Thread: Walt's Words

• Banned User

Walt's Words

I was look through some of Walt's Quotes and found a few that where just awesome.

I had never seen this one before "I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something than educate people and hope they were entertained."

This is really interesting that even though Walt's main goal was to entertain he still wanted to reach the mind. I think that many of the newer attractions only focus on the former rather than the later. Look at Paradise Pier. Very little in the way of education or even awareness is promoted, where as the other areas that are far more successful try harder to teach us something. Take Sorin; even though the primary goal of the attraction is to entertain us they still manage to stimulate the mind be really immersing us within the realm of aviation. I love the section of queue that has pictures and plane parts hung on the wall. You really have no other choice but to take note of them and maybe even learn something. Of course a fun ride is still a fun ride, like Space or BTR, but that underling fact of mixing entertainment coupled with education I think still rings true today.

This was a very interesting quote given the current state of movie production. "I've never believed in doing sequels. I didn't want to waste the time I have doing a sequel; I'd rather be using that time doing something new and different."

When you sit and look at the Walt Disney Company today it's a little sad to see how far it has strayed from Walt's ideas and ambitions. Today's WDC is interested in turning a profit much more than creating something that the public would enjoy which is where and why I think Walt was such a success. Throughout Walt's career he constantly took financial gambles while trying to out do anything that had been done before. The result?: Innovation! New technology never before seen or even attempted and the reaction from the public, Walt's target, was overwhelming. The face of Animation, technology, and theme parks was changed forever. It's ashame that the WDC will never again be that same company who achieved such great heights but there is always hope...

I'm going to try and post a few quotes every couple of days (at least until I run out) so look for the next installment of Walt's Words.

• Closed Account

Re: Walt's Words

Every single decision in every aspect of the Walt Disney Company should be driven by a What Would Walt Do? mentality. Too bad they don't.

"I hope that we don't lose sight of one thing; that it was all started by a mouse."

• Here to change the world

You can't top pigs with pigs!

• Resident DL'er

^^ Exactly.

The problem with asking what Walt would do in every situation is that nobody really knows. Times have changed and so has our culture. What they can do, however, is abide by Walt's ideals, and adhere to them when making their own decisions.

• Small Projects Team

I think Disney should pay more attention to what the public wants over what Walt would have wanted. However, I don't think the public wants to see sequels either.

Darien IL- a suburb 25 mins west of Chicago

I wish there was someone who would take over and try to bring the company back to its former glory...but i dont think it will ever happen...w/ in 10 years maybe less the Disney name won't mean what it does even today ...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by mattjbhs
    I think Disney should pay more attention to what the public wants over what Walt would have wanted. However, I don't think the public wants to see sequels either.
    Depends on the quality and growth of the title. Toy Story made at the box office approx. $361,958,735 worldwide to date, Toy Story 2 $485,015,179.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Stimpy215
    I wish there was someone who would take over and try to bring the company back to its former glory...but i dont think it will ever happen...w/ in 10 years maybe less the Disney name won't mean what it does even today ...
    Although I agree with you, this was the same thing that was said in the late 70s to 80s, before Eisner & Walls tooks over. I'm not an Eisner apologist by any means, but there was definitely an renaissance there in the 80s to 90s.

Anyway, I keep hoping and "wishing upon a star".

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by nish221
    Although I agree with you, this was the same thing that was said in the late 70s to 80s, before Eisner & Walls tooks over. I'm not an Eisner apologist by any means, but there was definitely an renaissance there in the 80s to 90s.
    note: the late Frank Wells died in a helicopter crash in 1994
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Dirton, what source do you go to for Walt's quotes?

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by wrs28220
    "I hope that we don't lose sight of one thing; that it was all started by a mouse."
    I understand the sentiment that Walt was invoking with this phrase. But I've never liked it, cuz it's just not true. Walt had some failures before starting the company that eventually became today's big conglomerate. But if you had to say what started the company, there were 2 big projects before Mickey - the Alice comedies and Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. But I guess it doesn't sound as cool to say that it all started with a rabbit.