Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mischievous Mouse

Do they speed up/slow down rides depending on wait times? Or other factors?

I'm convince that the last visit that Splash Mountain was going a bit faster than it "normally" has in the past, maybe it was just me, I didn't time it.

Anyone else had this impression before?

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Nic

Re: Do they speed up/slow down rides depending on wait times? Or other factors?

Yes, I notice this as well!

A couple months ago, when the park opened, my group went on Splash Mountain. It was a walk on, and we noticed a lot of logs were going with no one in it. We got soaked.

Later that day, when there was an actual line, and a bunch of people, we didn't get as wet​.

So my theory is, that Splash Mountain gets slowed down when not many are riding, meaning there's more water to share, hence us not getting that wet later in the day.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Under that tree again!

On some attractions capacity is increased and reduced to match attendance. This is done by taking ride vehicles on of off that track.

• some assembly required

Good question. I always wondered this too.

On my last trip, me and a few others were watching the logs crest Splash. It was every 7 seconds, and once in a while (every 20-something-th log) would be 1 or 2 seconds late. But it quickly returned to every 7 seconds.

BUT...
    the next day on the first H'ween event, it was down to every 10 seconds. All those added seconds really add up. We noticed that Splash was the least popular e-ticket since ppl didn't want to get their costumes wet.

Now, were they slowing the flow of water (the underside flume pumps)? Did they change the volume of water? Did they dispatch faster or slower?
    We weren't too sure of the answers. We did notice that there was never a big log jam where the regular hold gates are unless the ride went 101. And we noticed that each conveyor lift could move faster/slower if needed.

This question of speeding up water rides came up for POTC and SW too. We were all interested in the answer.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• The doctor is in

The simple answer is yes. I think it is most noticeable on Splash Mountain. I noticed it on my trip last month that we sped through the ride incredibly fast.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Big red truck

The Rapids ride in California Adventure does load balancing, its perhaps the most obvious ride, you'll start seeing the park taking a few Rafts off line in mid afternoon and another batch when it gets dark out.

When it's busy, the big wheel deck is full of rafts edge to edge for loading. When its night time you'll see big gaps between the rafts.

Different rides will have different setups, I'm sure the older ones are less flexible but most of the rides on a rail/path system have a bypass with a hidden [or not so hidden] holding areas for gates.

They can increase capacity with more ride vehicles, but the ride's pace is pretty much a constant. I know they've tweaked the speed between returns, but they don't adjust it to suit the crowds per day.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

• Minion

I went on Pirates and it felt noticably faster because there was a longer line tahn usual outside.

Yes, we also noticed splash seemed much faster than usual when we were there in september. As far as other rides go, I'm not sure...

• I'm not really here

The speed of the ride isn't what changes. The speed of ride vehicle dispatch changes as they bring more vehicles online or take them offline.

With only 2 vehicles on Screamin' you have plenty of time to dispatch each train. With five vehicles operating you have 2 in station (1 just entering and 1 just leaving), one at launch, one midway through track and one coming in to final break section. Much shorter dispatch times.

The more vehicles are on the ride, the faster they have to load and get them out of the station or the whole ride backs up, but the speed of the vehicles through the ride is pretty closely controlled and varies very little. This is true of any ride. Some, like splash, may have a higher volume of water at different times in the day, but the flow rate of water through the attraction should be fairly consistent.
    Last edited by mycroft16; 11-13-2012 at 09:04 AM.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Mischievous Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by CritterCountryGirl View Post
    Yes, we also noticed splash seemed much faster than usual when we were there in september. As far as other rides go, I'm not sure...
    Yep, that's when I was there, and over the years, and dozens of times ridden, it was noticably faster these times.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

In the old abandoned old abandoned amusement park.

I've noticed this too! I hate it when it's speed up, some of those turns bruise me up pretty badly.

• Foolish Mortal

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    The speed of the ride isn't what changes. The speed of ride vehicle dispatch changes as they bring more vehicles online or take them offline.

With only 2 vehicles on Screamin' you have plenty of time to dispatch each train. With five vehicles operating you have 2 in station (1 just entering and 1 just leaving), one at launch, one midway through track and one coming in to final break section. Much shorter dispatch times.

The more vehicles are on the ride, the faster they have to load and get them out of the station or the whole ride backs up, but the speed of the vehicles through the ride is pretty closely controlled and varies very little. This is true of any ride. Some, like splash, may have a higher volume of water at different times in the day, but the flow rate of water through the attraction should be fairly consistent.
    Nice to know this!
    I was waiting for a reply with a full explanation lol.

"So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time."- Green Day
    "The harder you work, the luckier you get."- Billie Joe Armstrong
    "This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

They don't actually speedup or slow sown the boat rides (itsw, pirates, splash). The water jets are on or off, they can't adjust the speed. However there are break locations in the ride to maintain proper distance after a ride element (i.e. drops, unload); and the more boats they add to the track you often get a log jam of boats behind the break increasing the length of the ride duration.

The same thing goes for coasters, the more trains added to the track, the longer the wait at the bottom of lifts and just before unload.

However, they do have the ability to speed up and slow down omnimover rides. Horizons was notoriously famous for having operators speed up or slow down the ride system.

• AKA - DisneyChris

yes - Pecos Bill is right - the number of boats operating can slow or speed up the ride times. during busier times the rides actually run a tad slower because more boats are operating.

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast