Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• The doctor is in

Re: Is *anything* in Tomorrowland futuristic?

No, nothing in Tomorrowland is really futuristic.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I'd also say that the Astro-Orbitor could fit in with the idea of "capturing the dream of space travel," especially with the steampunk theming...that was such a huge thing at the turn of the (19th to 20th) century.
    me too!
    For the love of Disney....

• formerly very helpful

If we're talking about what they should do, I think it has to represent a living, thriving place. A real community where people live and work. There should be facades and buildings representing futuristic homes and offices. Maybe even models of vehicles zipping around the buildings, showing that there is life there. While they can't really predict the future, they could still go for a fantastical future, maybe ala' the Jetsons or something. Maybe even buildings/homes we could tour, seeing their robot butlers, futuristic flying cars, and so on. Re-theme Buzz Lightyear to be about the "real" Buzz, and not just an animated toy. Make Autopia a tour of a futustic environment, complete with animatronics.
    Just a couple of thoughts I've had. I'm sure more creative people could come up with even better.

• Minion

Tomorrowland is definitely the weakest land of Disneyland, but yet it houses two of my top favorites at the park, Space Mountain and Star Tours. I think bringing Mission Space to Disneyland would definitely fit the bill for "tomorrow" or even doing a different planet instead of Mars. The thing that baffles me is Autopia. I suppose they keep it around because kids enjoy it, but what parent living in So Cal can honestly say they enjoy that attraction after spending 2 hours in traffic? And the cars still use GAS! There's a great big beautiful tomorrow indeed.
    Jeff Wayne

• "I Break Things"

the prices! They're "out of this world"!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    the prices! They're "out of this world"!

• Hello Dolly.

Most of the rides are not futuristic anymore.

But I'd say the monorail, Space Mountain & Star Tours are.

Some rides just need a re-do, like Autopia & The Submarines can easily be rethemed.

I also wish they made a stronger theme for the train station. It's not futuristic, but they can easily make it look like the train timetraveled into Tomorrowland.

Buzz, well it's just okay for now. Probably least of my concerns after what I stated & the whole land needing a new look. At least at night the place looks futuristic-ish.

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by Michael808702 View Post
    they should incorporate some green technology into Tomorrow land because were heading for a better and cleaner tomorrow...
    Interesting idea. I've always loved the edible plants in Tomorrowland conveying the idea of sustainability. One of the land's nice little details.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Riiiight...Travel at light speed, plasma beam weapons, space stations the size of moons, force fields...all very ancient and primitive technologies. Practially the stone-age.

People who think that Star Wars doesn't represent the future because of four small words clearly can't see the forest for the trees.
    Great post. The idea of possible intergalactic space travel is what I love most about the ride. The queue in particular does a fantastic job at conveying a very believable feel of a space terminal in the future. From the moment you step inside the main building and see the screens with travel destinations and their departure times/gate numbers/flight numbers, and then pass by the baggage check, under the window to see the silhouettes of other travelers, and proceed through the security check, you feel like you're in this space terminal sometime in the future where intergalactic trips to alien planets are as common as a trip to another state in the present day. That's really my favorite part of Stars Tours.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    If we're talking about what they should do, I think it has to represent a living, thriving place. A real community where people live and work. There should be facades and buildings representing futuristic homes and offices. Maybe even models of vehicles zipping around the buildings, showing that there is life there. While they can't really predict the future, they could still go for a fantastical future, maybe ala' the Jetsons or something. Maybe even buildings/homes we could tour, seeing their robot butlers, futuristic flying cars, and so on. Re-theme Buzz Lightyear to be about the "real" Buzz, and not just an animated toy. Make Autopia a tour of a futustic environment, complete with animatronics.
    Just a couple of thoughts I've had. I'm sure more creative people could come up with even better.
    I think this idea is a step in the right direction. The land desperately needs to develop a solid, certain identity instead of this confusing mush of science fiction and cartoon characters and outdated ideas. Something that will create harmony and cohesiveness through out the land. Until this definite indentity is created, I can't see the land reaching its full potential.

The most futuristic thing in Tomorrowland is one that many people don't even realize exists: ASIMO.

I wish they would get rid of the Astro Orbitor and the rock work. It sticks out like a sore thumb now that they abandoned the copper/Jules Verne look everywhere else. I'd love for them to just bring back the Rocket Jets. The rocket tower was probably the most iconic thing in the whole land and now without the PeopleMover or Rocket Jets it is an eyesore.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Pretty much agree here. The long time ago piece in Star Wars s taken a bit too literally for a SCI-FI piece. A lot of the technologies used in Star Wars/Star Tours represent a future.

Space mountain I would say is somewhat futuristic as well. The rest of it can be thrown out and re-deone. Although i would be bit hesitant to have futuristic food I am quite ok with current day offerings
    Mmmm...Soylent Green anyone????
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Speaking of food...

I wouldn't mind seeing Pizza Port being turned into an international food court. If the rumored Iron Man ride is built it could be themed as part of the Stark Expo World Showcase with a few nods to Walt Disney's original vision for E.P.C.O.T. thrown in. Or they could theme it as a food court where a wide variety of human foods are offered for alien and humans alike to try.

I would like to see this because I'm sure most of us would agree Pizza Port could use a new menu. An international theme would let them try a few new types of items while still allowing them to keep popular items like pizza and the chicken fusili pasta. They could add Asian noodles, Indian food, Brazillian BBQ, etc.

The second reason I would like to see this is because the future currently presented is kind of scary. Buzz, EO, and Star Tours all involve a lot of shooting things with lasers. If Innoventions becomes Iron Man you have another ride that will likely involve shooting things. Space Mountain is a fairly cold experience that gets invaded by an alien ghost every Halloween. So while I'd love an attraction that shows the hope and promise of a future made possible by science, I'd settle for a food court. They could even create a smaller version of the old Mary Blair mural in there if for no other reason than to remind us that one day the human race will outgrow our prejudices.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Soylent Green is MICE!!!!

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    The most futuristic thing in Tomorrowland is one that many people don't even realize exists: ASIMO.

I wish they would get rid of the Astro Orbitor and the rock work. It sticks out like a sore thumb now that they abandoned the copper/Jules Verne look everywhere else. I'd love for them to just bring back the Rocket Jets. The rocket tower was probably the most iconic thing in the whole land and now without the PeopleMover or Rocket Jets it is an eyesore.
    Very true! I totally forgot about ASIMO. He's so tucked away in an easily forgettable attraction that, as incredible as he truly is, he's easy to miss.

• Sock Puppet

well back in the day lots of things in tomorrowland was futuristic! AT the time it was.. but technology has evolved as has the world and so now to us none of that stuff that is in tomorrowland looks futiristic..

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    well back in the day lots of things in tomorrowland was futuristic! AT the time it was.. but technology has evolved as has the world and so now to us none of that stuff that is in tomorrowland looks futiristic..
    So Mission to Mars, Adventure Thru Inner Space, and "a peaceful and unified world" represented trivial things that we take for granted now? Where can I get an app for those?

What really seems to have become obsolete in Tomorrowland is enthusiasm and optimism for what the future holds, as well as vision--fundamental shortcomings of a land that has become fundamentally about marketing and consumerism instead of ideas. Sadly, the same principle could be applied to the rest of the park in the present day, although Tomorrowland does suffer the greatest from it in practice because it has changed the most. That should tell us something.
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 11-15-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast