View Poll Results: Starbucks / Dunkin' Donuts / None of the Above??

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Starbucks

76 61.29%
  • Dunkin' Donuts

8 6.45%
  • None of the Above

40 32.26%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Starbucks coming to Disney parks? I hate their Coffee - who's with me?

Very disappointing. Main Street is like the alter of the Church. It is supposed to reflect a time and a place of yesteryear and is the pinnacle of Walt Disney World. Hanging a Starbucks sign on main street is an instant leap in time to a coffee shop located in everybody’s hometown. That makes it not special. It clashes with the theme. Disney bakery items are special and unique. As an avid photographer, I am deeply sadden that pictures will be soiled with a Starbuck in the picture. I find it hard to believe Walt would have allowed this. He focused on keeping the outside world distractions out. That’s why there were never pay telephones or newspaper stands. Disney has been so special because of the environment, decor and the ability to forget everything at home. We have taking our daughters to the park since they were 3 years old. They are out of college and Kim was even a Cast Member. We have one of the bricks at the very front of Magic Kingdom. There has been comfort knowing this is the one place that our grand kids would visit and see the Magic as we had seen it. Removing this iconic establishment and the historic Bakery sign is so sad and a shift away from Walt’s priceless and keen vision. You can serve the fivebucks coffee but commercializing the decor is just plain unnecessary and sad. Who want a baked thing from fivebucks at the Magic Kindom when you can get the exact same thing down at your local fivebucks in the corner of Target. Where’s the Magic in that? It might taste good but it certainly is NOT Magical. What’s next, convert the Emporium to a Foley’s?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

There aren't that many Dunkin' Donuts in California. That might be part of the reason they aren't in the DLR. Starbucks on the other hand already has the infrastructure already established in order to support an establishment in the DLR. If supplies are needed Starbucks can quickly get them to DCA while it might be more difficult for Dunkin' Donuts to do.

Just so the OP knows, years ago there used to be very many Dunkin' Donuts and Winchells in California. Their popularity died off after the Vietnam war, when refugees from Southeast Asia started flooding into the state. This area of the world once was under French control, and one of the influences this had on Vietnamese culture was in baking and pastry making. If you have ever had a Vietnamese sandwich, the bread is amazing! Anyway many Vietnamese opened up bakeries and donut shops when they came to California, and because of this French influence the donuts that they made were much better (and still are) compared to Dunkin Donuts, Winchells, and Krispy Kreme (blecch!). They were so good and so inexpensive that they became more and more popular, to the point to where it is almost impossible to find a Dunkin Donuts or Winchells anymore in the area.

So anyway I digress. I am sure the coffee is good at Dunkin Donuts. They do sell their coffee in our grocery stores and even though I haven't had it I am sure it is tasty. But when it comes to donuts, a donut to California is what pizza is to New York!

• Chief Troublemaker

I like Starbucks, at least my local. We also got excellent Caramel Frappuccinos at DCA so I'm good with Starbucks being there. I don't care for Dunkin'.

BUT, if we want REALLY good coffee, I vote for a Blue Bottle Coffee. (Anyone from the Bay area want to second that?)
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• a damsel not in distress

does anybody have pictures of starbucks in the parks? i'm interested in how they've been integrated into the surroundings.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bisforbrittney View Post
    does anybody have pictures of starbucks in the parks? i'm interested in how they've been integrated into the surroundings.
    I dont have pictures but most people wont even notice its there, they don't have a large sign with the logo but more period appropriate sign the simply says Starbucks, which is a small sign.

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I like Starbucks, at least my local. We also got excellent Caramel Frappuccinos at DCA so I'm good with Starbucks being there. I don't care for Dunkin'.

BUT, if we want REALLY good coffee, I vote for a Blue Bottle Coffee. (Anyone from the Bay area want to second that?)
    Glad to see we have some Bay Area-ins on Micechat! Every time I'm in the city I make sure to stop by Blue Bottle, they have awesome coffee.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I'll second, third and fourth that!! Blue Bottle is such a gem. I like living somewhere where there are lots of independent coffee shops though so I can support the locals but when I get into the city, I love to have Blue Bottle, even though there's a Starbucks every half block.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Down Pluto!

Starbucks is not my favorite, but is much better than what Disney was serving.

Dunkin Donuts is the bench sweepings of coffee. I guess once you develop a taste for raw sewage then Dunkin Donuts is acceptable.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Farmers Brothers coffee=the best.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Under that tree again!

I'd guess if Disney used starbucks coffee at every coffee selling location but didn't associate the starbucks name with it people would complain about Disney Coffee as always.

I'd far prefer they do something like that rather than brand stores with the coffee names. Unfortunately with coffee it's the marketing that they buy, not the actual product.

They serve Nescafe right now which is a concentrated coffee syrup. I don't like it, it tastes awkwardly "bacony" to me. Starbucks is much much better than Nescafe. People are just freaking out all over the place about the look of the Main Street Bakery afterwards when they just completely ignore how they incorporated Starbucks in DCA.

I'm more of a Peets fan, but Starbucks, I think, should be considered an upgrade rather than a downgrade.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

•   
    • Banned User

Nice topic but you could be swimming upstream on this topic. People seem to be in support of Starbucks whether it's enthusiastic or "It's better than what they served before" which it is. For about 15 years Starbucks has been the ONE corporate presence in the park I actually looked forward to and wondered when exactly it would happen.

I for one welcome our coffee bean grinding overlords.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Emelius View Post
    Dunkin' Donuts handles a VERY HIGH volume consistently - and they serve many of the same variants such as espresso and latte. If you have ever been to a Dunkin in New England - You would be surprised how fast they handle huge amounts of people. In fact, it is very Disney in its efficiency. I think people may have a few preconceived notions here.

BINGO.

DD is the official coffee of the office I work at. We struck a deal with them as soon as they moved out west. At first, it seemed like alotta complaints from supposed coffee snobs in our dept. But then, it caught on quick. Once these SB-addicts realized that the SB image added no flavor to the coffee, they were happy w/ the choice for the most part.

DD could have been a great match w/ Disney. But I am pretty sure SB isn't going anywhere. It would be interesting to have SB in DCA *and* a DD in DL on MS.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• See Ya Real Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    There aren't that many Dunkin' Donuts in California.
    Are there ANY Dunkin' Donuts in California?

• I'm a Lutheran

Starbucks is also a bigger brand name and more recognizable, even to children. It's become just as notable as the McDonald's arches or the face of Colonel Sanders. Even if the sign as displayed on Buena Vista Street scarcely resembles the modern logo, it's still a majority preferred product, myself being a part of that majority.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast