View Poll Results: Could/Should An Updated PeopleMover Replace The Tram To Mickey & Friends Parking?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • It COULD be done and it SHOULD be done!

26 72.22%
  • It COULD be done but it SHOULDN'T be done!

8 22.22%
  • It COULDN'T be done!

2 5.56%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• My Children's Father

Re: Could/Should An Updated PeopleMover Replace The Tram To Mickey & Friends Parking?

Quote Originally Posted by choco choco View Post
    That's the first time I've ever heard somebody complain about something being "too efficient." I didn't even know they held the trams up if the esplanade got too crowded (I never park at Mickey and Friends), is that really true?

I don't know why Disneyland still runs the parking trams. It's been obvious to me that moving walkways ending at Downtown Disney were the best way to go, as they were had a higher throughput, don't need staff, need little maintenance and made everybody walk through the shopping. Universal does this and never has there been a complaint.
    Whether by design or by accident, the trams seem to be in balance with the esplanade. I don't know if they have ever had such a problem that they stopped the trams from delivering to the esplanade, but if the moving sidewalk can deliver people at a rate that is greater than the security tents (the real bottleneck) can handle, what happens?
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Fastest Man Alive

Re: Could/Should An Updated PeopleMover Replace The Tram To Mickey & Friends Parking?

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    If a tram fails....no big deal. Tow it out of the way and all is good. If a people mover system fails....well hope you all like walking to mickey and friends
    Exactly. And the whole system doesn't need to go down for refurbishment. The trams can also have strollers loaded onto them. They can also be held up extra time for those with special needs and mobility concerns. There are really a ton of reasons that the trams are better suited than the Peoplemover, even given how flabbergastingly efficient the Peoplemover functioned as a people eating attraction.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

• Sock Puppet

umm....no

• Sshhh, being very quiet

^^^exactly what I was going to say..

But it's a funny thing..my mom just found a picture of her and my sister at Disneyland in 1983 with a picture of People Mover just behind them...it was a neat find

• Sock Puppet

^ but clara. it should never EVER replace the tram. EVER. the tram to some people is nostalgic, and the 1st ride of the day.. to kids it's " i am really at disneyland mommy!!".. so no leave the tram.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    ^ but clara. it should never EVER replace the tram. EVER. the tram to some people is nostalgic, and the 1st ride of the day.. to kids it's " i am really at disneyland mommy!!".. so no leave the tram.
    Oh I agree. That is why I agreed with your "um...no"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    The same could have been said for the PeopleMover. Instead of the tram being the first/last ride, the PeopleMover would be the first and last in this scenario.

I don't know running costs, but it would seem that a PeopleMover would be more efficient to get people from A to B in the morning. I worry that everyone is trying to get to Mickey and Friends at night that the wait would be unbearable.

If all the airports can do it why can't Disney? It was Disney that convinced the airports to do it in the first place.

People will argue that it's too expensive to do it today with the current climate of regulations and cost restrictions. But locations are doing it today. Tampa International Airport is in the process of extending its people mover network to its new proposed transit center.

Planning a better Tampa airport - Tampa Bay Times

If they can do it, why can't Disney?
    Last edited by PecosBill; 11-12-2012 at 11:45 AM.

I always wondered why they don't just build a people mover system or a moving walkway from M&F to the esplanade. That would save on fuel and labor costs.
    397 or 406 miles too far from DLR, depending on who you ask...

Though note, if they build a people mover, it probably won't resemble the open air ride of the 1959 Tomorrowland, it will more than likely resemble those present at most municipal airports or along the west side of the Vegas strip.

Though it would be nice if it had a speed ramp load system like the current Magic Kingdom WEDWay PeopleMover. It would greatly increase capacity as compared to larger trains that stop and load/unload at each station.

It would also be nice if you could roll aboard with your stroller w/o having to fold it up.

---------- Post added 11-12-2012 at 02:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    It could be an even larger, higher capacity Peoplemover. And CMs (one per train) should ride in the back car in a standing position and a camera in the front car should (with the CM) deter bad behavior. People actually died on Disneyland's Peoplemover, tempted to mischief--especially jumping from one car to another--by the slow speeds. (See David Koenig's excellent book, MouseTales.)
    Why do you even need a cast member on board? You don't have anyone on board any of the airport movers.

---------- Post added 11-12-2012 at 02:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bisforbrittney View Post
    in my opinion, the monorail is like, a modern day peoplemover that serves the same purpose of getting people to and from the park. though with planning and money, it could be done, i think the tram in place now is much more efficient and cheaper than a new peoplemover, so it shouldn't be done.
    Walt's master plan for EPCOT (the city not the park) included a network of PeopleMovers AND Monorails. PeopleMovers were for continuous local transportation and the Monorails for higher capacity longer distance transportation.

Each mode had its pros and cons.
    Last edited by PecosBill; 11-12-2012 at 11:46 AM.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    Oh I agree. That is why I agreed with your "um...no"
    i know girly!

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    The same could have been said for the PeopleMover. Instead of the tram being the first/last ride, the PeopleMover would be the first and last in this scenario.

I don't know running costs, but it would seem that a PeopleMover would be more efficient to get people from A to B in the morning. I worry that everyone is trying to get to Mickey and Friends at night that the wait would be unbearable.
    Tram wait at the end of the night, no matter the time the park closes whether it be 8pm or midnight, the wait is horrible already as it is!! So having a people mover would not be as fast, people mover is slow, tram is a lot faster moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    Whether by design or by accident, the trams seem to be in balance with the esplanade. I don't know if they have ever had such a problem that they stopped the trams from delivering to the esplanade, but if the moving sidewalk can deliver people at a rate that is greater than the security tents (the real bottleneck) can handle, what happens?
    I can solve this problem. Eliminate the security checkpoints. They are a useless charade.

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    ^^^exactly what I was going to say..

But it's a funny thing..my mom just found a picture of her and my sister at Disneyland in 1983 with a picture of People Mover just behind them...it was a neat find
    awesome!
    For the love of Disney....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12