Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• AKA - DisneyChris

How could the parking be more efficient in Disneyland Resort?

I remember when the parking lot was located right outside the main gate. If you missed the tram, you could just walk to the main gate. It was never that far. Now it is much more of a challenge, and the parking situation is, quite frankly, a mess. What are some good ideas to improve this problem? I think they should definitely build another parking structure, and I know there has been talk about doing this, but I think there is an even greater issue of getting from your car to the main gate. The trams just don't cut it. In a perfect world (which Disneyland is supposed to emulate) I would build a PeopleMover system, connected to all the parking structures that bring guests back and forth between the main gate. It would run non-stop much like the former Tomorrowland attraction did, It would be constantly moving traffic, so guests may have to stand in a short line, but it would never equal the time waiting for a tram. The system could mirror the WDW version, built within a roofed structure rather than having the vehicles have roofs. That would also allow for railings on the structure to avoid the OSHA concerns with the Disneyland version of the track.

What do you all think? Any other ideas? What if the PeopleMover went through tunnels underground? Like a subway type system? thought of that too...

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

• Under that tree again!

Re: How could the parking be more efficient in Disneyland Resort?

Parking now is easy if you are literate. There are signs on the freeways and roadways directing you where to go. If people could follow these directions it would go much smoother.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

^^ I agree. I have never had a problem with parking and if people did follow directions and not "jump cones" it is very efficient.
    And the walk from Mickey and Friends to the front gate isn't that bad in my opinion.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

They just need a second structure to fit all the people coming to the parks now....besides that I've never gotten lost

• The doctor is in

The walk from the parking facilities isn't all that bad. Either way you look at it you have to walk somewhere. If you stay at a Disney hotel and choose to not utilize the Monorail the walk is pretty extensive. There isn't a tram to take people through Downtown Disney and people manage just fine.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

car pool
    With kind regards,
    The Tony

Parking meters on Main Street

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Emelius View Post
    I remember when the parking lot was located right outside the main gate. If you missed the tram, you could just walk to the main gate.
    I walk all the time now. It is usually faster than waiting for the tram at peak times. I think people don't realize how close it really is.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• SORCERER

Either create a real monorail system similar to WDW (Way larger trains, Ari conditioning and provide very useful transportation) or a people mover thats on ground level that moves along the tram route.

• Minion

Ive never had problems in the parking situation the wait for a tram is like a build up for excitement knowing u have to wait just a little longer to get to the parks

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• formerly very helpful

When I was there yesterday, I overheard a couple having a conversation that included comparing Disney parking to everywhere else. Bottom line, Disney parking was so efficient, it pretty much ruined everywhere else for them. I'd say its pretty efficient.
    the only thing would be keep the parking lots fully staffed so folks know where to park and have little freedom to try and figure things out on their own. That's where I've seen most troubles arise.

• AKA - DisneyChris

Its not so much the parking that is the issue - it is getting from your car to the main gate. By the by, what time do the parking lots open? Do they open an hour before the park does like the old front gate lot did?? If I wanted to be the first in line at the main gate, what parking lot would I use... say for Gumball Rally practice days???

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

• Banned User

Why not add an entrance right at the parking lot? It doesn't make sense to force everyone to walk to the main entrance. You'll enter at Critter Country if you want to visit Disneyland. Thus the tram usage is cut in half. The other half will use tram for the DCA entrance.

They can fix the lack of parking spaces by adding a second parking structure. Why are they hesitating in building it?

I have a problem with the tram loading style. Perhaps they should come up with a better design that can hold more guests. I hate the open air design which doesn't work when it is very hot or cold and windy.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Emelius View Post
    Its not so much the parking that is the issue - it is getting from your car to the main gate. By the by, what time do the parking lots open? Do they open an hour before the park does like the old front gate lot did?? If I wanted to be the first in line at the main gate, what parking lot would I use... say for Gumball Rally practice days???
    Mickey's and Friends opens 1.5 hours before the first park opens. If you are driving and going to Magic Morning in DL park here so you get to the gates by the MM start.
    Toy Story the other regular parking area opens an hour before the first park opens.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    They can fix the lack of parking spaces by adding a second parking structure. Why are they hesitating in building it?
    1. There is hardly a lack of parking. About 15 days a year they need to borrow parking spaces from others. That's it 15/365<5% of the time. On roughly 2/3 of the time that main parking areas, Toy Story and Mickey's and Friends are enough parking. The rest of the time they use Pumba and Simba.

On those rare days they have a deal to use Gardenwalk and the Convention Center garages.

The problem on those rare days tend to be one thing. The illiteracy of locals. When the sign on Ball says turn left for parking, don't keep driving to Mickey and Friends. When the sign says Mickey and Friends is full it's not a joke. Don't complain how long it took you to get down Disneyland Dr, and across a block of Katella, you are the reason for the traffic.

2. With little demand for another garage it's hard to justify the cost. Parking structures are very expensive. It can cost 10-50 times more to make parking spaces in a structure than a lot. Mickey and Friends could of cost $200-500 million to build. When they expect thier parking to be overflowing a lot, it's time to put the money on the table.

• Banned User

The cost is offset with the parking fees. It isn't merely an expense. I notice that the Downtown Disney parking lots often overflows into the nearby parking lots, next to Mickey and Friends when there are big events. Thus, I don't think Disney is handling their parking situation so well.

As for the 15 days a year, you're using an incorrect metric. Just because they might borrow other parking spaces on those days doesn't mean on the remaining days, the parking situation is severly impacted. On those rare days, employees are forced to use the Anaheim Stadium and Honda Center.

If they have that second parking structure, they have immediate space to expand their businesses instead of trying to accommodate their existing crowds to an outdated model. They can also project further demand into possible future expansion of Disneyland and DCA to get more guests to attend. Then with a third parking structure, they can begin to consider a third park.

Solve the parking structure and transportation problem now for the future.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast