Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: That empty area in the Space Mountain Que

Question. When the Space Place was still open, there were seating on the patio. How far did the seating go onto the roof of Captain EO? Was there even seating there?
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

I seem to recall seeing that area packed with people on a busy day in the late 80s from the Peoplemover (I was far too young (and scared) to ride SM back then). Perhaps it can support bigger crowds than we think.

• Boogers are salty

That is not a helipad, Disney has a Helipad. Logic would let you that a busy queue for an E Ticket ride would not be the best place to stage an e-vac. The need to clear the line would create a lot of chaos and that roof is not a clear space, it is attached to higher buildings which would cause problems and not to mention Disney has a fleet of amberlamps to take anyone in need to near by hospitals that are minutes away. Its not like Disneyland is some rural community that is hours from the nearest hospital, needing to life flight anyone anywhere. Just wishful thinking for all of us who love a good Disney myth. The symbol is easily explained, your in a theme park. Remember what Tomorrowland use to be before Eisner destroyed it, a world of tomorrow where everyone travels by rocket ships. Its Themeing.

• SORCERER

Quote Originally Posted by 1disneynut2another View Post
    That is not a helipad, Disney has a Helipad. Logic would let you that a busy queue for an E Ticket ride would not be the best place to stage an e-vac. The need to clear the line would create a lot of chaos and that roof is not a clear space, it is attached to higher buildings which would cause problems and not to mention Disney has a fleet of amberlamps to take anyone in need to near by hospitals that are minutes away. Its not like Disneyland is some rural community that is hours from the nearest hospital, needing to life flight anyone anywhere. Just wishful thinking for all of us who love a good Disney myth. The symbol is easily explained, your in a theme park. Remember what Tomorrowland use to be before Eisner destroyed it, a world of tomorrow where everyone travels by rocket ships. Its Themeing.
    Couldn't agree more with you, honestly its just an overflow area with theming, you have to remember star cade once had the second floor opened and had access to that area.

It would be nice to put a prop space ship there though

It doesn't matter to me if that space if empty, I just wish they would put up some adequate shade. That place is muder during hot weather, when waiting in a loooooog line...

• Insomniac

The problem with Space Mountain's queue is not that there is a wide open space on the roof of Magic Eye theater. The problem is the horrid way they handle Fastpass for the attraction. Holding the queue outside the building makes the standby queue wait in the boring section of the queue and then sprint through the part of the queue that is slightly interesting (and Air conditioned). Same goes for Indy. Remember when the Fastpass line for Indy stretched into the temple? Soooo much better. Add to that the fact that they removed the elegant speed ramps that gave you a more dramatic entrance and the fact that Tomorrowland looks like the 1990's threw up on the 60's and SM's queue is destined to remain horrible.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    The problem with Space Mountain's queue is not that there is a wide open space on the roof of Magic Eye theater. The problem is the horrid way they handle Fastpass for the attraction. Holding the queue outside the building makes the standby queue wait in the boring section of the queue and then sprint through the part of the queue that is slightly interesting (and Air conditioned).
    Where else would you put the merge point? There isn't room in the interior queue for a separate FastPass line. And if you're going to leave the merge point in the same spot, the only other thing you can do is leave less of a "buffer" area inside, which means all the FastPass guests are going to be unnecessarily waiting for longer.

I agree that the current setup is less than ideal, but it's the best solution that doesn't involve some serious demolition and construction.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    i will repost , with bigger picture.,
    see the cirlce with lines??? that is the helipad...

Definitely not a helipad. A helipad has an H in a circle, and most importantly, you can land the helicopter on the H, in any orientation, without worrying about hitting something. The helicopter could easily hit stuff if it used this as a helipad.

---------- Post added 11-11-2012 at 04:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    Couldn't agree more with you, honestly its just an overflow area with theming, you have to remember star cade once had the second floor opened and had access to that area.
    It has been used as an overflow area in the past.

Of course, helicopters aren't the only thing that has flied over Disneyland.

Name:  rocketman2+paleo+future.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  17.6 KB
    Last edited by chesirecat; 11-11-2012 at 08:34 AM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by 1disneynut2another View Post
    Makes total sense. Your reasoning is spot on. That location makes absolutely no sense for a helipad - buildings all around it 1000+ people nearby in the queue. And Anaheim is not isolated at all. In fact it would actually probably take longer to transport someone to a nearby hospital via helicopter. The helicopter needs to be dispatched, it has to fly there, the area needs to be cleared, the person needs to transport to the helipad area (it is highly unlikely that these situations will occur only in the area of SM). Compared with an emergency vehicle, which is kept backstage in the DLR grounds, which could have had the person transported to the hospital probably in the same amount of time or sooner than it would take a helicopter to arrive at DL.

• Koubu Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by mondo View Post
    Question. When the Space Place was still open, there were seating on the patio. How far did the seating go onto the roof of Captain EO? Was there even seating there?
    The tables up there only occupied the side of the roof where the ramp comes up. The tables didn't occupy the space occupied by the Magic Eye Theater's roof.

• Insomniac

Quote Originally Posted by CMinParadise View Post
    Where else would you put the merge point? There isn't room in the interior queue for a separate FastPass line. And if you're going to leave the merge point in the same spot, the only other thing you can do is leave less of a "buffer" area inside, which means all the FastPass guests are going to be unnecessarily waiting for longer.

I agree that the current setup is less than ideal, but it's the best solution that doesn't involve some serious demolition and construction.
    I was pointing out the problem, not giving a solution, but if they removed the hand rails, video screens/ housing for the video screens, ect they could have enough room for a two queue set up allowing FP to merge right before the station room. Thus having 40-60 feet of the standby queue inside the building. They could also remove Starcade and have the entrance to SM to through Starcade and up to the second level and then over outside. This would also give the queue a longer portion of the queue being inside an air conditioned building. This would also give them room to install a interactive queue/ better themed extended queue that would make the experience less boring/ bland. Will they do either? Nope too expensive, but they could.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    Not possible. That is the roof of the Magic Eye Theater. It would collapse if there was too much weight on it.

Nonsense.
    I have seen days where the line zig-zagged full of ppl.
    Unless... sometime between the 80s and today, the Magic Eye was torn down and re-built with a flimsy-yet-stronger-on-the-outter-edges-type roof.

There was a time when the queue was quite a bit different and ppl didn't stand on the edges. And as someone else posted, I think there was a stage area there that could be set up for press and presentations.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• My Children's Father

Isn't there a "chicken exit" or emergency exit to the right of the line just before you go down the penultimate ramp before ride boarding? I always thought that would be a good spot for the FP/standby merge point. There used to be two lines starting at that point. Anybody ever chicken out there? Any CMs know where that exit goes?
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    Not possible. That is the roof of the Magic Eye Theater. It would collapse if there was too much weight on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    Nonsense.
    I have seen days where the line zig-zagged full of ppl.
    Unless... sometime between the 80s and today, the Magic Eye was torn down and re-built with a flimsy-yet-stronger-on-the-outter-edges-type roof.
    So true...

Let's say a helicopter weighs two tons (which seems a little high, but for the sake of argument we'll go with that number). Let's also say an average person weighs 150 pounds (which seems a little low, but again, we'll go with that number). That means the roof could only support less than 30 people. Even with the added downward force of a helicopter landing, the claim that the roof isn't strong enough to support a helicopter is silly.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    Isn't there a "chicken exit" or emergency exit to the right of the line just before you go down the penultimate ramp before ride boarding? I always thought that would be a good spot for the FP/standby merge point. There used to be two lines starting at that point. Anybody ever chicken out there? Any CMs know where that exit goes?
    There is what we used to call the "spaceport exit" down the ramps and just before getting to the spacestation where you can watch them load (we called it the "spaceport exit" b/c "spaceport" is written on the upper part of the walls). This exit could work for FP IMO if it was widened. There is another exit closer to the ground level near the main exit/photo wall. Most ppl miss this b/c it merges from behind you as you near the load area. It may be a contender too. These of course could only be changed if they were widened to remain up to code (they cannot be an entrance AND an exit at their current width).

How easy would it be to widen it? I guess it would be quite easy and minimal cost.

However, I see no reason to not cheaply reconfigure both SB and FP queues to run parallel with eachother across the edge of the roof of the Magic Eye and just split them there from the CM's left (if he/she is looking at the screen/monitor). There is enough room even on the busiest of days. I kinda think it has to do with Disney not wanting SB riders to see how many FP riders are going ahead of them. There is definately enough space to handle both lines thru only one side of the merge point (left or right).

Please note: I have never worked for Disney in any capacity.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast