Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Re: Ideas for making the Dl less crowded/crowd Efficient

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Sounds like a plea to ban fastpass.

I agree. Stand in line and wait, if you want to.
    At least FastPass as we know it today. If they could implement a smart system that would move you in a logical pattern around the park from one attraction to another to help minimize your wait and to keep you from back tracking (adding to congestion on various pathways) that would be worth doing.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    you write this without knowing the cost of the tickets.
    Maybe E-tickets are only 5 cents each.

But, more likely the price will reflect the cost of operating the attraction (long-term AND short-term) divided by the number of riders. Plus some profit amount.
    If Space Mountain costs $100,000 a day to operate, 12 passengers leave every 15 seconds, that's about 40000 passengers for a 14-hour day. So, $4/passenger.
    $60K profit each day is about $24 million/year in profit/contingency for refurb.
    It won't be long for Space Mountain to lose money if the attraction doesn't meet it's occupancy goals. With an all-you-can-ride plan, the cost is based on park attendance. You can sort of make an estimate.

With tickets, demand is unknown. It fluctuates. People might not want to go on that one more ride. It is possible to have too many employees waiting for customers. If the cost is too high, people won't go. Does Disney raise or lower the prices on the fly? This creates so much uncertainty with park operations.

I wonder if changing each ride into a cost center will have an impact on how you enjoy the park. You can almost say goodbye to new park attractions to increase attendance. Disneyland will have a fixed amount of attractions to make it easier to manage. Accounting is twice as hard with each attraction and there are much more overhead with ticket takers and line monitors. Beware of line jumpers as this will be a bigger problem with those that like to cheat. When money is in the picture, people will find away of getting away with free rides.

From this analysis, I guess I won't mind going back to the old days. I will not only pay much less to get into the park. It is unlikely I will ever hit the current park admission price (I'm cheap). An a la carte system will force me to nickle and dime. I don't think Disney wants people to think about money when money should flow more freely on vacation.
    Last edited by StevenW; 11-15-2012 at 02:49 PM.

• Rock Star Minion

Smart cards can take care of line-jumping by moving the "entrance" of the attraction nearer to the attraction loading area.
    New attractions could be built on the faith of their attractionness and (more coldly) their ROI. That is, if someone who really knows the business can believe in it. Older, less popular attractions, ticket-priced for nearly zero and still not attracting enough guests and revenue, would go away. An attraction that costs way too much to operate relative to its market price (cough, nemo, cough) would be replaced.

Yes, it would be harder to run the business this way. if it were easy everyone would be able to do it. It's the 'hard' that makes it great.
    And yes, no one in TDA has provided any evidence to convince me that they'd know how to run this park this way. Current way is easier. Put the old feet up on the desk and relax.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    you pay more $ for less theme parks. but WDW has more theme parks for less $. -__-

why is it DLR $650 for 2 theme parks for valid 365 days yr.

but WDW it's only $452.63 ($611.31 if not FL resident) for 4 theme parks valid for 365 days yr.
    In DLR it's easy to sell APs, because of a huge local population.

At a table in front of the French Quarter Market

1) Don't let the ODV lines go straight out into the walkway! Have the line go to the side. Line control is part of the job - I know, I worked at a concession stand. People don't mind being asked to swing the line to the side. Lines going halfway or more across a walkway, like at the ODVs by the Mark Twain, are a bottleneck.

2) Do a better job of anticipating crowd levels. The worst days are not when it's really crowded. The worst days are when it's really crowded and Disney did not expect it. High attendance is not that bad when all cashier and food service lines are open, rides operate at full capacity, etc. (The best days are when they expect crowds and don't get them!) Attendance patterns have changed. Learn the new patterns.

Fluffy Club Member

Replace The AP program with a Season Pass program. Sell passes that are only good for a certain time of year like:
    --Winter Value Pass good from January to March for $149.
    --Spring Pass good from April to June for $199.
    --Summer Pass good from June to Labor Day for $299.
    --Fall Value Pass good from September to early November for $149.
    --Holiday Pass good from early November to early January for $299.

This would effectively raise the cost of a PAP to $1100 and eliminate all other passes while still providing value for those wanting to visit multiple times. Parking would no longer be included with any pass. No monthly payment options.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    In DLR it's easy to sell APs, because of a huge local population.
    Very true....:P
    For the love of Disney....

Several here (including me) have made several cases against going back to ticket books. However, although I don't think ticket books (pay per attraction) would work to reduce crowds, what might work is pay as you go fast passes. Eliminate free fast passes, and charge for them. this will generate additional revenue, and put more people into the standby lines, reducing overall crowding outside of the attractions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    Dynamic pricing.

Remove the parking benefit from Premium passholders. Still have the parking pass available but for an additional fee.
    Is your assertion then that the parking is *free* with a premium pass?

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    Is your assertion then that the parking is *free* with a premium pass?
    It's included in the price of the pass and you can't get the Premium or Premiere without it.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345