Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

After 12 years off the rails...the Lilly Belle has returned !

Dear MiceChat Community:

Last night (1/10/2006) the Lilly Belle made its first appearance on the Disneyland track in almost 12 years. After being extensively refurbished the beautiful and historical observation/parlor car chugged its way from out of the backstage area and onto the Disneyland railroad track. If you attended yesterday and did not see it, it was because the Lilly Belle was brought out after the park had closed. Only a select few guests who stayed to shop on Main Street the hour the shops stayed open after the 8:00 pm closing, were lucky enough to get a glimpse of this magestic beauty.

As this was a test run, it would appear that the Lilly Belle may be coming out more often on the track in the near future. So get your cameras out and start taking some pictures of this awesome piece of Disneyland history.

-MSEPForever
    Last edited by MSEPForever; 01-11-2006 at 12:29 PM.

• Closed Account

Re: After 12 years off the rails...the Lilly Belle has returned !

Well, that's great news!

If you wish to learn a little bit more about the car you can go here:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm051019sd.htm

Just a quick correction: The car actually had a successful rehab in 1996--only ten years ago--and it rode the rails for several years after that before being taken off again. So even though it may seem longer, it's really only been out of service for maybe 8 or 9 years.

Thanks for the update!
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 01-11-2006 at 02:55 PM.

I'm very excited.

I have a feeling that Disney will be using the observation car to host guests on some of the guided tours again.

Please excuse my ignorance when it comes to the DLRR.

Is there another observation car or caboose ? We saw one on New Years Eve during park hours (11AM or so?) while we were waiting to ride, but didn't get on that train. Now I'm wondering if it was the same.

Thanks!

There is a regular caboose which is used on a regular basis.

One of the four trains of the Disneyland Railroad is a passenger-carrying freight train, and it is the one that features the one and only caboose.

A caboose is the office of the conductor of a freight train, whereas an observation car is intended for passengers.

• Closed Account

Spoken like a true former DRR CM, Pragmatic!

The easiest way to tell that a car is a caboose, is that the caboose has a little observation box, called a "cupola," on the car's roof. Here, in Joe Thompson's photograph, you can see the cupola to good advantage:

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

That's great to hear! Ca'nt wait to see her!

I love the Caboose
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Closed Account

Many (most?) of us will never get the chance to ride in the Lilly Belle.
    However, very often, the caboose is available for the asking. It's one way to see the railroad that's a bit different.

That is great!!! A ride on the Lilly Belle is one of the few things I would LOVE to do. Also one of the few things I haven't done. This is up there with going to Club 33. The things I never pass up, if I get the chance. I WANT TO GO, and take pictures and enjoy. Got to find that pass for the Lilly Belle that I never used.

• Senior Minion

In June I was able to hop on board the caboose. Very interesting. The back area is locked to all passengers but is still visible through the window doors. I hope for the opprutunity to check out the Lilly Belle. I do not expect to ride it because of how exclusive it sounds. I would rather they just allow it to be viewed to take care of it for future visitors.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano
    Many (most?) of us will never get the chance to ride in the Lilly Belle.
    I don't know if that fact will be true in the future. I have a feeling Disney will find some new ways to sell to the general public tickets for the "Lilly Belle" through Guest Relations and Special Events. I'm sure Club 33 members, and their guests, are happy to have the observation car back, though, regardless of whether or not it gets more use.

In any case, the average Disneyland guest will still be able to see the car and look in its windows, if he or she likes. The pictures in Steve's MousePlanet article also do a good job of showing most of the interior.

I just hope that the guest book is kept more secure in the future. The priceless registry containing an impressive array of signatures was stolen several years ago. Whoever has it should give it back, if he or she has any decency, especially now that the car has been restored.

• Who's your DaddyB?

I hope they keep it at least as exclusive as going into Walt's apartment. It would be a shame to make it less exclusive than that. "Club 33" exclusive just isn't very exclusive anymore in regards to something as precious and easily diminished as the Lilly Belle.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    I just hope that the guest book is kept more secure in the future. The priceless registry containing an impressive array of signatures was stolen several years ago. Whoever has it should give it back, if he or she has any decency, especially now that the car has been restored.
    Well, pages from the registry have been turning up on eBay fairly regularly, so it seems whoever had it tore it apart and has been selling it off page by page.

• Closed Account

I've received word from a highly-placed source that the Lilly Belle is ON-LINE right now, hooked to Holiday 5, being pulled by the Ward Kimball! No riders allowed yet. I was also told pictures would be forthcoming tonight on some of the fan sites!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast