Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast

• will-o-the-whip

Re: Time to Send the Grand Canyon Diorama to Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by QuiGonJ View Post
    Having seen the digital 3D replacement for King Kong at Universal Hollywood, I preferred the original Bob Gurr monster that didn't call attention to it's complete falsity.

I would prefer we keep the original dioramas at Disneyland.
    You took the words straight from quill! I vastly prefer the old King Kong and find the new 3D one unconvincing and unthrilling. I hope the Grand Canyon diorama continues at DL for many decades to come, it's a wonderful set of show scenes.

No Way! Leave the GC and PWorld alone - please. It's a PLUS on a scenic Railroad Attraction - sorry that some find it "boring." For those of us that cannot ride the Mountains, Star Tours, etc., it's a nice mellow attraction that adds something that no other park has.

It's not outdated. Because the Disneyland Railroad is considered a "mild" form of entertainment, there's no need to get spastic and make major changes. Updating the technology and sets wouldn't hurt. But seriously, why get rid of it?

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    You took the words straight from quill! I vastly prefer the old King Kong and find the new 3D one unconvincing and unthrilling. I hope the Grand Canyon diorama continues at DL for many decades to come, it's a wonderful set of show scenes.
    Here, here!

I hope they keep the Diorama for many years to come.
    We certainly do not need to replace such a treasure. Especially with 3d or projection technology.

• Workin to live,lovin life

I agree that projections and 3D screens can't replace physical dioramas. Look at Transformers, Finding Nemo, and even Toy Story. They're good, but having actual physical AA's beats projections and screens any day.

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    Or if they wanted to keep using the mash up of the third and fifth movement they use now, I'd prefer they use a different recording, perhaps Bernstein's, that better fits the attraction.
    I don't know if this has been said yet, but I'm 99% sure that the Bernstein recording is the one they use.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    Wow, you are far off. I'm about 10 years older than you are, and while I love Mr. Lincoln (and now the Voices of Liberty) and the Sleeping Beauty Castle walk-through, the Grand Canyon/Primeval section of the train ride holds no interest for me at all.
    Yet there is no explanation why that is, don't you like art, detailed scenery, and animatronics? What's not to like about it? Would you rather there be nothing at all like the rest of the train ride? This is akin to someone saying Pirates or Haunted Mansion have no interest to them and should be replaced or heavily altered, it has no merit.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 11-21-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Why is it outdated? It looks just like the Grand Canyon. I always think that they did such a great job recreating it, especially for when it was done. I think the only thing they need to change is the ventilation. I like looking at the dioramas but the smell gives me headache and makes me a little sick.

In 1966 I was ten years old. My parents and I were heading back to California after vacationing in Arkansas ..The plan was to go to The Grand Canyon. A day out from the canyon, my parents asked if I would rather go to Disneyland instead of the canyon? Of coarse I picked Disneyland. My ten year old logic told me Disneyland had its own Grand Canyon!... I would rather see some "plusing" of this attraction not major change...It fits just fine on the train ride..besides there is plenty of other things in Disneyland that need budget dollars.

• Disneyland Fan

The Primeval World holds up surprisingly well. The Grand Canyon part is the weak link; there is less animation, the background mural lacks depth, and the hokey music doesn't help. I wouldn't mind some updating of the Grand Canyon part and maybe some sort of fiber optic or projection "time travel" effect in the dark part between the two dioramas.
    I wouldn't call Ferde Grofe's master piece "Grand Canyon Suite" hokey music. It is one of the great classics to come out of the 20th Century. He wrote it after visiting the Grand Canyon the first time.
    Grumpy Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    As noted, you are likely the only one to hear such comments. It's not denial, it's simply a fact. In fact, having ridden through the diorama literally hundreds of times, I don't recall any guests talking at all, let alone loud enough for me to hear the conversations of amateur music critics.
    How can the observations of you and a couple of people be considered fact? Is it realistic to believe that every single person who goes through this each day loves it? Maybe I'm very unlucky and get stuck next to these people, but I've heard it. It isn't always a comment (although I hear that too); sometimes it's a sarcastic laugh, a confused huh, etc. I loved the Country Bears as much as anyone else, but I'm not going to pretend that it didnt have a fair share of walkout towards the end of its run.

---------- Post added 11-21-2012 at 02:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ww12345 View Post
    I don't know if this has been said yet, but I'm 99% sure that the Bernstein recording is the one they use.
    I had heard it was the version used in the Grand Canyon nature film that played with Sleeping Beauty. It sounds like that version to me, but its hard to tell since when I hear it its over the sound of the train and in a tunnel. It's possible I could be wrong.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

How can the observations of you and a couple of people be considered fact? Is it realistic to believe that every single person who goes through this each day loves it? Maybe I'm very unlucky and get stuck next to these people, but I've heard it. It isn't always a comment (although I hear that too); sometimes it's a sarcastic laugh, a confused huh, etc. I loved the Country Bears as much as anyone else, but I'm not going to pretend that it didnt have a fair share of walkout towards the end of its run.

Yet you seem to be very keen on insisting that what you interpreted on the train is fact for the majority of guests. There will always be a handful of people who don't like something but that doesn't mean the diorama is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Pete View Post
    I wouldn't call Ferde Grofe's master piece "Grand Canyon Suite" hokey music. It is one of the great classics to come out of the 20th Century. He wrote it after visiting the Grand Canyon the first time.
    Ok, I'll admit maybe that came out wrong. The hokey part for me isn't the music itself, it's the use of the liveliest part of that piece over the calm first portion of the diorama. I have no problem with the storm scene when a different portion of the same music is used to great effect. Again, personal opinion.

---------- Post added 11-21-2012 at 02:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Yet you seem to be very keen on insisting that what you interpreted on the train is fact for the majority of guests. There will always be a handful of people who don't like something but that doesn't mean the diorama is the problem.
    If it came across that I was saying a majority then that wasn't my intention, but it does happen and in my opinion if a change in music can cut down on it why not give it a shot. If it doesn't work out they can easily change it back.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

If it came across that I was saying a majority then that wasn't my intention, but it does happen and in my opinion if a change in music can cut down on it why not give it a shot. If it doesn't work out they can easily change it back.
    If you feel it's a small group of guests then why change it? It's pointless trying to make 100% of people like something. Not everyone likes World of Color, Fantasmic, HM, or Pirates, should we go alter those to try and make them more appealing to these people? The answer is no, that's why we have a diverse selection of attractions to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    If you feel it's a small group of guests then why change it? It's pointless trying to make 100% of people like something. Not everyone likes World of Color, Fantasmic, HM, or Pirates, should we go alter those to try and make them more appealing to these people? The answer is no.
    I think it's in the nature of the artist to want to improve their work. The diorama itself was Walt Disney's idea to improve the guest experience on the railroad and based on accounts by old imagineers, not everyone originally supported the idea. They have tried to make WoC, F!, HM, and Pirates appealing to more people with mixed results. Most people like the Brave segment in WoC and the new dragon in F! while those of us on the forums generally dislike the addition of Jack Sparrow. You're always going to have a small group that dislikes anything, my friend hates Cars Land for example, but if you can do something to win them over then I think doing so would be worth at least discussing.

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast