Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: How could the parking be more efficient in Disneyland Resort?

Big problem is that there is a huge discount program in effect that no one (especially here at MiceChat) is willing to cut.
    Too many one-person cars entering the structure, because parking is "free" to them (it was included in the PAP, or they paid for an annual parking pass).
    The structure was built with a higher average passenger per car than what is currently being parked.

So, parking problems are caused by annual parking passes, so eliminate the annual parking pass program. Parking fees could then be lowered and still bring in more revenue.

---------- Post added 11-13-2012 at 09:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Why not add an entrance right at the parking lot? It doesn't make sense to force everyone to walk to the main entrance. You'll enter at Critter Country if you want to visit Disneyland. Thus the tram usage is cut in half. The other half will use tram for the DCA entrance.

They can fix the lack of parking spaces by adding a second parking structure. Why are they hesitating in building it?

I have a problem with the tram loading style. Perhaps they should come up with a better design that can hold more guests. I hate the open air design which doesn't work when it is very hot or cold and windy.
    DL should be rotated 90 degrees clockwise (looking down) so that main entrance is closer to parking structure. Easy.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    So, parking problems are caused by annual parking passes, so eliminate the annual parking pass program. Parking fees could then be lowered and still bring in more revenue.
    There is no reason to assume increased fees (Disney never lowers their prices) will reduce the number of people driving solo into the park. Prices already went up. Annual passes are already expensive. Disney has their money. Anyways, if APs go to the park on average once a month, it costs them $10 to park based on Annual pass parking fee. It's a nice discount for customers. I suppose customers like an imaginary discount. Disney likes its money upfront. You have to weigh the advantages of getting money upfront with potential of more spending in the park. Or is it better to just nickel and dime people until they don't want to bother anymore.

De-incentivizing attendance is not how theme parks work.

DL should be rotated 90 degrees clockwise (looking down) so that main entrance is closer to parking structure. Easy.
    Right.
    Last edited by StevenW; 11-13-2012 at 09:37 AM.

• Under that tree again!

The cost is offset with the parking fees.
    At $15 a day, assuming the guest is paying full price not a prorated AP parking fee it takes a couple years to pay for a spot at the minimum, and this doesn't even consider operational and maintenance. It's a major investment.

As for the 15 days a year, you're using an incorrect metric. Just because they might borrow other parking spaces on those days doesn't mean on the remaining days, the parking situation is severly impacted. On those rare days, employees are forced to use the Anaheim Stadium and Honda Center.
    This is something new, and was barely needed.

Solve the parking structure and transportation problem now for the future.
    In reality you delay the cost until it's nessecary. Spend the money for the need, not the hope for the need.

If they are going to build gate 3 and eliminate the Toy Story lot, they would loose the a few thousand parking spots, and need spots for thousands of more guests. To solves this problem you build more parking which ideally opens the same day you close Toy Story lot, and build more parking that ideally opens on the day the 3rd gate opens.

What may actually happen in the future is a shift in trends. Anaheim is planning to change how many people get into the resort area. Parking may shift to the east and and many employees and guests may not arrive in cars.

• Diva Extrodinaire

Why not just convert the Simba parking lot in to a two or three-level structure? They could couple it with an eventual re-theme of the Paradise Pier hotel.
    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME

• Sock Puppet

unless they hook up a crane and transport you by air to the main gates, i just do not see how you can make parking more efficient at DLR.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    At $15 a day, assuming the guest is paying full price not a prorated AP parking fee it takes a couple years to pay for a spot at the minimum, and this doesn't even consider operational and maintenance. It's a major investment.
    The parking lot is corporate debt. It isn't immediately paid off. Why are you so concerned about paying for it? The lack of parking impacts customer spending, a source of revenue. In finance, it is what is often called opportunity cost. If not spent on parking, what else do you spend it on? It's not like you can't spend it. Disney will invest on other money making opportunities, but if they can't get people to go, it is money gone forever.

In reality you delay the cost until it's nessecary. Spend the money for the need, not the hope for the need.
    The need exists now. Attendance exceeded the original forecast for the DCA in 2001. Didn't Al Lutz cited attendance that showed increase demand.

Parking lot construction should be forward looking since Disney is obviously looking at expansion of Tomorrowland and Frontierland. It isn't a mere guess, but a potential reality.

If they are going to build gate 3 and eliminate the Toy Story lot, they would loose the a few thousand parking spots, and need spots for thousands of more guests. To solves this problem you build more parking which ideally opens the same day you close Toy Story lot, and build more parking that ideally opens on the day the 3rd gate opens.

What may actually happen in the future is a shift in trends. Anaheim is planning to change how many people get into the resort area. Parking may shift to the east and and many employees and guests may not arrive in cars.
    The third gate means they will require another 2 additional lots, one for employees and one for guests for a total of 4 parking structures. They need to build the employee parking structure first to accommodate the existing parks, but at the same time, it must be much larger to accommodate the third gate. The third gate means another parking structure at the same size of Mickey and Friends is required for the guests.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by MTdizzle94 View Post
    Why not just convert the Simba parking lot in to a two or three-level structure? They could couple it with an eventual re-theme of the Paradise Pier hotel.
    Parking is sorely needed on the east side. There is plenty of parking in the west side. A structure at the Pumbaa lot is badly need to better service those people who come from Central OC and south of that.

Get discounts with more people you have in your car. Singles, even with PAP free parking pass, must pay $5.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    Get discounts with more people you have in your car. Singles, even with PAP free parking pass, must pay $5.

that would defeat the purpose of a Premium AP with free parking then. SO no that is not a good idea..

• Under that tree again!

The parking lot is corporate debt. It isn't immediately paid off. Why are you so concerned about paying for it? The lack of parking impacts customer spending, a source of revenue. In finance, it is what is often called opportunity cost. If not spent on parking, what else do you spend it on? It's not like you can't spend it. Disney will invest on other money making opportunities, but if they can't get people to go, it is money gone forever.

The need exists now. Attendance exceeded the original forecast for the DCA in 2001. Didn't Al Lutz cited attendance that showed increase demand.
    They aren't loosing money because of lost opportunity. As I mentioned before very few days does demand oustrip Disney available parking spots. When it does the extra spots are still nearby. Besides that on the busiest days when parking lots are full, there are news reports that already scare off customers, and also there aren't enough registers to put your dollards into.

If you have money and spend it on something not needed, the money is gone. If you have money and don't spend it, you can earn interest or use it to repay debt. Disney isn't going to build 20 hotels, 5 cruise ships, 12 new gates, produce 15 new tv series, 20 movies, for unknown demand.

Parking lot construction should be forward looking since Disney is obviously looking at expansion of Tomorrowland and Frontierland. It isn't a mere guess, but a potential reality.
    If they know they need more parking they will build it. Not a guess an actual fact that is current at this very moment. Disney is not going to risk spending hundreds of millions for something they don't know they will need.

The third gate means another parking structure at the same size of Mickey and Friends is required for the guests.
    That is far from correct. Mickey and Friends wasn't built to service DCA, it was built to replace the old parking lot and serve the guests of both parks.

As I have said when the need it they will build it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    They aren't loosing money because of lost opportunity. As I mentioned before very few days does demand oustrip Disney available parking spots. When it does the extra spots are still nearby. Besides that on the busiest days when parking lots are full, there are news reports that already scare off customers, and also there aren't enough registers to put your dollards into.
    The extra parking lots are revenue given away to other companies. By encouraging the use of other parking lots, they also give incentive to spend money off-site.

As I have said when the need it they will build it.
    Because they so obviously don't need it. We are here to complain about lack of efficiency. I suppose they are doing just fine.

The scaring off of customers is lost revenue. Is it significant? Many companies rely on end of year demand to fill their coffers. I suppose Disney can just take a little instead of a lot since they just don't make the infrastructure additions.

Have we considered why some registers are not manned? Maybe not enough parking spaces for employees?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    unless they hook up a crane and transport you by air to the main gates, i just do not see how you can make parking more efficient at DLR.
    Slingshot on one end; mattress on the other. easy.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Slingshot on one end; mattress on the other. easy.
    Ohh see I like that idea too.. or ..wait!! how about a zip line!! LOL still be considered " 1st ride of the day " lol

• -

Why not add an entrance right at the parking lot? It doesn't make sense to force everyone to walk to the main entrance. You'll enter at Critter Country if you want to visit Disneyland. Thus the tram usage is cut in half. The other half will use tram for the DCA entrance.
    Disneyland was designed to be entered a certain way. That is why there is the big reveal when one walks through the entrance tunnels. It is also why all of the original lands had their own individual entrances. For me, entering the park any other way would be ruining the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    I’m sorry, but at $650-$850 per pass (depending on if I add Florida) parking is one of the perks that I am paying for. If they want to attack annual passholders to thin out the parking herd, get rid of the payment program and make people pay the amount up front.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

I wonder if it would relieve congestion to charge less for parking, the more people are in your car. 1 person in your car, you pay $X, two people, you pay $X-Y, etc.

Of course, it wouldn't be easy to implement; you'd have to have someone in a booth counting heads.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast