View Poll Results: Starbucks / Dunkin' Donuts / None of the Above??

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Starbucks

76 61.29%
  • Dunkin' Donuts

8 6.45%
  • None of the Above

40 32.26%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

• some assembly required

Re: Starbucks coming to Disney parks? I hate their Coffee - who's with me?

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    The cup size criticism is always baffling to me. You can go into any Starbucks and order a small, medium, and large and you'll get just that.
    Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    Yeah, I can never track the names for the sizes of the cups. I still order a "large" or a "small" and they can call it whatever they want.
    *le sigh*... I still get "Do you want a/an ________?" after telling them the common term. This kills me. I always reply with "I'll just take the biggest one you have" AND I still get "That's a/an _______?"

I also detest the attitude I get sometimes (most of the time) for not ordering "properly". Are you kidding me? When you went to Star Bucks College program, they de-programed you, and now you don't know what a small is or what a large is???????

This is one of the elements that make up SB culture that I cannot stand. I do not want to be school in their terminology. In fact I just don't want their terminology, period. Especiallllly at 6 in the morning! I know it appeals to a broad slice of the population - getting all fancey-pants with the names and allowing one to feel like they are in on it too. Nope, when I need something, I don't have time for their dictated menu. ugh.

If someone loves it. Great. I get it. That's how I am with Disneyland. But I will go out of my way to DD and avoid SB when I need some coffee.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

I'm glad I haven't gotten any attitude for my lack of SB terminology - I'd probably hand their attitude back at them. Any time of day.

I'm glad there is a coffee place, of any drinkable version, placed on my way out of the park. It's harder for me to get that final cup at Disneyland somehow. But the Fiddler Cafe is conveniently close to the entrance/exit.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Well forget getting your morning coffee there as you enter DCA. The line is always way too long! (go figure....haha) I just head to that coffee stand across from The Little Mermaid. IMHO its okay and better than waiting in a ridiculous line.
    [Half awake] How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    The cup size criticism is always baffling to me. You can go into any Starbucks and order a small, medium, and large and you'll get just that.

It's almost as baffling as the price criticism. I always hear people saying a cup of coffee at Starbucks is $5. A cup of coffee is usually between $1.50 and $1.75, not far off of other brands.

If you don't like the flavor or "commercialization" (which is funny coming from Disney fans), fine....but don't make up facts to support your criticisms. (I, for one, don't care for the flavor of Starbucks coffee either......)
    LOL this. My grandma thinks starbucks is sooo expensive and the mom and pops are cheaper...In her city's local shop where I paid $5 a few years back for a medium green tea frapp...She's crazy
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

•   
    • Minion

RE: Dunkin Donuts coffee: I think it is an acquired taste, or one of those things you have to grow up with, much like Marmite or Vegemite. If it's part of the daily culture for you it's yummy; if not it's vile.

In terms of coffee: aside from Cafe du Monde/Community for NOS, it would be really nice if they could have come up with some local or California based coffee brands to promote, the way they promoted Boudin's etc. I know people recognize Starbucks and all, but it would have been nice to expose visitors to some homegrown local fare there...and the coffee drinkers here have mentioned some good CA candidates.

---------- Post added 11-11-2012 at 07:30 PM ----------

You have seriously made it Christmas in November for me. THANK YOU!!!! I think I am going to Cost Plus/World Market in the neeeear future...

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    RE: Dunkin Donuts coffee: I think it is an acquired taste, or one of those things you have to grow up with, much like Marmite or Vegemite. If it's part of the daily culture for you it's yummy; if not it's vile.

I'm a convert in Sin City. And b/c I had the power to "convert" everyone in my dept., I did. And it was for almost selfish reasons! SB gets on my nerves (as seen above) and *I* had to get the coffee for a month. I did notice that ppl from the mid-west and east coast were less vocal about the SB/DD difference.

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    I'm glad I haven't gotten any attitude for my lack of SB terminology - I'd probably hand their attitude back at them. Any time of day.

I'm glad there is a coffee place, of any drinkable version, placed on my way out of the park. It's harder for me to get that final cup at Disneyland somehow. But the Fiddler Cafe is conveniently close to the entrance/exit.

Ya know, come to think of it I haven't been to SB in 6 years. Maybe they are nicer now? Maybe it is a local snobby thing for their staff members when I did go there? What side of the country/world are you on? In general I get better service in SoCal than I do at home and I haven't been to a SB in Cali before. Since the bad attitudes happened at every SB I went to in this area, I assumed it was a SB thing. It could very well be a local thing. Interesting.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• Minion

Starbucks' coffee is way too bitter for me. Undrinkable.
    There's a 7-11 at Katella and Harbor with fresh coffee all the time.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    I'm a convert in Sin City. And b/c I had the power to "convert" everyone in my dept., I did. And it was for almost selfish reasons! SB gets on my nerves (as seen above) and *I* had to get the coffee for a month. I did notice that ppl from the mid-west and east coast were less vocal about the SB/DD difference.
    I had NO idea they had DD in your city! Wow. I didn't think the chain went that far west.

It's probably like the old pizza debate; different parts of the country have different ways of preparing pizza, and each region hates what the others do. East Coast seems to have less coffee chains in general, compared to the West: NYC just got Tim Horton's in the past few years and I think they JUST opened the first Coffee Bean. There's no Peet's; no Tanner's...so they're used to having very different coffee than out here, perhaps.

Dunkin' Donuts is in California now?
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Only a few. There are a lot in Vegas and Pheonix, so expect more.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Emelius View Post
    And I hate the names they have for sizes. Why is a grande a small???
    A grande is not a small. Back in the day, when Starbucks wasn't known outside of Seattle, they only had two sizes, short and tall. Not sure if you still can, but you used to still be able to order a short, it just wasn't on the menu. As they grew and expanded and realized they sold far more tall sizes and even had requests for larger, they altered their menu and added grande (means big). After a little more time, they realized they still had requests for a larger size so they did away with the poorly selling short and added the venti (means 20) which is 24oz. So for quite some time we've had the Tall (original large), the Grande (old large) and the Venti (the current large). Now they are adding another size bigger, the Trenta (means 30) at 31oz. So the names actually make sense, especially the grande, venti and trenta. The tall is a hold over from the original days. So in order of size we have:
    Short
    Tall
    Grande
    Venti
    Trenta

They are still in the same S, M, L order. It's not like they mixed them up so that they are in some mysterious order.

Coming from someone who absolutely detests the taste of coffee, it's not that hard. I do enjoy Starbucks' hot chocolate though.

For those asking what it looks like, here is a Google image search with quite a few results. https://www.google.com/search?q=star...w=1568&bih=775

The theme is wonderfully done and the "Starbucks" brand is rarely seen. The name on the outside of the building fits the Buena Vista Street theme and inside, there is almost no branding. The bakery items are largely Disney items.
    Last edited by mycroft16; 11-11-2012 at 10:57 PM.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Starbucks' coffee is way too bitter for me. Undrinkable.
    There's a 7-11 at Katella and Harbor with fresh coffee all the time.
    exactly how i felt when i dranked one. i will stick to regular doughnut shops coffe better.

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    Intelligentsia coffee! It's the best coffee on the western hemisphere. And its a California original that started in Venice. There are 5 locations in Cali and some on the east coast. Plus they have the BEST hot coco.
    Wikipedia tells me half of France is in the western hemisphere, and I can assure you even the worst coffee in France is better than the best coffee in the US.

• Foolish Mortal

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Emelius View Post
    I wish they would bring Dunkin' Donuts to Disney instead. Starbucks Coffee tastes awful to me, and it is way overpriced. And I hate the names they have for sizes. Why is a grande a small??? Just call it a small medium or large! Dunkin' Donuts makes the best coffee known to man. Perhaps I am biased, since I live in New England now. Who is with me on this?

But yeah they are overpriced.

---------- Post added 11-11-2012 at 11:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Yeah we have a few of them in the central valley.

"So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time."- Green Day
    "The harder you work, the luckier you get."- Billie Joe Armstrong
    "This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Quote Originally Posted by Rebekkap View Post

Wikipedia tells me half of France is in the western hemisphere, and I can assure you even the worst coffee in France is better than the best coffee in the US.

Have to go with this. Personally, I think it's the water, based upon the experiences I had.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast