Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: That empty area in the Space Mountain Que

Not a Helipad.

I agree with a previous poster that a Helipad always has an H (except on a naval ship or something). If they needed helicopters, they could just land in the parking lot, or the bus drop off areas.

• AKA - DisneyChris

The Space Mountain complex was so much nicer before they added that roof. The open air arena with the space mountain backdrop towering over was always so nice. It was designed to look that way, and by adding the roof, and closing it up with walls, the complex lost a lot of it's vitality. Here is a picture for those of you who do not remember...

Name:  13 - 11.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  30.9 KB

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

• Insomniac

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Emelius View Post
    The Space Mountain complex was so much nicer before they added that roof. The open air arena with the space mountain backdrop towering over was always so nice. It was designed to look that way, and by adding the roof, and closing it up with walls, the complex lost a lot of it's vitality. Here is a picture for those of you who do not remember...

Name:  13 - 11.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  30.9 KB
    Agreed! I love looking at pics of TDL's Space mountain because it still has that open air look to it. I would sacrifice Capt EO for an open air theater...
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Emelius View Post
    I think they should just remove the roof and turn the theater back into an amphitheater.
    Yes! And bring back Space Place! I know it's still sitting behind that wall, frozen in carbonite.

• AKA - DisneyChris

As I recall - Space Place was only used for heavy attendance seasonal periods, once the roof was added, because the Tomorrowland Terrace had the exact same menu, and the Space Place lost all of its appeal to guests once they could not watch shows in the adjacent amphitheater. The restaurant had zero atmosphere once they converted the theater, it was just surrounded by beams and concrete, so it was not a very popular place to eat. But if they reopened the theater to the out of doors, the space place would be nice to have back as well. I say they should turn the Redd Rockett restaurant into an arcade based on the arcade from Toy Story - re-purpose the StarCade into something else, and bring back the Space Place.

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

• Hello Dolly.

I've always wished they did something with that area. They don't have to bring the amplitheater back but the area just looked so much better when the area was open and SM had the speedramps.

It's pretty pointless area. It's never, from my knowledge, been used as an overflow queue & being what it is just reminds me that I'm in an hot, slow, miserable line.

But this area is the least of the problems with Tomorrowland. At least once you get past the outdoor portion, the queue takes you to the future.

Does anyone have pics or video of the patio with (pre 90's) and without the roof. Also Space Place with the open theater.
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

I have heard it was a helipad too...

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by chadb14 View Post
    Are we talking about the "landing space" on your left hand side as you walk across the roof? If so, I always thought that they should have put some sort space ship there, maybe the X-Wing that is (or was) hanging in the StarTrader. Granted, the X-Wing would need to have some landing gear added. Maybe they could put an Imperial Shuttle there, sort of fits the Starwars theme that is already in the area. The area could be empty because of weight issues, but it would be kind of neat to have a little show piece of some kind right there.
    Yes, and close Space Mountain for exactly one year
    and using backstage area behind it, create the Space Mtn. Range,
    with dual, enlarged coaster tracks (bigger hills and an equal # of turns in both directions)
    and make it Star Wars themed.
    Call it. . .
    Star Wars.

And then don't do this at WDW so the parks are different. (Or do it at WDW where there is more room and then don't do it at Disneyland.)
    Last edited by jcruise86; 11-14-2012 at 11:47 AM.

• Disneyland History Lover

The helicopter landing markings are merely theming. Helicopters do not land there. The roof would not support them anyway, as the Magic Eye Theater is not a complete building done from the ground up. That area was built around, and the roof is not meant to sustain heavy weight. That is why it goes undisturbed most of the time with the queue winding around it rather than thru it.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Yes! And bring back Space Place! I know it's still sitting behind that wall, frozen in carbonite.
    Carbonite... that explains the pizza at Pizza Port. It must be made out of the same stuff.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Yes, and close Space Mountain for exactly one year
    and using backstage area behind it, create the Space Mtn. Range,
    with dual, enlarged coaster tracks (bigger hills and an equal # of turns in both directions)
    and make it Star Wars themed.
    Call it. . .
    Star Wars.

And then don't do this at WDW so the parks are different. (Or do it at WDW where there is more room and then don't do it at Disneyland.)
    Great idea, JCruise86! We've just greenlighted this, and you will receive a certificate good for $3 your next meal at Pizza Port, provided you purchase a beverage. BTW, we've changed our mind of your Frontierland Hotel, so we'd like that churro back.
    --Bob Iger, Jan Rasulo, Thomas Staggs, Meg Crofton, and John Lasseter

I remember back in the day when the escalator was in front of Space Mountain. and at the top was part of the que for the ride. They had more planters but it all changed when they moved the entrance from the front to the old Mission to Mars/Rodd Rocket Pizza area.

• Disney "FREAK" since 1981

I've often wondered about that. Did they change the entrance to the attraction simply because of the fastpass system?

I used to love waiting in line for Space Mountain and hearing the impending doom of the roller coaster. Now everybody just zooms right passed it all and goes straight to the ride. Kind of a lost opportunity if you ask me.

• Glad to hear: Flynn Lives

If my memory serves me, they used to have dual speed ramps in the front. When they installed FastPass (the first attraction to get FastPass anywhere), they used the left ramp for FastPass return and the right-ramp for standby.

The walkways inside used to be wider before the gut-and-rebuild referbishment when they encased it. It used to be open, even with a glmpse inside the ride to give you that sneak peak ahead and to build up excitement. Of course, no one payed attention to that once they installed the Fed-Ex monitors.

But I digress. When I was there for GradNight '95 they still used the ramps and the line went to the west side by the StarCade as it does now. For Grad night, though, the rest of that open area was used for table seating for a special lunch.

That would probably be a good use for it again -- as an outdoor eating area. Of course, my TomorrowLand vision has that as a giant concourse connecting the new top-level area by the starcade and the top-evel attractions that are not the upper "floors" of Pizza Port and Innoventions... and I digress again...
    Daffy: How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!
    Bugs: Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team The Ducks?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast