Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Under that tree again!

Re: New ticket scam?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Being as this is something I know nothing about (as I've never tried to add days to a hopper 'legally'), I would assume that you would have to add days before the last day was used. Or at the very least, if it was the last day, do it inside the park, like at City Hall. I wouldn't think you would be able to take a used up ticket to the booths and just say 'add X days'. Right?
    If you bought a ticket you can upgrade from what you paid to the price of a PH upto 5 days in length or AP. You do this at the ticket booths. As mentioned above the CM will verify that the ticket is yours by asking question such as where it was originally purchased and how it was used.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    Why would the ticket booths be open 15 mins after the park has closed? Disney tries to clear their areas after closing so I wouldn't find that possible.
    And you cant really upgrade your ticket if it already expired. and they check the hand stamps. etc.
    so who knows?
    Usually a booth on each side of the Esplanade is open about 30 minutes after the last park closes.

• socal native

Interesting responses. I would have never thought of the AP upgrade. We certainly couldn't fathom why they would be collecting tickets.

They stopped us after we were about 10 feet out of the turnstiles. Two boys about 6-10 in age, one younger, one older, looking like brothers. Our first assumption might be they were looking to get different tickets to have as souvenirs, maybe there were different characters featured on different tickets and they wanted them all (?), but as we walked through DTD and were still chatting about it, we arrived at the ticket scam idea. This idea came to us since we had recently read the thread on the special 5-6 day ticket turnstile (which when I have gone has not been crowded once). My thought was since one method was being clamped down on, people, being people, were finding a new way to circumvent the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    well if you felt it was scam.Why didn't you report the kids to security?
    It wasn't until we were past the point of no return (baggage check) that this idea occurred to us. And by then I doubt I would recognize which kids they were.

u said after closing? well, DL is closed so you can't really use those tickets anymore.
    It was after closing.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Maybe, and also only if a ticket booth is still open, which would not happen shortly after this.
    The booths were still open and there were still lines. It was only about 15 minutes past closing. I think they stay open for an hour after the park closes. But I could be wrong on that account.

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    If you bought a ticket you can upgrade from what you paid to the price of a PH upto 5 days in length or AP. You do this at the ticket booths. As mentioned above the CM will verify that the ticket is yours by asking question such as where it was originally purchased and how it was used.

Usually a booth on each side of the Esplanade is open about 30 minutes after the last park closes.

Sounds like mystery solved then. The kids the OP saw were trying to get used tickets to add days. Sounds like CMs questioning people trying to add days about purchase & usage would stop them from doing it. Hopefully this is a time where the CMs all abide by Disney policy and question everyone. I'm afraid since the info seems to be around the 'webz that it must work at least sometimes, or did in the past.

In a way it's good to know this. It's not likely I would have given my used hopper to anyone anyway (and especially if they started questioning me as to where I got it, etc) since I generally keep them as keepsakes. Now I know I'll never do it!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Minion

Ok problem solved.
    Those kids shouldn't be doing that
    but also Disney shouldn't be having their tickets overpriced

if these tickets where cheaper then we wouldn't be in this mess.
    BRING BACK FREE TICKETS ON YOUR BIRTHDAY AND VOLUNTEERING!!!!!

• Senior Minion

Ok problem solved.
    Those kids shouldn't be doing that
    but also Disney shouldn't be having their tickets overpriced

if these tickets where cheaper then we wouldn't be in this mess.
    BRING BACK FREE TICKETS ON YOUR BIRTHDAY AND VOLUNTEERING!!!!!
    Partly right -- the tickets are overpriced. But no matter how much cheaper they, scammers will still be scammin'.

And NO to free birthday tickets. They just turn the park into an even more tightly packed sardine can than it already is.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

If tickets were cheaper the parks would be packed 24/7 all year and I know no one wants that. For the scam I would observe what their wearing and tell security right away just so they start to catch on to whats happening when multiple people tell security the same thing Disney will somehow do something about it don't they need like I.D. to upgrade a pass if it credit card? and if cash wouldn't u need to pay the difference at the booths?

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• a damsel not in distress

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Partly right -- the tickets are overpriced. But no matter how much cheaper they, scammers will still be scammin'.

