View Poll Results: Starbucks / Dunkin' Donuts / None of the Above??

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Starbucks

76 61.29%
  • Dunkin' Donuts

8 6.45%
  • None of the Above

40 32.26%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

• La Reine Lézard

Re: Starbucks coming to Disney parks? I hate their Coffee - who's with me?

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    peets coffee!!!
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Source?

Not of the beans, but of your claim.
    My source? Myself, a six year partner at Starbucks. A four year partner a few pages back also stated the correct information. You can also take a look at Starbucks' website, under the "sourcing" section at http://www.starbucks.com/coffee/lear...rs-in-your-cup

DisneyIPresume, there is also information at the link about how Starbucks roasts and blends our coffee.
    "Always smile. Never frown, even when you're down. Because you never know when someone is falling in love with your smile." -Unknown

• Chief Troublemaker

This was taken directly from Starbuck's website. It certainly seems to indicate they use only arabica:

"It takes a special bean to become a Starbucks® coffee. We sample over 150,000 cups a year looking for the very best arabica coffees. In the end, only about 3% of the world’s beans makes it into a bag of our coffee."

http://www.starbucks.com/coffee/learn/flavors-in-your-cup

Starbucks has 4 regional roasting plants
    which look to be pretty good-sized and run 24/7. Here is an interesting article from ABC news regarding a reporter's 'field trip' to a Starbucks roasting plant:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2008/04/coffee-addicts/

Is Starbucks as good as, say, Blue Bottle coffee (all Bay Area folk who jumped to stand at attention may now be seated) which is roasted in small batches? No, but I don't think anyone is saying it is. Just the same as a home baked pie isn't as good as one you get in a restaurant. But that isn't to say that just because Starbucks is able to produce large quantities of product means that they aren't good at what they do nor that their coffee isn't a good product. I happen to like their whole bean Sumatra.

Remember also, it's not just the coffee you use, it's how you brew your coffee, too. Crappy coffee (Folgers et al) will always yield a nasty brew, but even with good quality coffee your cup can be less than satisfying if your proportions & equipment aren't good.

edit; don't know why the links didn't post as clickable, but you can cut & paste.
    edit edit; fantasmic, you beat me in posting to the Starbucks link.

Last edited by Stormy; 11-11-2012 at 10:49 AM.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• My Children's Father

There is no accounting for taste. Although it may be helpful to know what beans are used (I'd like to try the ones that are gleaned from cat poop) and how they are processed in the hope of recreating what someone likes, what actually appeals to a person's taste buds cannot be justified. Rest assured that the mouse made a business decision, not a taste decision. That being said, SB is fine with me, and I know what I'm getting. My "Triple Venti Cappacino" is the same (with slight variations on the foaminess - a matter of taste that they can conform to) at each and every SB I visit.

WARNING! OT PORTION: Coffee preferances are like beer preferances. Some people claim to actually prefer Budweiser ... personally I can't stand it. I do prefer the "stronger", more flavorful ales and microbrews. Like beer, coffee is an aquired taste. And while there are many beers that I like there are many that are seldom as available as others. It has gotten better over the years, with fewer and fewer places offering only Bud and their watered-down brethren.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    You realize that if DD was in the park you would be still be paying top dollar for it?

I also did a quick search and found this: Coffee Wars – The results are in! | Web Communications - Wayne State University Blogs

Now I'm not sure how accurate this is and there is really not definitive, it's just kinda funny where DD is.
    Not very definitive considering that Kirkland (Costco brand) coffee won.

DD is East Coast.......Starbucks is West Coast.......it's that simple. I guarantee you that DD would be more popular at the Florida parks than Starbucks. I'm from New England and love DD.......I really only go to Starbucks during Nov/Dec because I love their holiday drinks (Eggnog Latte, etc). I find it very curious that in this day and age we don't have ANY Dunkin Donuts in CA. Unlike some, I happen to think that they would do very well here.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by mainejeff View Post
    Not very definitive considering that Kirkland (Costco brand) coffee won.

DD is East Coast.......Starbucks is West Coast.......it's that simple. I guarantee you that DD would be more popular at the Florida parks than Starbucks. I'm from New England and love DD.......I really only go to Starbucks during Nov/Dec because I love their holiday drinks (Eggnog Latte, etc). I find it very curious that in this day and age we don't have ANY Dunkin Donuts in CA. Unlike some, I happen to think that they would do very well here.
    There used to be more Dunkin Donuts in CA. Now there are hardly any. As I mentioned before the big chain donut shops don't tend to do too well in CA compared to the independent shops, who really make a superior product at least donut-wise.

And thanks to those who posted those links. Whether I was right or wrong isn't really the point so much as I like to learn all that I can about coffee. This really isn't a contest so much as learning about a product that if you really look into it is as complex as wine tasting or things like that.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Chicory coffee it will be for sure, hopefully next Feb or March (fingers crossed, still planning). Unfortunately, I don't think Jazz Kitchen does gluten free beignet so none for me. Tell ya what...you enjoy an extra one for me, ok?
    Are we twins? haha I'm gluten free also. I've yet to ever enjoy a beignet or a monte cristo sandwich for that matter. I think the combo of gluten, cheese and the fried factor would send me into digestive destruction.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    There is no accounting for taste. Although it may be helpful to know what beans are used (I'd like to try the ones that are gleaned from cat poop) and how they are processed in the hope of recreating what someone likes, what actually appeals to a person's taste buds cannot be justified. Rest assured that the mouse made a business decision, not a taste decision. That being said, SB is fine with me, and I know what I'm getting. My "Triple Venti Cappacino" is the same (with slight variations on the foaminess - a matter of taste that they can conform to) at each and every SB I visit.

WARNING! OT PORTION: Coffee preferances are like beer preferances. Some people claim to actually prefer Budweiser ... personally I can't stand it. I do prefer the "stronger", more flavorful ales and microbrews. Like beer, coffee is an aquired taste. And while there are many beers that I like there are many that are seldom as available as others. It has gotten better over the years, with fewer and fewer places offering only Bud and their watered-down brethren.

Actually, I've tried cat poop coffee. I had a few sips of a shared Arabica Sumatra Kopi Luwak at a coffee tasting a while back. It really was pretty darn good!

But not good enough to pay $60.00 for 2 oz.!!!!!!!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Diva Extrodinaire

I wish they would have used The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, considering how popular they are in Southern California (and I think a majority of their non-coffee products are superior to Starbucks), but Starbucks makes more sense at a national level.
    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    Are we twins? haha I'm gluten free also. I've yet to ever enjoy a beignet or a monte cristo sandwich for that matter. I think the combo of gluten, cheese and the fried factor would send me into digestive destruction.

I have distant memories of Monte Cristos from back before I was diagnosed, LOL. I'm lucky that my Celiac problems don't include lactose intolerance, that's a real bummer for you!

I know there are recipes online for both GF beignet & a GF monte cristo. I also saw 'somewhere' that BB will do a GF monte cristo if you give them enough advance notice. I'm actually thinking of trying this next time. But I know you 'get it' when I say I'm afraid to. The last thing we want to do is risk getting 'glutened' at Disney, right?

anyone who knows coffe knows that illy coffee is the best (or at least best brand name coffee)... though it's much more expensive than starbucks and dunkin donuts

• Sock Puppet

starbucks is already located inside DCA if anyone did not know. it is inside the fiddler, fifer and practical cafe. I think it is a great addition to the park and i love their coffee! AND I am so very happy they have put on in at DCA

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by mainejeff View Post
    I find it very curious that in this day and age we don't have ANY Dunkin Donuts in CA. Unlike some, I happen to think that they would do very well here.
    They were well on their way. It was a big "do" here when it arrived (Sin City)
    ...but then that pesky thing happened, called the "Great Resession".

I, too, think that they could compete. While I am not a huge coffee snob, I get it (I was just never into their SB culture). To me DD just seems straight forward and easier and less crowded than SB. I think whatever it is that makes DD so easy to reach would work very well in Cali for those who need coffee without the SB drama.

Anytime I go into SB there seems to be a fury of disorganization and a frenzied craziness, couple this with the messed up names for products and names for sizes, too many choices/flavors/products, and in-your-face marketing, it is too much.

DD - I am in & out, everyone gets what they want, no fuss no muss, no "new" culture or names or products to learn. We are all happy and can get on with our day without all the SB drama.
    ...so yeah, I am certain DD would do well as an alt. for SB in Cali!!!
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Yeah, I can never track the names for the sizes of the cups. I still order a "large" or a "small" and they can call it whatever they want.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

The cup size criticism is always baffling to me. You can go into any Starbucks and order a small, medium, and large and you'll get just that.

It's almost as baffling as the price criticism. I always hear people saying a cup of coffee at Starbucks is $5. A cup of coffee is usually between $1.50 and $1.75, not far off of other brands.

If you don't like the flavor or "commercialization" (which is funny coming from Disney fans), fine....but don't make up facts to support your criticisms. (I, for one, don't care for the flavor of Starbucks coffee either......)

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast