracts from what ultimately matters.

Companies can go for years without profits (Amazon anyone???) and doing so is not basis for saying people are breaking the law - because it is not illegal. Nor are profits the only thing that drive the valuation of a corporation up. Intellectual property, assets, people... all examples of things that can drive the value of a corporation up and reflect positively on directors without even the mention of a P&L.

The original claim made is a gross exaggeration that gets worse because it tries to apply law to a specific metric.. which makes it go from 'imprecise' to just flat out wrong.
    Why didn't you say that in the first place?

• Senior Minion

Excellent post!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Pilot EdForceOne

Why didn't you say that in the first place?
    Because I don't like having to spell it all out.. when simple examples prove the point in a much more streamlined way.

Delaware Corp Law is spread out with tons of case law. But a direct answer can be taken from California's Corporate Law. TWDC is a Delaware Corp. so this is just for example.. but Cali defines the responsibility of directors

Quote Originally Posted by Section 309(a)
    A director shall perform the duties of a director,
    including duties as a member of any committee of the board upon which
    the director may serve, in good faith, in a manner such director
    believes to be in the best interests of the corporation and its
    shareholders
    and with such care, including reasonable inquiry, as an
    ordinarily prudent person in a like position would use under similar
    circumstances.
    The best interests of the corporation and it's shareholders.. that's the standard, not profits. Profits are one of many interests of the corporation but they are not absolute, nor are they supreme.

TWDC is a delaware corporation.. the Cali law is just used as a example.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• My Children's Father

You should have quit while you were ahead.

Would you agree that part of a corporate officer's "fiduciary responsibility" includes maximizing profits over the long haul?

• Pilot EdForceOne

Would you agree that part of a corporate officer's "fiduciary responsibility" includes maximizing profits over the long haul?
    Depends on the stage the company is in and what they are trying to do with the company. It's not a universal thing. What is universal is what RETURN the shareholders are getting over the long haul. Profits in the company do not equal return for the shareholders. They often overlap, but they are not equals.

Less we also not forget.. not all corporations are setup to drive quarterly or yearly earnings. There are corporations setup for non-profit, preservation, and other uses. For these types of corporations, performance is not measured by profits, but by other values.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12