Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Minion

Re: GAC abuse update?

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    On another thread there were legitimate GAC passholders who voluntarily sat at the disabled entrance and waited until the rest of their party caught up then entered as a group. If everyone did that then the fakers wouldn't get any advantage. Problem solved.
    That works on the few rides that the HA line is faster than the standby, but since the MAJORITY of HA lines are longer than the standby queues, what then? Due to evacuation limitations, you are now asking them to do something that is unsafe.

I think we all know POTC is ALWAYS considerably longer in the HA queue. But if my younger daughter walks up the standby line, should I be allowed to cut in front of all the others in the HA line? They are limited by the safety regulations as to how many disabled groups they can have at one time, in case the ride as to be evacuated. We are back to "cutting in front" again. Disneyland's current system is far from abuse-proof, however, it is over all a good system. The "wait in line" would work if the lines were shorter in the HA line, but those of us who have to use them already know, they aren't. There are a few that are. In my book, it usually balances out.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

I have no problem at all with having to provide proof for my son.
    As many have said, the system Disney has in place is not bad, it’s just unfortunate that some people will always try to "work the system".
    Props to Poisonedapples for the cool sig!

• Senior Minion

The solution's simplest answer is to just not allow being disabled to be a reason to get to the front of the line. They can still enter through the exit gate, Disney can still follow current laws and not have to come up with some system of proof, the only difference is that when you get in line you have to wait until some "marker" in the normal line catches up to where you would have been at when you entered. This completely removes the incentive for the cheaters.
    This. Fair for everyone.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• a damsel not in distress

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    That works on the few rides that the HA line is faster than the standby, but since the MAJORITY of HA lines are longer than the standby queues, what then? Due to evacuation limitations, you are now asking them to do something that is unsafe.
    i agree with point you are making. however, if they were able to implement a line system that works for the fastpass system, then surely they could think of a way to create a HA line that wouldn't interfere with evacuation situations.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

The solution's simplest answer is to just not allow being disabled to be a reason to get to the front of the line. They can still enter through the exit gate, Disney can still follow current laws and not have to come up with some system of proof, the only difference is that when you get in line you have to wait until some "marker" in the normal line catches up to where you would have been at when you entered. This completely removes the incentive for the cheaters.

On another thread there were legitimate GAC passholders who voluntarily sat at the disabled entrance and waited until the rest of their party caught up then entered as a group. If everyone did that then the fakers wouldn't get any advantage. Problem solved.
    Remove the incentive, remove the cheaters. This is something they can look at and implement in the future. The X-Pass is supposed to be similar to FastPass only your passes are stored on a card instead of being a separate piece of paper. They can issue return passes for people that need an alternate entrance on the pass.

• Minion

That seems like a lot more fuss and bother than it's worth. It would also lead to congestion around the exits. If there's any entity on Earth who knows the best way to move the maximum number people from A to B in the minimum time, it's the Disney Company. The system they've got now isn't perfect, but it's fairly simple and it works for them. If the worst thing that happens to them in a day is someone getting bent out of shape because NO FAIR! then they're having a good day.

Expediency will usually win the day.

Actually,

I think you can still get rid of all special access passes. I belive Disney's new ride scheduling will allow you to schedule the experiance in advance. Therefore, you can choose to wait in line the normal way, or if you can't due to a disability, simply schedule it.

•   
    • Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Due to evacuation limitations, you are now asking them to do something that is unsafe.
    Waiting at the exit is unsafe? Wouldn't they be closer to the exit in event of emergency?

Quote Originally Posted by bisforbrittney View Post
    i agree with point you are making. however, if they were able to implement a line system that works for the fastpass system, then surely they could think of a way to create a HA line that wouldn't interfere with evacuation situations.

Thank you.

Also, my friends fiance is legally blind ( Has maybe 15% vision ) and is fully capable of standing in line with everyone else. We're not talking about a wheelchair, a scooter, walker, etc. She could stand and yet she uses her GAC as a fastpass for her and up to six friends. That's FIVE perfectly abled people being fastpassed into a ride because one legitimate GAC holder is blind. ...but can stand. Come on, do the math on this scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    This. Fair for everyone.
    Agreed!
    For the love of Disney....

Also, my friends fiance is legally blind ( Has maybe 15% vision ) and is fully capable of standing in line with everyone else. We're not talking about a wheelchair, a scooter, walker, etc. She could stand and yet she uses her GAC as a fastpass for her and up to six friends. That's FIVE perfectly abled people being fastpassed into a ride because one legitimate GAC holder is blind. ...but can stand. Come on, do the math on this scenario.

This goes back to what we were saying earlier, people abusing the system! It was never meant to be for any and all disabilities!! But that is how people are using it now!!
    But I guess it is like everything else in the country (food stamps, medicaid), started off as a way to help people that truly need help and now people who do not need help just take advantage of it!

42 miles from the Happiest Place on Earth

My daughter has a problem going up/down stairs and is too heavy to carry now, we are issued as GAC that says no stairs. The only ride that it affects is Big Thunder(we don't do the subs anymore she's fallen too many times)so we use the exit for that one. I am one of the people who doesn't want to abuse the system. I have a cousin who has type 1 diabetes who gets a GAC because he doesn't want to be in line and miss a meal and have his blood sugar go to low. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. I have type 1 diabetes too, and I go to Disney all the time and that has NEVER happened to me. People just want to feel like they got something special that not everyone has, I think that is why people abuse the GACs.
    Disney bucket list:

Go to Club 33
    Tour the Walt Disney Studios
    Work for Disney

And that is how it should be! I do the same! As i have mentioned before, my son has Autism. He struggles in lines that are long and crowded. But there are rides that i will not use the pass for. If i know the line moves quickly, i can keep him busy long enough to go thru the regular line like everybody else.

42 miles from the Happiest Place on Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious1 View Post
    And that is how it should be! I do the same! As i have mentioned before, my son has Autism. He struggles in lines that are long and crowded. But there are rides that i will not use the pass for. If i know the line moves quickly, i can keep him busy long enough to go thru the regular line like everybody else.

My son has a problem with noises, space and waiting(he's 12) we do the same thing. We just try to time our rides so we don't wait too long.
    Disney bucket list:

Go to Club 33
    Tour the Walt Disney Studios
    Work for Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious1 View Post
    Good going. My daughter has autism too and she can decide when she may need to use the GAC card or if she can wait in the regular line. It give her some control and lets her use her self as the decider for use of the card. She uses it for about 50% of attractions we ride on.

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    Good going. My daughter has autism too and she can decide when she may need to use the GAC card or if she can wait in the regular line. It give her some control and lets her use her self as the decider for use of the card. She uses it for about 50% of attractions we ride on.

That is actually a very good way to do it! I will have to try this....well, as soon as my son can understand a little better.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast