Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Princess Leia.. Princess Fantasy Fair?

Funny I thought she was a Disney Princess now and um fairy tale, last time I looked Star Wars wasn't exactly "real" perhaps more of a science fiction fairy tale but still not real.

It seems like she would fit in both arenas so for me it's six of one half a dozen of another. Doesn't seem right to have her all by her self as a solo princess in TL but on the other hand she does seem to fit that genre a little better. I guess if push came to shove I would choose for her to be with all the other princesses, as the other poster stated, Ariel, Jasmine, et all aren't necessarily tied into Medieval Times either so don't think Leia should be any different.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Hook View Post
    I say no she doesn't belong with the others. She needs to be in Tomorrowland with Vader and the Stormtroopers.
    That sounds pretty ominous. She may need some backup from the Luke Skywalker and Han Solo walkarounds.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Big Star Wars fan here. No, she doesn't belong there. She doesn't fit in and the other princesses wouldn't be nice to her. Seriously all the others are part of fairy tales. Leia is from a different genre.
    Well, Star Wars is not a fairy tale specifically, but it is a grand fantasy, and that sort of fits; the fact that the various peoples of her universe are space-faring doesn't change this. Not all of Disney's own princesses were in fairy tales set in Medieval towns, either. I agree that Leia doesn't fit, but for other reasons.

I don't see a fit. But let's include her in Tomorrowland, by all means.
    Didn't her story take place a long time ago, though? That's hardly a good fit for Tomorrowland, but then again practically nothing else there does, either....

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    She absolutely is. She was adopted by Bail Organa and Queen Breha, thus making her the Princess of Alderaan.
    That's funny, I don't see any Alderaan--just an uncharted asteroid field.

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Even though she is really Anakin and Padme's kid by blood, it doesn't deter from the fact that she is still a Princess in her adopted family.
    Leia is the daughter of a former "Queen" (elected, so not really) and was adopted by the royal family of a planet that was subsequently annihilated. So she was a princess for a while. Not that it matters anyway, as Disney "princesses" don't have to be actual princesses at any point in time--some actual Disney princesses are ignored, while the title is bestowed upon other female characters by their marketing machine.

Well, if you are going to add her as a Disney Princess, you had better add Giselle from "Enchanted" as well, or you will have trouble with ME!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    Funny I thought she was a Disney Princess now and um fairy tale, last time I looked Star Wars wasn't exactly "real" perhaps more of a science fiction fairy tale but still not real.
    The original Star Wars movie (named a bit later as Episode IV: A New Hope) has some of the major trappings associated with more traditional fairy tales, such as a princess in peril and what basically amounts to magic; the rest of the original trilogy doesn't do much if anything to change this. It's not science fiction, at least according to the stricter definitions. It's a fantasy story that happens to include many advanced technologies and space travel. Some call the genre "science fantasy," which seems apt, but whatever you call it, Star Wars at its core is not that far removed from fairy tales.

Quote Originally Posted by bondfan2000 View Post
    Well, if you are going to add her as a Disney Princess, you had better add Giselle from "Enchanted" as well, or you will have trouble with ME!!! LOL
    That's obviously one of the actual Disney princesses who is being ignored in the parks, and I've heard (for what it's worth) that part of the reason may be that Amy Adams owns the rights to her likeness. Leia, on the other hand, should be in the clear regarding rights.

• Heavy Breather

She belongs in Tommorowland along with other Star Wars characters. If they would have more Star Wars meet and greet characters out in Tomorrowland, then I would be very happy.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

• film975

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    She belongs in Tommorowland along with other Star Wars characters. If they would have more Star Wars meet and greet characters out in Tomorrowland, then I would be very happy.
    I totally agree. She really isn't a traditional Disney princess. I'm a Star Wars fan as much as the next person. But I don't want to see the DisneyParks flooded with it just because Disney bought LucasFilm.

• Minion

There's a difference between an official Disney Princess and a Disney princess. You've got the debate that looks back at Robin Hood, Atlantis, and, of course, Enchanted.

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    I'm a Star Wars fan as much as the next person. But I don't want to see the DisneyParks flooded with it just because Disney bought LucasFilm.
    Exactly, everything in its place, just like with Pixar or any other Disney creation/property, for that matter--no shoehorning!

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    There's a difference between an official Disney Princess and a Disney princess. You've got the debate that looks back at Robin Hood, Atlantis, and, of course, Enchanted.
    I get what you're saying, but regarding terminology "official" seems to mean whatever the marketing department deems marketable, which not everybody necessarily considers official--it's about merchandise, not art.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post

Agreed!
    For the love of Disney....

• film975

You really can't call Star Wars science fiction. It's not really a pure fairy tale either. Not in the same sense that Disney's fairy tale films were created. Star Wars is kind in the middle of these two genres. Star Wars is a fairy tale story set in a science fiction world. A genre I like to call science fantasy.

• Minion

Doesn't Star Wars take place in the past? Maybe it was the same time as the other fairy tales...
    Jeff Wayne

• formerly very helpful

I think the fact that the other princesses were created by Disney may also have something to do with this. Yes, Lucasfilm is now Disney, but it wasn't when the character was created.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    Despite wherever it WAS, it's Fantasyland NOW since clearly this village can't be a part of Main St. Obviously, that's not up for debate.
    Everything is open to debate or discussion. That is what fan forums are for.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    As for the subject at hand, absolutely not. She's not even a real princess in the films, let alone would she fit in with the rest.
    As someone who has actually seen the films, I would have to disagree. She most certainly is a real princess.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkChaser View Post
    I personally don't consider the Hub being part of Main Street USA, especially since it's positioned right next to the castle. I think Main Street ends right after the Jolly Holiday.
    When there was food served there, it was listed on the park maps as a Main Street eatery. Therefore, the hub are is most definitely Main Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    The Hub area has always been a transition zone between various lands (originally all of them). Main Street, U.S.A. is the theme of the street itself, as well as the small park in the center of the loop, but the outside edge of the street in the Hub area is fair game regarding theme. That's where the entrances to several lands are, and elements of these lands have "encroached" (for those who view it that way) into the Hub area since Walt's time (even attractions such as Enchanted Tiki Room and Monsanto House of the Future), beside their respective entrances.
    Except the Plaza Inn and Plaza Pavillion are on the other side of the sidewalk, and those are definitely Main Street. Again, the Plaza Gardens were the same when food was served there.

I think the fact that the other princesses were created by Disney may also have something to do with this.
    The others weren’t created by Disney either.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by bondfan2000 View Post
    I agree. They also need to have a face character of Jessica Rabbit walking around Toon Town.

I think I know why we will not see either of them or Han or Luke either. I read somewhere (I believe one of the forums here.) That they Don't have much Giselle product or her walking around because she is a real actress/person and so Disney has to pay her more money to use her likeness. When they have the cartoon princessess walking around they are all from a cartoon so the copyright is different. Wih actors/actresses you are dealing with real people and their likeness so not only are the representing Princess Leia they are representing Carrie Fisher and they have to pay her for using her likeness. There is a lot more legal things involved when representing real people.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    When there was food served there, it was listed on the park maps as a Main Street eatery. Therefore, the hub are is most definitely Main Street.
    Portions of the Hub are considered part of Main Street, U.S.A., while other portions belong to other lands--nowhere is it set in stone that the entire Hub area is part of Main Street, U.S.A..

Except the Plaza Inn and Plaza Pavillion are on the other side of the sidewalk, and those are definitely Main Street.
    They're adjacent to the rest of Main Street--a part of that land that extends into the Hub, just like every land has the "right" to. I never said that portions of the Hub beyond the street itself couldn't be a part of Main Street the land, just that not all of the Hub is necessarily a part of Main Street--other lands can claim territory there, too, because it is and always has been a transition zone.

Again, the Plaza Gardens were the same when food was served there.
    It had always been a "peninsula" of Main Street jutting between the entrances of Fantasyland and Frontierland, and there was nothing wrong with that. Now Fantasyland has taken over the space, right next to its own entrance, and there is nothing thematically inappropriate with that, either, which was my point.

The others weren’t created by Disney either.
    Disney created their own unique versions of these characters, though.

Quote Originally Posted by mine,mine,mine View Post
    Wih actors/actresses you are dealing with real people and their likeness so not only are the representing Princess Leia they are representing Carrie Fisher and they have to pay her for using her likeness. There is a lot more legal things involved when representing real people.
    That is true in many cases, but not with Leia and Carrie Fisher (nor apparently Han and Harrison Ford, and possibly others):

Carrie Fisher on How George Lucas Stole Her Identity - Newsweek and The Daily Beast
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 11-10-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast