Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: How could the parking be more efficient in Disneyland Resort?

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    There is no reason to assume increased fees (Disney never lowers their prices) will reduce the number of people driving solo into the park. Prices already went up. Annual passes are already expensive. Disney has their money. Anyways, if APs go to the park on average once a month, it costs them $10 to park based on Annual pass parking fee. It's a nice discount for customers. I suppose customers like an imaginary discount. Disney likes its money upfront. You have to weigh the advantages of getting money upfront with potential of more spending in the park. Or is it better to just nickel and dime people until they don't want to bother anymore.

De-incentivizing attendance is not how theme parks work.
    I think the "advantages" of prepaid admission work great when the product is crappy, say, go once, then get uninterested in returning. DL is not crappy, though. Parking is messier right due to too many one-person vehicles parking, caused by pre-paid program. Drop the prepaid program, change parking to, say $11, and many people would opt to carpool.
    Right.
    You do realize I was being facetious?

---------- Post added 11-13-2012 at 01:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Disneyland was designed to be entered a certain way. That is why there is the big reveal when one walks through the entrance tunnels. It is also why all of the original lands had their own individual entrances. For me, entering the park any other way would be ruining the show.

Iím sorry, but at $650-$850 per pass (depending on if I add Florida) parking is one of the perks that I am paying for. If they want to attack annual passholders to thin out the parking herd, get rid of the payment program and make people pay the amount up front.
    Getting rid of AP Program and making everyone pay at the gate will solve nearly every problem brought up on these boards. It might create new problems, but those can be addressed when they occur.

---------- Post added 11-13-2012 at 01:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    Ohh see I like that idea too.. or ..wait!! how about a zip line!! LOL still be considered " 1st ride of the day " lol
    Top of the parking structure to security tent? Nice!

---------- Post added 11-13-2012 at 01:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    I wonder if it would relieve congestion to charge less for parking, the more people are in your car. 1 person in your car, you pay $X, two people, you pay $X-Y, etc.

Of course, it wouldn't be easy to implement; you'd have to have someone in a booth counting heads.
    Congestion:
    1. Not enough booths open.
    2. Too much conversation at the booth.
    3. Payment (or pass or whatever) not ready to be remitted when at booth.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post

Top of the parking structure to security tent? Nice!

YES!! EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING!!

as efficient as your gonna get! lol

• Banned User

I think the "advantages" of prepaid admission work great when the product is crappy, say, go once, then get uninterested in returning. DL is not crappy, though. Parking is messier right due to too many one-person vehicles parking, caused by pre-paid program. Drop the prepaid program, change parking to, say $11, and many people would opt to carpool.
    I don't think increasing prices will discourage behavior. It doesn't matter.

Sure, if they can carpool, but they won't because they can't because they don't have someone to carpool with. Many are meeting up with others or are simply going by themselves. Single people are more wealthier. They have the disposable income to spend more frivolously.

You do realize I was being facetious?
    Hmmm. Irony went unnoticed.

Getting rid of AP Program and making everyone pay at the gate will solve nearly every problem brought up on these boards. It might create new problems, but those can be addressed when they occur.
    Again, you're trying to solve the congestion problem, but Disney doesn't want to fix it YOUR WAY. Disney wants the customers. Thus the congestion will follow. High attendance keeps their park going. It's a "ALL IN" point of view.

You want a balanced approach. A little higher pricing, a little less congestion. It's tradeoff that trades in revenue and profits. However, Disney is already priced quite high. It commands high prices from its customers. They still go. The AP program is successful and people are still willing to pay the high prices.

The AP program will drive up the cost and demand of everything including congestion, but congestion is NOT measured on the balance sheet. Attendance is not the same as congestion.

Anyways, it is weird that you want to cripple the AP program to relieve congestion that happens "rarely" and only on 15 days of the years. It's like killing the golden goose because the goose produces too many eggs a few times a year. Fix the parking problems and the associated problems. You can't kill the success that they built up.

• Rock Star Minion

So the solution is to let everyone live with it? OK.

Not cripple the AP Program. Kill it entirely. Then, drag its corpse down Main Street USA. Then, hang it from one of the gas lamp posts. Then, guillotine its head and place it on Walt Disney's statue's hand.

Too much??
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Sock Puppet

Not cripple the AP Program. Kill it entirely. Then, drag its corpse down Main Street USA. Then, hang it from one of the gas lamp posts. Then, guillotine its head and place it on Walt Disney's statue's hand.

Too much??

omg ur funny today!!

• Rock Star Minion

Thank you. I try to bring a little joy and happiness in the form of descriptive mutilation around here.

• Sock Puppet

haaahaaaa!!!!!! omg sediment..

ur too much sometimes!

• Banned User

Live with the AP program. Add a new parking structure. Is it that hard?

I would demand more parking, more elevators, higher capacity trams, and a backdoor to Disneyland.

• Rock Star Minion

That's a lot of millions of dollars to spend, while eliminating the AP Program could result in millions of additional revenue, even at lower admission prices. (In short, more people would go to Disneyland, but far less frequently than the current average goer.)

You choose.

• Sock Puppet

NOOOOOOOOO!!! DON'T ELIMINATE THE AP SYSTEM... noooo!! oh the horror!!!! oh gawd!!!!

• Banned User

That's a lot of millions of dollars to spend, while eliminating the AP Program could result in millions of additional revenue, even at lower admission prices. (In short, more people would go to Disneyland, but far less frequently than the current average goer.)

You choose.
    It's a false choice. You have no way of knowing that revenue will increase without the AP program.

If making more money is possible from daily pricing, why do every business have a frequent purchase program?

Disney needs to convey value from allowing people to spend more and visiting more. You do know that for most AP plans, you have to visit at least 3 times to "break even". For most people, going three times from paying the standard rate is not something they will do on their own.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    NOOOOOOOOO!!! DON'T ELIMINATE THE AP SYSTEM... noooo!! oh the horror!!!! oh gawd!!!!
    Yes, I'm usually the chased one.

Not to be confused with being the chaste one.

It's difficult to argue this position against many who have only their own financial interest in mind. Me? I'm just arguing for a better and more equal DL experience for all. I'm arguing for a TDA that has to work to draw guests in with better ideas, better pricing, instead of just doing nothing and having 10 million guests show up annually to see the same thing year in and year out.

---------- Post added 11-13-2012 at 03:59 PM ----------

It's a false choice. You have no way of knowing that revenue will increase without the AP program.
    No, I don't know for sure. I don't work at TDA and have not run the real data numbers. I just do the math on the side, using very conservative estimates, and I've disclosed that math here on various occasions. Most posters here ignore them.
    If making more money is possible from daily pricing, why do every business have a frequent purchase program?
    The AP Program is not a "frequent purchase program." It is a one-purchase, frequent-use program. That's a big difference.

Disney needs to convey value from allowing people to spend more and visiting more. You do know that for most AP plans, you have to visit at least 3 times to "break even". For most people, going three times from paying the standard rate is not something they will do on their own.
    Exactly. Current AP People won't likely go three times a year if there weren't an AP Program. There are 15 million people in the SoCal area that go 0 times a year. Anyone trying to get them to visit just once? I'm guessing no. That's harder work. Better business (though bad for the park) to capture 1 million users (appropriate term imo) and ride their backs not unlike a monkey.
    Last edited by sediment; 11-13-2012 at 04:00 PM.

• Sock Puppet

rflol chaste one ..Haa!!!!!

well maybe TDA will see hour ideas on a zip line or sling shot for parking efficiency!

---------- Post added 11-13-2012 at 04:43 PM ----------

all joking aside, really i don't see any reason to make the parking anymore efficient then it already is! I mean what do you expect?! I think that the way the parking situation is currently is pretty organized. I don't know if building another parking structure would solve anything..maybe it would.. but i don't know..

• Rock Star Minion

The OP seems to have a problem with the structure being too far away from The Esplanade. I don't see a practical solution to that. The solution OP wants are all about "Get me there faster."

The trams come and are loaded as fast as logistically possible. (Slow up is often for disabled guests. I don't know how to make that process any faster.)

The guests often come at bunched times, so there might be a wait at the tram station. (More true at closing time.) Can't escape this randomness.

Fewer cars entering, while still the same number of guests, would help at the parking booths. That queue is way too long, and I don't want to start my day breathing in so much concentrated exhaust. I already pointed these out earlier.

So, solutions to congestion problems in post #31:
    1. Open more booths, if only temporarily for that first major rush.
    2. Keep the chatter down. A smile, take the money/card/pass, give them the daily parking ticket, and on their way.
    3. I don't remember 3. Oh, yeah. not controlled by Disney. OK, maybe they could have a cast member walking through the line, "taking orders" like the people at In-n-Out do, takes money/card/pass, hands a receipt for the parking ticket, then at the booth guest hands in receipt and gets the parking ticket.
    Last edited by sediment; 11-14-2012 at 10:19 AM.

• Under that tree again!

Fewer cars entering, while still the same number of guests, would help at the parking booths. That queue is way too long, and I don't want to start my day breathing in so much concentrated exhaust. I already pointed these out earlier.

So, solutions to congestion problems in post #31:
    1. Open more booths, if only temporarily for that first major rush.
    2. Keep the chatter down. A smile, take the money/card/pass, give them the daily parking ticket, and on their way.
    I agree that is a problem, though small it does use a chunk of time.

The problem is keeping more booths open during the rush is not viable. It's really hard to find extra employees that work for close to minimum wage that will come for two hours a day.

I'd suggest they make AP only entrances, which ideally would move really fast. It could work like a FasTrak if passes get RFID in them or a scan you own AP type deal.

The problems would be other people lending others their APs, and the idiots. There are always people who get confused. AP not being valid, expired, blocked out, or people getting thier AP at the ticket booths in 30 minutes. With an average of thousands of APs purchased and expiring every day AP only is not a simple fix.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast