Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Re: Disneyland As Therapy

I wish. After last night's results... I don't think even Disneyland can cheer me up. And that is saying A LOT.

• Elven Queen of Caffeine

Disneyland is my favorite therapy. Just being there makes me happier - its my favorite escape. I don't like the crowds though, so when its busy enough that they make me go counter-clockwise around the hub to get to NOS...thats a little much. But I don't have to actually experience any attractions to feel better. Just the smells on Main Street do it for me.

A trip to the Park has always been a great night out with my wife. We also feel very strongly that it has helped our twin autistic daughters in their development. They have practically grown up at the Parks. It has helped them feel more comfortable around crowds and increased their willingness to interact with people. They've learned to take risks by trying new attractions, meeting new characters and have even recently overcome their fears and enjoy the firework shows(can't wait for them to see the snow on Main St.). After trips to the resort they are more aware of others and less in their "own" world which helps them at school and therapy. If you see twin little girls at the park wearing pink ear phones(helps reduce the noise level for them) stop and say hello and share in their joy!

• Minion

I tend to be very fair weather with visits to Disneyland. I don't like to visit Disneyland when there's things going on. It wouldn't cheer me up or offer a diversion from my problems. My take is that whatever is a problem will not last long, and that I can work or solve it. Then perhaps as a reward or celebration then I can visit Disneyland. I did try going to Disneyland once when I was experiencing a medical problem and it just didn't work out.

• Vidia's Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    I wish. After last night's results... I don't think even Disneyland can cheer me up. And that is saying A LOT.
    After last nights results I'll probably make a trip there to celebrate. Though I wish the death penalty would have been struck down. :-P

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Through those tunnels...there is a far better chance of finding happiness than any other place on earth.

Having said that, however, to find happiness...you must understand how important it is to you and you must be actively searching for it.

If your mind is filled with other thoughts...you need to clear it out...and put in happy thoughts. Peter Pan put it this way... "Think of the happiest things, it's the same as having wings!"

The older I grow the more important happiness has become to me...so I have been studying the things that make me happy. I actually have a notebook filled with happy thoughts, sayings, songs, and ideas...I have prepared a well thought out list of the things that make me happy. It is strange, but true, that many of those things can be found inside the berm at Disneyland.

But...you must choose to be happy. You must understand the benefits of being happy in spite of the things going on around you. Take this election...lots of folks put their heart and soul into it...and, for many, the results hurt...and they hurt bad. Do not dwell on those feelings...they will do you no good. Instead think "there's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

Walt Disney knew the increasing importance of happiness in all our lives...that's why he gathered the smells of freshly popped popcorn and cinnamon rolls freshly baked, big ol' ice cream cones, the happiest uplifting music you've ever heard, beautiful gardens, wonderful memories, adventure, fun, giggles, beauty, and beloved characters we have known and loved all our lives and put them in "the happiest place on earth". People come here to laugh, and learn, and play...together. On opening day Walt said he built the place "in the hope that it would be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world."

So...when you enter those tunnels...leave the real world behind...and savor the aromas, the tastes, the sounds, the experiences that can lead to happiness.

"Smile darn ya smile, you know this ol' world is a great world afterall..."

Walt has brought a whole lotta happiness into our lives over the years...so...yes...you could call Disneyland a great place for therapy...a great place to find the things that bring happiness, joy, wonder, magic and delight back into our lives... Surround yourself with these things...soak them in...and believe.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

Quote Originally Posted by CasaFamilia View Post
    A trip to the Park has always been a great night out with my wife. We also feel very strongly that it has helped our twin autistic daughters in their development. They have practically grown up at the Parks. It has helped them feel more comfortable around crowds and increased their willingness to interact with people. They've learned to take risks by trying new attractions, meeting new characters and have even recently overcome their fears and enjoy the firework shows(can't wait for them to see the snow on Main St.). After trips to the resort they are more aware of others and less in their "own" world which helps them at school and therapy. If you see twin little girls at the park wearing pink ear phones(helps reduce the noise level for them) stop and say hello and share in their joy!

We did the exact same thing with my autistic daughter. She learned how to talk to people, deal with crowds, and manage anxiety.

• Greetings, Program!

Fortunately things seem to be going so well for me lately that I haven't needed the occasional 'therapeutic' trip to DL for a few months. That wasn't always the case though. There were a couple of times I was really glad to have that AP.

Really glad.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

It worked for me. About two years ago, I lost my dad and I went to Disneyland for some "Me" time and to mourn. It cheered me up real quick.
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

• My Children's Father

Iv'e been enjoying the physical therapy aspects of a day at the parks as I continue my recovery from cancer. And that always makes me "feel" better.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

I find that going to Disneyland does help me forget any problems in life that I have. It really does boost my mood. Just going for a little does help a lot for me.

Oh YES my god, when im upset i need disney to cheer me up!
    Even if it is a disney song or parade soundtrack,
    If i cant go to the park
    To all who come to this Happy Place.... WELCOME ºoº
    -ig: thelipsticklizz tw:lipsticklizz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12