Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is *anything* in Tomorrowland futuristic?

"Tomorrow can be a wonderful age. Our scientists today are opening the doors of the Space Age to achievements that will benefit our children and generations to come. The Tomorrowland attractions have been designed to give you an opportunity to participate in adventures that are a living blueprint of our future." - Walt Disney

Is anything in Tomorrowland a "living blueprint of our future"?

In my opinion...

Astro Orbiter - NO - Dumbo, but with old-timey looking spaceships that look like something from a Flash Gordon serial
    Autopia - NO - Noisy, smelly golf carts
    Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters - NO - A tie-in with a movie that apparently takes place in the present
    Captain EO - NO - This was pretty corny when I first saw it in 1986
    Monorail - NO - Major metropolitan areas now have monorails or something more advanced
    Railroad - NO - No explanation needed
    Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage - NO - Ugh
    Innoventions - SORT OF - A lousy attraction, but at least it offers some possible upcoming high-technology
    Space Mountain - SORT OF - There is an attempt to capture the imagination of space travel
    Starcade - NO - Hopefully the future isn't just wasted space
    Star Tours - NO - "A long time ago...." doesn't really scream "tomorrow", does it?

All that being said, I like Tomorrowland. I love Space Mountain, Star Tours, and even Buzz Lightyear. But the only thing I see that's futuristic is high prices on food and merchandise.

But does anything technically belong based on Walt's quote?

• formerly very helpful

Re: Is *anything* in Tomorrowland futuristic?

I think simply the idea of a positive future, nomatter how much it is based in fantasy supports Walt's notion of Tomorrowland. That said, not really much speaks the future, so much as sci-fi there.

• Minion

I believe that Space Mountain and the Monorail are the most futuristic rides in Tomorrowland. Although Star Tours is supposed to take place a long time ago, it still evokes futuristic concepts such as the Starspeeder 1000 being an efficient way in transporting people to different planets, or presents places like Coruscant to give a view of what the architecture of a futuristic city could potentially look like.

•   
    • Minion

I'd also say that the Astro-Orbitor could fit in with the idea of "capturing the dream of space travel," especially with the steampunk theming...that was such a huge thing at the turn of the (19th to 20th) century.

• Minion

The only thing worth keeping is Space Mountain. Otherwise they should just put an entirely new Tomorrowland in.

• Banned User

Yeah, not futuristic enough. Futuristic Tommorrowland would be more fun and popular. Lets bring back the Hall of Chemistry, the Tommorrowland Art Corner, the Kids of the Kingdom stage show, the Flying Saucers, and America Sings. Seriously, enough with the Tommorrowland bashing thats all over micechat. Tommorrowland with all of its flaws, is still better today than it ever was. And before anyone mentions the Peoplmover, try to remember that it was removed because of its decline in popularity

• Minion

they should incorporate some green technology into Tomorrow land because were heading for a better and cleaner tomorrow, so mix that with some space age stuff and maybe although my personal opinion add like tron type buildings with the glowing beams of light outlining the buildings and stuff really scream future to me. Space Mountain and Monorail are very futuristic we have a monorail in my city but they don't look so futuristic as Disneyland's, the railroad cant do anything about that so just leave it how it is, Star tours can stay just because it has to do with space travel buzz is alright just re do the facade, umm everything needs a complete redo at the moment.

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• Banned User

Tomorrowland COULD be futuristic once again...but that'd take money, and, you know, Iger would rather spend the money on buying other companies, not making Disneyland better.

Quote Originally Posted by misfits138 View Post
    Tommorrowland with all of its flaws, is still better today than it ever was.
    At least it used to actually be about tomorrow--even Mission to Mars would still be futuristic today, certainly. I'm sure that something futuristic could have been done with the subs, for example, but the intention seems to be toward self-promotion and characters instead of mankind's future. That's why we have Nemo instead of something cool and genuinely futuristic like the undersea exploration of other worlds (one of NASA's real long-term goals is to explore the oceans of Europa, Enceladus, Titan, et al.)--imagine what we could find there. Now even the monorails are themselves characters--pitiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael808702 View Post
    they should incorporate some green technology into Tomorrow land because were heading for a better and cleaner tomorrow,
    That's a valid and worthwhile idea. However, I seriously doubt that all the "green" power we could ever muster could replace our heavy reliance on so-called "fossil fuels," especially with an ever-growing population that depends more and more on electricity, and obviously nothing is replenishing those fuels, which will someday run out if we don't stop using them. What this makes for, realistically, is a bleak future that few wish to even contemplate. How can this be averted? I bet that a lot of people who have given these matters serious, pragmatic thought are hoping that controlled nuclear fusion with a net energy gain can someday (sooner rather than later) become feasible. These days people are getting antsy about nuclear power plants, which are currently based on fission and use dangerous materials for fuel, but fusion power, if it is ever achieved in practical terms, should be much safer. It is a real-world goal that would have profound implications, and it is definitely futuristic--it could bring the "atomic age" back to Tomorrowland in a way that is compatible with "green" initiatives and a better tomorrow. Heck, even the Autopia could use fusion-powered cars, complete with visual and audio effects--probably not that realistic, but you have to do something to replace the feel and sound of the current gasoline motors in terms of rider experience, rather than just using plain electric cars.

Who says there are no ideas for a real, futuristic Tomorrowland? There are always things we are working on but cannot do yet, and finding Nemo (like virtually the rest of Tomorrowland) is not about the future!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael808702 View Post
    the railroad cant do anything about that so just leave it how it is,
    That's what's so cool about the railroad, though--how it travels through different realms and times, even though obviously it has to be themed to one particular place and time. I'd be fine with leaving it as-is with regard to Tomorrowland's station, but if we wanted to make it seem more futuristic, then the tunnel could be themed as a time machine, for example, and some changes could be made inside (without disturbing the classic dioramas much, if at all) to support this idea. Maybe this is lame, but it's just a bit of brainstorming that could inspire better ideas.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesOfEight View Post
    Astro Orbiter - NO - Dumbo, but with old-timey looking spaceships that look like something from a Flash Gordon serial
    "Blast off into the outer reaches of the solar system on this retro rocket ride." That is how the Disneyland website describes this ride. Since we haven't sent a manned ship any further than our own moon, I think reaching the outer edge of the solar system is very futuristic. Add to that the fact that these are personal spacecraft that the general public is using and it very much represents what may someday be.

Captain EO - NO - This was pretty corny when I first saw it in 1986
    Just because it is corny doesn't mean it isn't futuristic.

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage - NO - Ugh
    The stupid fish video aside, the day that affordable undersea tourism on a nuclear powered sub is commonplace is the day that this ride no longer fits into Tomorrowland. Until then, it is still futuristic, they should just get rid of the cartoon and make this once again about exploring the ocean depths.

Innoventions - SORT OF - A lousy attraction, but at least it offers some possible upcoming high-technology
    On paper this is a perfect Tomorrowland attraction. The problem is the exhibits aren't updated to stay ahead of the times so you end up with a rotating Best Buy.

Space Mountain - SORT OF - There is an attempt to capture the imagination of space travel
    "Rocket into the outer reaches of darkest space on this high-speed thrill ride that blasts into the future and back. Board a sleek space ship and aim for the stars as Mission Control counts down to the most daring launch of your life!" That is how the Disney website describes this ride. The explanation of how this fits into Tomorrowland is pretty much he same as Astro Orbiter.

Star Tours - NO - "A long time ago...." doesn't really scream "tomorrow", does it?
    Star Wars very much represents the future from Man's perspective. We have not yet achieved the technology represented there. Just because their civilization reached that point a long time ago does not mean that we have. I believe that the ride that is currently there showcases what Man can achieve in the far distant future. After we have mastered space travel and set up colonies on other worlds, interstellar tourism may very well be an everyday occurance. At this point it isn't which is why this fits into Tomorrowland.

And before anyone mentions the Peoplmover, try to remember that it was removed because of its decline in popularity
    Actually the ride was still popular at the end. It was the declining upkeep coupled with the idea of converting it to a thrill ride in the last makeover that did it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    Tomorrowland COULD be futuristic once again...but that'd take money, and, you know, Iger would rather spend the money on buying other companies, not making Disneyland better.
    I think the billion that they just sunk into CA Adventure puts that theory to rest.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Senior Minion

Seriously, enough with the Tommorrowland bashing thats all over micechat. Tommorrowland with all of its flaws, is still better today than it ever was.
    Tomorrowland '67 was an astonishing experience in the context of its time, and a triumph of innovation and creativity. Tomorrowland '98 was a self-conscious mess in the context of its time, and has since devolved into a pathetic joke -- the "3rd world land" of Disney's Anaheim operation. Seriously.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Closed Account

Riiiight...Travel at light speed, plasma beam weapons, space stations the size of moons, force fields...all very ancient and primitive technologies. Practially the stone-age.

People who think that Star Wars doesn't represent the future because of four small words clearly can't see the forest for the trees.

• Team Hail HYDRA

Monorails are still tommarow
    many places have them and many more to come

maglev,now were talking

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Riiiight...Travel at light speed, plasma beam weapons, space stations the size of moons, force fields...all very ancient and primitive technologies. Practially the stone-age.

People who think that Star Wars doesn't represent the future because of four small words clearly can't see the forest for the trees.
    Pretty much agree here. The long time ago piece in Star Wars s taken a bit too literally for a SCI-FI piece. A lot of the technologies used in Star Wars/Star Tours represent a future.

Space mountain I would say is somewhat futuristic as well. The rest of it can be thrown out and re-deone. Although i would be bit hesitant to have futuristic food I am quite ok with current day offerings

no they need to update the whole land...

luv what they did with Star Tours

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast