View Poll Results: Could/Should An Updated PeopleMover Replace The Tram To Mickey & Friends Parking?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • It COULD be done and it SHOULD be done!

26 72.22%
  • It COULD be done but it SHOULDN'T be done!

8 22.22%
  • It COULDN'T be done!

2 5.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Could/Should An Updated PeopleMover Replace The Tram To Mickey & Friends Parking?

Imagine an updated (but still recognizable) PeopleMover that would take people to and from the Mickey & Friends parking structure. An old favorite could return and be used for a practical purpose. It would pretty much follow the same path between the parking and the main gate.

Note that this has nothing to do with returning the PeopleMover to Tomorrowland...that discussion has taken place ad nauseam.

There are three options for this poll:

• It COULD be done and it SHOULD be done!
    • It COULD be done but it SHOULDN'T be done!
    • It COULDN'T be done!

• Nic

Re: Could/Should An Updated PeopleMover Replace The Tram To Mickey & Friends Parking?

That'd be so cool! But I think Disney wouldn't want to replace the efficient tram w/ something that would require money and work.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• former CM

Re: Could/Should An Updated PeopleMover Replace The Tram To Mickey & Friends Parking?

It could be an even larger, higher capacity Peoplemover. And CMs (one per train) should ride in the back car in a standing position and a camera in the front car should (with the CM) deter bad behavior. People actually died on Disneyland's Peoplemover, tempted to mischief--especially jumping from one car to another--by the slow speeds. (See David Koenig's excellent book, MouseTales.)

• a damsel not in distress

in my opinion, the monorail is like, a modern day peoplemover that serves the same purpose of getting people to and from the park. though with planning and money, it could be done, i think the tram in place now is much more efficient and cheaper than a new peoplemover, so it shouldn't be done.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

If a tram fails....no big deal. Tow it out of the way and all is good. If a people mover system fails....well hope you all like walking to mickey and friends
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

They could build a giant looping circuit around the resort with stops at Mickey and Friends, then DTD monorail station (so people will have to walk through DTD, increasing potential profits for Disney), then Grand California Hotel, then Convention Center, then Toy Story Lot/third gate/Gardenwalk, then future Pumba parking structure, then Transportation hub, then around Disneyland back to Mickey and Friends.

I guess it would be like WDW's MK monorail. It would certainly be the most efficient way of getting people around the resort.

Today, I feel like driving through a cursed temple, taking a tour of a haunted antebellum mansion, plunging down a waterfall in a hollowed-out log, bobsledding down a famous swiss mountain, traveling through the darkest recesses of space, and watching fireworks explode over a fantastical castle.

Yeah, that sounds fun.

• Minion

I would be interested in seeing that.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Drewfilmboy View Post
    They could build a giant looping circuit around the resort with stops at Mickey and Friends, then DTD monorail station (so people will have to walk through DTD, increasing potential profits for Disney), then Grand California Hotel, then Convention Center, then Toy Story Lot/third gate/Gardenwalk, then future Pumba parking structure, then Transportation hub, then around Disneyland back to Mickey and Friends. . .
    I don't want to wait for that many stops, Drewfilmboy.
    Good ol' human body improving, green walking is the future.
    And if it stopped at Downtown Disney & Gardenwalk, you increase the possibility of tipsy folks who are parking for free (at D.town D) there joyriding it.

I'd prefer it let people off outside the parks, but then pick people up to go back to the parking lot from inside of the parks. Two stops. Nah. On second thought keep the parking lot trams and just build a new OSHA approved Peoplemover track inside of Tomprrowland, possibly running close to the borders of Fantasyland and the Main St. hub. And do this in a year or two. Disney, pretend you're Universal Orlando in 2012 building Transformers, or better yet, top them. Pretend you're like a more technically advanced Walt in 1954 making Disneyland in a year.

Every day without the Peoplemover is a day that Michael Eisner, Paul Pressler and Jay Rasulo win. When you ride a Peoplemover or a monorail, you ride with Walt.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I don't want to wait for that many stops, Drewfilmboy.

If you remember, the PeopleMover never stops.....but I know what you mean.

build a new OSHA approved Peoplemover track inside of Tomprrowland,

So much for keeping this from becoming another discussion about the PeopleMover in Tomorrowland.......

• Under that tree again!

When DLR has done plans to expand it had a different plan to get guests to the gates.

Moving sidewalks.

They can easily go under and over opsticles to keep them mainly on the ground to make them cheaper to build. They are cheaper to build than monrails, and people movers. They can easily run in reverse to be used in the direction traffic demands. When they break the people can keep on walking. Stroller, WCs, and ECV can use them.

Until teleporting is inventing, moving sidewalks are a great solution for moving people that distance.

• My Children's Father

Moving sidewalks could be too efficient. If things are getting too crowded in the esplanade (ticket/gate lines get too long), they'll have to shut down the sidewalks, and then you have to walk, instead of holding guests at the parking facilities, where you can wait to take the PM/monorail/shuttlebus/teleporter/whatever.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    Moving sidewalks could be too efficient. If things are getting too crowded in the esplanade (ticket/gate lines get too long), they'll have to shut down the sidewalks, and then you have to walk, instead of holding guests at the parking facilities, where you can wait to take the PM/monorail/shuttlebus/teleporter/whatever.
    People would get on and off them just as fast as they get on and off the M&F esculators. Also Disney has in fact planned to use them to get guest from parking to the Esplanade.

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    That's the first time I've ever heard somebody complain about something being "too efficient." I didn't even know they held the trams up if the esplanade got too crowded (I never park at Mickey and Friends), is that really true?

I don't know why Disneyland still runs the parking trams. It's been obvious to me that moving walkways ending at Downtown Disney were the best way to go, as they were had a higher throughput, don't need staff, need little maintenance and made everybody walk through the shopping. Universal does this and never has there been a complaint.

•   
    • Minion

Universal does still have those trams that zoom you up the hill, though...

IMHO it would be a huge expense for something that really isn't needed right now. The trams work. A moving walkway reminds me of being at the airport (not a pleasant welcome to Disneyland!) and the People Mover...well...there's the monorail, and aside from that I don't think most people would be fascinated by it anymore. They just want to get to the park or get back to their cars so they can go home.

---------- Post added 11-11-2012 at 07:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    If a tram fails....no big deal. Tow it out of the way and all is good. If a people mover system fails....well hope you all like walking to mickey and friends
    That's what I was thinking, too. If a PM or moving sidewalk fail there's little way to circumvent it; if a tram breaks down they have a bunch of others to make up for it.

i use 2 L♥v this ride. I v been hoping they would bring it back. Think it's fun☺

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast