• Under that tree again!

Mickey Check, IDs healthy items on quick service kids menus.

Mickey Check Debuts on Quick-Service Menus at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort ę Disney Parks Blog

Itís going to become a recognized symbol on quick-service menus at various locations across Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort Ė the Mickey Check. The Mickey Check debuted on kidsí menus at Be Our Guest Restaurant earlier this month, and will appear on Disney table-service menus in January 2013.

Part of the Disney Magic of Healthy Living initiative, the tool was created to make it easier to identify nutritious choices that address family needs. In order to receive the Mickey Check, kidsí meals and other items must meet Disney Nutrition Guidelines. The Disney Nutrition Guidelines align to the U. S. Dietary Guidelines for Americans and focus on contributing to a nutritious diet, encouraging kid appropriate portions (with calorie criteria) and limiting nutrients to avoid (e.g. sodium, sugar, saturated fat, trans fat).

Gallery

Mickey Check Debuts on Quick-Service Menus at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort

Kidsí Complete Meals must include at least three of the following food groups: fruits and vegetables; low-fat dairy; whole grains; or lean protein, beans, eggs and nuts. At lunch and dinner at Be Our Guest Restaurant, the kidsí meals choices include Mickey turkey meatloaf, a carved turkey sandwich, seared mahi mahi and whole-grain macaroni. To meet Disney Nutrition Guidelines, kidsí complete meals must be ordered with no substitutions.

• Minion

Re: Mickey Check, IDs healthy items on quick service kids menus.

why is everything so overpriced? no, i'd rather starve. or bring in my own food.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    why is everything so overpriced? no, i'd rather starve. or bring in my own food.
    LOL it's Disney...

I paid $23 for this

But gosh darnit...it was good!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    LOL it's Disney...

I paid $23 for this

But gosh darnit...it was good!
    Now what's worth it cus it looks yummy. But the kids food look like it's something like Lunchables or I can make in my kitchen right now or it's those frozen plates in my the fridge.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Now what's worth it cus it looks yummy. But the kids food look like it's something like Lunchables or I can make in my kitchen right now or it's those frozen plates in my the fridge.
    Actually, now that you mention that and upon a closer look at the photos...yeah..they do look like a lunchable, kinda. I think that you are paying $8 for a Mickey's Meatloaf, just because it's shaped like Mickey. Kids love that kinda thing and parents will dish out the extra $$$ just to see them smile at a piece of meat shaped like their favorite little mouse.

Believe me..I know...

• Under that tree again!

For comparison to the 6 or 7 99 meals this is a full kids menu from a DL quick service location.

Citrus Chicken Breast - with rice. $6.99
    Macaroni and Cheese - $6.49

Sure the menu posted above is more, but not by much, but has a larger variety of choices, and an ambience that isn't matched in DLR.

• Senior Minion

As always the prices are ridiculous, but Disney does deserve kudos for its nutritional kid's menu initiative.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Honestly I didn't notice much difference between Disney's average menu price and any other restaurant I would go to around home. I guess the difference is that you don't normally buy up to three meals a day at restaurants, so it adds up. But the price of just one meal is pretty standard!
    ..:: DLR Trips: 1994, 1999, 2012 ::..

Quote Originally Posted by kayleigh83 View Post
    Honestly I didn't notice much difference between Disney's average menu price and any other restaurant I would go to around home. I guess the difference is that you don't normally buy up to three meals a day at restaurants, so it adds up. But the price of just one meal is pretty standard!
    It is all in context. For example, being from British Columbia Canada the prices in the parks are not that bad. The big difference is like you said, when down on vacation I eat out two meals a day (we usually grab muffins and fruit or cereal and keep it in our room for a quick breakfast) and as such notice the hit to the wallet more. That being said, a big mac meal from Mcdonalds is about 9 bucks when all is said and done up here, yes that includes a drink but the quality of the food is shall we say....significantly lower than most offerings in Disneyland.

To really compare, the P.N.E an annual massive fair in Vancouver, and the closest thing to a "theme park" similar to Disneyland, sells things at exorbinant prices. A smokey with some grilled vegetables is 9 dollars, no drink no side. For around 13 dollars you can get way more at a counter service restaurant in Disneyland. I personally think Americans are a little spoiled when it comes to food prices because yes the meals are expensive, BUT considering it is a theme park I don't find paying a dollar or two more than average, when compared to a meal up here, is that bad.

All of this being said, I did feel ripped off when i couldnt pay for a hot dog and a bag of chips with a $5 on main street

• Minion

Gross. Who likes Big Macs? It's all bout in-n-out burgers!!! They have good quality burgers plus their fries are fresh. Yumm! Chick filla is good too.

Hmm I remember when McDonald's was at dca, they even jacked up their prices too. By a lot. They had no $1 menu but their fries were good at frointerland in their 2 locations

i don't mind if Dl food is overpriced as long as it taste very good. Like their Churros inside their parks. Don't buy their NASTY Churros in downtown Disney which is another company

Finally... exploiting the health market. I was honestly getting worried. WTG Disney!
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Finally... exploiting the health market. I was honestly getting worried. WTG Disney!
    I had the same thought, but what's worse is it not exactly healthy. They simply qualify if they,
    include at least three of the following food groups: fruits and vegetables; low-fat dairy; whole grains; or lean protein, beans, eggs and nuts.

Disney is actually not bad as theme parks go. Prices are much higher at Cedar Fair Parks. I think Six Flags and SeaWorld/Busch Gardens are also higher. Disney quality is also higher in general, although I wish they'd consider increasing the portion size of their healthy options. A lot of times when you remove the carbs and/or protein from an item you need to eat more to compensate. For example, a sandwich with fries is going to be a lot more filling than a salad wrap with apple slices.

• The doctor is in

It's not Disney's job to make sure kids are eating healthy. It's the job of their parents. If the parents want to feed their kids junk then that's their thing.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    A lot of times when you remove the carbs and/or protein from an item you need to eat more to compensate. For example, a sandwich with fries is going to be a lot more filling than a salad wrap with apple slices.
    I agree but I think the underlying reason they don't do that is because potatoes are cheaper than apples, and rolls are cheaper than carrots.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    It's not Disney's job to make sure kids are eating healthy. It's the job of their parents. If the parents want to feed their kids junk then that's their thing.
    I don't disagree, but the markings can certainly help the parents guide thier kids.