And NO to free birthday tickets. They just turn the park into an even more tightly packed sardine can than it already is.
    my response exactly. people are always going to look for ways to scam and as much as the overpriced tickets suck, they keep the park from being overwhelmingly crowded all the time.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

+1
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

•   
    • Minion

I wonder if signs around the exits, along the lines of "please don't give your ticket to anyone, if you are asked" would help with this. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would hand over their park ticket because they don't think anything can be done with it.

I agree about reporting it to security, as well. Disney security needs to be vigilant about strangers who approach parkgoers for a whole variety of reasons and this is just one of them.

RE: the free birthday tickets, as nice as that is, I see the other side. Disney DOES still give out free tickets for volunteering, at least via Run Disney. If you volunteer at enough Run Disney events and earn a certain number of points you get a free ticket.

• My Children's Father

Anybody else think it would be OK to ask the boys where their parents are? That doesn't seem like a safe place to let your kids roam.

Ideally, I would confront the parents, if they were actually around. I would tell them to leave the premises immediately, because I was going to call security.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I wonder if signs around the exits, along the lines of "please don't give your ticket to anyone, if you are asked" would help with this. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would hand over their park ticket because they don't think anything can be done with it.

I agree about reporting it to security, as well. Disney security needs to be vigilant about strangers who approach parkgoers for a whole variety of reasons and this is just one of them.

RE: the free birthday tickets, as nice as that is, I see the other side. Disney DOES still give out free tickets for volunteering, at least via Run Disney. If you volunteer at enough Run Disney events and earn a certain number of points you get a free ticket.

Signs with 'please do not give your tickets' etc isn't a bad idea, but I expect it would have to get really obvious & widespread first, like ticket rental. I think Disney doesn't like to call attention to 'negative' things happening at the parks, so unless a whole lot of people are trying this (and succeeding) I don't think Disney would want to advertise it. Especially since people might ask them why & even that might give someone the idea to try it. I don't know how big a situation this add-a-day is, but a couple of the web forums (NOT Disney forums) also mentioned people asking for, or offering to buy for 20 bucks, used unexpired tickets on craigslist, etc (not like unused hopper days tickets resale, one poster said they 'got' used but unexpired tickets).

Again, as far as security, if it's happening on Disney property they can stop it. But not if it's happening offsite, like on Harbor. I would assume that even if they moved them off property, they'd still do it. It's not illegal to ask for the ticket, or even offer to pay for it. It's definitely unethical & in violation of Disney rules in the same way that ticket rental is. Tickets are not transferrable & are for a single user.

---------- Post added 11-08-2012 at 07:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    Anybody else think it would be OK to ask the boys where their parents are? That doesn't seem like a safe place to let your kids roam.

Ideally, I would confront the parents, if they were actually around. I would tell them to leave the premises immediately, because I was going to call security.

I was surprised to see that these kids were only 6-10 yrs old! And that it was right outside the exit gate! Obviously their parents were around somewhere nearby & probably were the ones who put them up to it. But, these days, I don't think I'd confront someone & order them off the premises. You really don't have the legal right to order them anywhere, since they aren't on 'your' property. Maybe try to get the kids to point out the parents, give them the stink eye & tell the kids to tell their parents you were going to report them to security. Or just point the kids out to security & let them take it from there.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I wonder if signs around the exits, along the lines of "please don't give your ticket to anyone, if you are asked" would help with this.
    If it ever comes down to this, I will have really​ lost faith in mankind.

Why would the ticket booths be open 15 mins after the park has closed? Disney tries to clear their areas after closing so I wouldn't find that possible.
    And you cant really upgrade your ticket if it already expired. and they check the hand stamps. etc.
    so who knows?

tikcet booths stay open one to two hours after park is closed in case anyone wants to upgrade their day pass to multi-day or annual pass.
    you are allowed to upgrade your pass even after closing as long as it is done same day.

If lines are long then a CM will walk the line and ask i anyone is interested in coming back another day. If you say yes then they mark the ticket stating that you have given an extention to upgrade.

without knowing if the kids were being honest or not they could have very well been collecting them because of the pictures on them. I know people do like to do that just like the park maps and blank/ or used gift cards

• No Disassemble!

I wonder if stuff like this will be happening a lot more frequently now that they've tightened up on the whole multi-day ticket trick.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    I wonder if stuff like this will be happening a lot more frequently now that they've tightened up on the whole multi-day ticket trick.
    Probably. Whenever people have to pay for something, there are always people trying to figure out a way to pay less for it! Shoot, even if a ticket cost $1.00, there would be someone trying to get one for $.50.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast