Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any plans for Luigi's Flying Tires next year?

From all the negativity for the ride do you think they might plan on getting rid of the ride and replace it? Do you want to get rid of it? What do you think should be done with it? Personally I haven't ridden it yet as it was too crowded when I went in August but I heard it was super slow. Do you think that if they just got new ride vehicles that would go faster than the ride would be a lot more fun and successful? Or is it something that can not be fixed? If so then how about replacing it with that drive in theater concept they had a while back?

• Dream in wonderful color!

Re: Any plans for Luigi's Flying Tires next year?

The tires can be quite slow. But for the first time tonight, I picked up a lot of speed and was going faster than everyone else. The only difference was I was riding solo this time which made the tire lighter and gave me more control over the direction I was going. So if you want a faster ride, I suggest riding in a tire by yourself.

Personally I like the ride and oppose the idea of replacing with yet another restaurant or store.
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• -

It just opened in June. I doubt they will replace it anytime soon.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Team Hail HYDRA

give 2 more years

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• a damsel not in distress

i was surprised at how quickly they got rid of the beach balls, but i doubt they'll change it within the year. there hasn't really been a decrease in the amount of people riding it, just complaints. after the lines begin to die down, i predict they'll do a mini-refurb and brainstorm some type of new hype/story to market it with in hopes of bringing in more riders. if that fails, they'll close it down.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by LandOFHappiness View Post
    From all the negativity for the ride
    Over the three days I was there, I saw nothing but smiles on the ride and people laughing as they got off. When "all the negativity" is being mentioned, who is it that is negative exactly? Because from what I've seen in photos, videos and personal experience and in talking with friends who practically live at the park I have yet to hear anything beyond "the load is a bit slow."

First time we rode it, it was incredibly easy to pick up and you can get up a great deal of speed. Beach balls would have distracted from the ride and made it a beach party instead. We saw adults, teenagers, and children alike enjoying themselves without reservation. Smiles and laughter.

I guess I'm kind of confused as to what the expectation for this ride was exactly?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• -

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I guess I'm kind of confused as to what the expectation for this ride was exactly?
    4 inversions and a 600' vertical drop.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    give 2 more years
    Awww
    For the love of Disney....

• Thinking about doughnuts

I plan to ride it a lot in 2013. It's fun.

The problem is that the tires are too big and the air bed is too small. There is no room to maneuver. They aren't going to increase the footprint any time soon, so the solution is to decrease the size of the ride vehicles which are huge. If they had paid attention to the Flying Saucer attraction of the 1960's, they would have noted the one rider vehicle. Something in between the previous incarnation and the present model would be ideal in a two rider configuration.
    A second improvement would be to add bumpers, like those in pinball machines, to keep riders from getting stuck against the walls. A third improvement would be to add hot spots to the bed where the air pressure is increased, thus adding interest to find & use them. The attraction can be fixed but it is pretty dismal as it sits. The worst part is that it shouldn't need to be fixed & should have been "plussed" before we even saw it. Luigi's is just another example of the under achievement that is DCA.
    Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

Unless there are mechanical problems and it's down more than up I can't imagine it going anywhere, but we haven't heard any reports of such problems, have we?

My one ride was fun (I got good speed even in the beach-ball era) and I would ride it again if the line wasn't so dang long.

•   

Actually, from what I hear, that attraction's reliability has greatly increased due to some backstage mechanical work.

I hope it never goes anywhere. Regardless of what us fanboys say, nearly every person on that ride whether they're going fast or slow, walks off laughing and smiling. Its a fun ride and people seem to love it, myself included.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

When we weren't stuck and had room to get some distance, we enjoyed the ride. We spent so much time caught between other ride vehicles, though. After such a long wait, the ride felt uneventful and very short.
    True, I have only been on it once, but it does seem like a very "hit or miss" ride. Redesigning the ride vehicles to be smaller and lighter might help, I suppose. I like the idea of the ride, it's just a shame it isn't more efficient and consistent.

I don't know if this has been discussed, and I'd imagine a lot of people wouldn't find this unique enough, but what if they made it just like a traditional bumper cars ride? The ride vehicles could still be like you are riding in a tire.
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

• former CM

Luigi's Flying Tires

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Over the three days I was there, I saw nothing but smiles on the ride and people laughing as they got off. When "all the negativity" is being mentioned, who is it that is negative exactly? Because from what I've seen in photos, videos and personal experience and in talking with friends who practically live at the park I have yet to hear anything beyond "the load is a bit slow."

First time we rode it, it was incredibly easy to pick up and you can get up a great deal of speed. Beach balls would have distracted from the ride and made it a beach party instead. We saw adults, teenagers, and children alike enjoying themselves without reservation. Smiles and laughter.

My daughter and I are with you and Pinrar above. We love it and the only thing that has stopped us from riding it more often is the wait due to its popularity.

It's also a fun ride to watch so (suggestion!):
    some of the area along the north side could be elevated
    for a cheering section
    with comfortable benches. (With backs to lean back on--not bleachers.)

Because the flying saucers flew off decades ago, this ride is now unique
    and unique is in sport supply in 2012. These tires were build to last for at least a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by gomezaddams View Post
    The problem is that the tires are too big and the air bed is too small. There is no room to maneuver. . . Luigi's is just another example of the under achievement that is DCA.
    Maybe they could remove one of the tires, but is it possible that you are just bad at it?

And DCA is now wonderful.
    Why?
    Soarin',
    the whole Animation complex,
    Aladdin (fix the flying carpet, but still very good, but, yeah, replace it with the Lion King),
    the view of Paradise Pier--one of the most beautiful man-made views in America,
    Mickey's Fun Wheel,
    California Screamin',
    Toy Story Mania,
    The World of Color,
    free chocolate samples,
    Grizzly River Rapids,
    the whole Redwood Creek area,
    the proximity to the best hotel lobby in S. California (
    fireside storytelling, excellent piano players, really nice bathrooms, arguably the best restaurant in Orange County),
    beer,
    the Golden Zephyr, the swings, and Triton's merry-go-round--especially after dark,
    in fact, all of DCA at night,
    Flo's V8 cafe, especially the views from the south side, outdoor patio,
    the two not-off-the-shelf rides in Cars land (Mater's & Luigi's),
    the neon lights of Carsland,
    It's Tough to Be a Bug,
    The Muppets 3D,
    the new Walt Statue,
    the quality of Buena Vista Street,
    the lost and found system (I left my sweatshirt there last Saturday and they mailed back to me so that it arrived less than a week later, for FREE.)
    the attractive gardeny pasta restaurant area to the west of the swings,
    the get away from the crowds pathway (Howdy smokers!) through the GR Rapids,
    the free Disney Visa photos with characters area,
    fresh bread bowls,
    the Mariachi Divas,
    and Radiator Springs Racers.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 11-11-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast