Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• "I don't like the color"

Re: Is *anything* in Tomorrowland futuristic?

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Soylent Green is MICE!!!!
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

How about the Observatron? When it works it seems to be monitoring space for messages from ET

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfn View Post
    How about the Observatron? When it works it seems to be monitoring space for messages from ET
    That's true, but something like that doesn't work very well on its own in such an uninspiring place as Tomorrowland. Instead of adding to the experience, as intended, it merely seems odd (even a mystery) and out of place.

• AKA - DisneyChris

I think Tomorrowland is VERY futuristic - if we are taking a post apocalyptic future, ie Mad Max!!! With everything rotted and rusting, and in a vast wasteland.

HAPPY NEW YEAR - MAY ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE IN 2013

Now Presenting --- A DAY AT DISNEYLAND - AUDIO ADVENTURE
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

• Nerd

Sadly Tomorrowland is kind of a waste of space right now. But then so is Rivers of America is you really think about it.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    Sadly Tomorrowland is kind of a waste of space right now. But then so is Rivers of America is you really think about it.
    Well, maybe if pirates weren't invading Tom Sawyer Island...

But pirates aside, I still immensely enjoy the atmosphere that the Rivers of America add to New Orleans Square, as well as Frontierland and Critter Country. It's hard to imagine those lands without the beautiful view of the water sparkling in the sun with the Mark Twain slowly making its way around the riverbend. Plus the Mark Twain Riverboat, Sailing Ship Columbia, and the Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes are all wonderful, immersive experiences and a great diversion from the park's more elaborate E-attractions. Their beauty is their simplicity. They effectively serve the purpose that they're intended to serve. So I really wouldn't consider the entire area a "waste of space". Maybe the island at the moment, but not the river itself.

The problem with "tomorrow" is its a moving target. Attractions are outdated as soon as they are built. I think WDI was smart with EuroDisneyland and the substitution of "Discoveryland" for "Tomorrowland". "Discovery" is a much broader concept than "Tomorrow" and all the current attractions (at all the Magic Kingdom Parks) fit into the category of "Discovery" and as so many above have pointed out above, its a stretch to characterize current attractions as "Tomorrow".

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by PecosBill View Post
    The problem with "tomorrow" is its a moving target. Attractions are outdated as soon as they are built. I think WDI was smart with EuroDisneyland and the substitution of "Discoveryland" for "Tomorrowland". "Discovery" is a much broader concept than "Tomorrow" and all the current attractions (at all the Magic Kingdom Parks) fit into the category of "Discovery" and as so many above have pointed out above, its a stretch to characterize current attractions as "Tomorrow".
    Yes, this has been very true in the past, but I don't think it necessarily needs to be. For example, I would love to see an original attraction involving time travel in Tomorrowland, something on par with Pirates of the Caribbean or Haunted Mansion. The possbility of time travel is a very futuristic idea and I don't see it becoming a reality anytime soon. Or perhaps a reincarnation of Adventures Thru Inner Space. I don't see us being able to shrink humans down to the size of a water molecule anytime soon.

And if these ideas do become outdated by the time they're built... who will even care? We'll be too busy traveling through time and having fun shrinking ourselves down to tiny sizes.

O.K. so maybe an Avengers based attraction doesn't fit into the category of Discovery or Tomorrow.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by PecosBill View Post
    O.K. so maybe an Avengers based attraction doesn't fit into the category of Discovery or Tomorrow.
    It depends on the storyline of the attraction.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    It depends on the storyline of the attraction.
    But only if you are already enamoured with the world of the Avengers. For everyone else...not so much.

It's not like Mickey Mouse where nearly everyone has a connection and he is sort of a symbol for the "everyman." The Avengers? Quite a bit detached from anyones life experiences. Except the fanboys of course...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    But only if you are already enamoured with the world of the Avengers. For everyone else...not so much.

It's not like Mickey Mouse where nearly everyone has a connection and he is sort of a symbol for the "everyman." The Avengers? Quite a bit detached from anyones life experiences. Except the fanboys of course...
    Being a fan of the franchise and having it fit into the idea of discovery and tomorrow are two separate things. That is where the storyline of the attraction comes in. If it is nothing more than stopping the Absorbing Man from destroying the city, then it wouldn't appear that it fits in very well.

However if if there is a central story element of clean energy or some technology that will benefit mankind and the Avengers are used as a tool to move that story along, there is a good chance that it will fit those themes.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123