Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

• Closed Account

Re: Time to Send the Grand Canyon Diorama to Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    If it came across that I was saying a majority then that wasn't my intention, but it does happen and in my opinion if a change in music can cut down on it why not give it a shot. If it doesn't work out they can easily change it back.
    Why are we interested in pandering to staggeringly small number of dolts?

I had heard it was the version used in the Grand Canyon nature film that played with Sleeping Beauty. It sounds like that version to me, but its hard to tell since when I hear it its over the sound of the train and in a tunnel. It's possible I could be wrong.
    I compared them, and I'm fairly certain that the one that was paired with Sleeping Beauty is not the one used - the cadences are timed a bit differently. Bernstein had his own, fairly unique way of conducting the Grand Canyon Suite, and it is pretty much right on with the audio played during the diorama. Either way, the audio is pretty clear, it is the train speakers which are sadly deficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Why are we interested in pandering to staggeringly small number of dolts?
    I don't think a small change in music is pandering. Adding 3D dinosaurs or Jack Sparrow would be.

---------- Post added 11-21-2012 at 03:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ww12345 View Post
    I compared them, and I'm fairly certain that the one that was paired with Sleeping Beauty is not the one used - the cadences are timed a bit differently. Bernstein had his own, fairly unique way of conducting the Grand Canyon Suite, and it is pretty much right on with the audio played during the diorama. Either way, the audio is pretty clear, it is the train speakers which are sadly deficient.
    I stand corrected then it's a shame that the speakers are not more clear (the sound of the train and acoustics of the tunnel probably don't help either) since I really like his version.

I love it, too. It's really one of my favorite parts of the train. I like that it is slower and relaxing.

• Closed Account

it's a shame that the speakers are not more clear (the sound of the train and acoustics of the tunnel probably don't help either) since I really like his version.
    I'm not sure the speakers can get any better. Maybe. They do have to be fairly robust and weather-proof. The narration on the train I work on sounds like a $5.00 transistor radio compared to the DRR speakers.

---------- Post added 11-22-2012 at 12:33 AM ----------

I don't think a small change in music is pandering.
    The first movement is way too dull. It's mezmerizing, but sunrise isn't what I think of when I think of the canyon. I want to be IN the canyon, on a burro, which is exactly what "On the Trail" accomplishes.

And yes, I hiked to the bottom and back when younger. That was a long day. Long.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I'm not sure the speakers can get any better. Maybe. They do have to be fairly robust and weather-proof. The narration on the train I work on sounds like a $5.00 transistor radio compared to the DRR speakers.
    They might be able to improve the sound a little with some remixing/remastering of the original track. There are also some modern soundproofing techniques they could use to minimize the effects of the tunnel, but realistically they'd never pay for that and it would likely require a closure of the railroad while it is installed. The same would probably apply to a new ventilation system like others have suggested.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I personally love it...it's usually the only reason that I ride the attraction in the first place. If anything, I simply wish more things would be added for visual elements along the train tracks.

• Animatronic

Borrowing from Fantasmic, they could open an all new Traintasmic show and build bleachers where the dioramas are now. From the bleachers you could watch your favorite characters ride by on a real train you can't ride!

Or more seriously, the crazy time travel, the Grand Canyon, the Dinosaurs, the real trains, it's all awesome!
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

• will-o-the-whip

I think for many guests who are unfamiliar with DL, the train ride through PW and GC is a pleasant and unexpected surprise. They were just expecting some simple train ride to transport them from land to land, and instead got some great show scenes to boot. That extra and unexpected value is part of what makes DL magical. Another example is the train going through Splash Mountain and seeing the final show scene. I wish they would add something to the Adventureland section of the train ride, such as an Indiana Jones component or Jungle Cruise tie-in. It doesn't need to be something huge but something small that ties in with the land we're traveling through.

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    This. I personally adore the dioramas. I feel like a little girl when I begin hearing that peppy Grand Canyon music, gazing in fascination at the detail of the diorama with this silly, giddy grin spanning across my face. And when the music slowly shifts mood to the more dramatic sound as the narrator announces that we'll be traveling "back in time to the land of the dinosaurs", that grin grows into an uncontrollable smile as shivers race down my spine. It's pure, authentic "Disney magic" and not whatever the Disney marketing department tries to sell as Disney magic these days. No, staring at those dinosaur animatronics with wonder-filled eyes, it's the real deal. Replacing this amazing experience with 3D graphics, which never convey the same wonder and amazement as tangible, physical sets, would ruin one of my favorite parts of the park.
    I agree. I go back to my first visit when I was a child. The music and narration remind me of The World of Color on TV way back when. I love it when the temperature changes. I guess I find a sort of comfort when I ride the train.
    I know Disneyland is not a museum but it is memories and happiness for many of us. Enjoy your nap so you can be refreshed for the rest of your visit.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by indianajack View Post
    I wish they would add something to the Adventureland section of the train ride, such as an Indiana Jones component or Jungle Cruise tie-in. It doesn't need to be something huge but something small that ties in with the land we're traveling through.
    There used to be a panther along the tracks in Adventureland, but alas he is no more.

Quote Originally Posted by TCadillac View Post
    I couldn't agree more with this statement.
    I agree, why does eveerything have tobe about technology for the younger generation to enjoy it.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

In my opinion, they should move it to a new tunnel at the top of the ROA extending toward Fantasyland to hide the Fantasyland theater and firework launching area (just before emerging at Toontown Depot). I had a whole big thing written up about this back in the day that I will update sometime.

I really like the 1958 movie "Grand Canyon" that that this was based on and that's included on the Sleeping Beauty DVD. I always love it as the thunderstorm approaches. I even love the tunnel smoke!

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Yet there is no explanation why that is, don't you like art, detailed scenery, and animatronics? What's not to like about it? Would you rather there be nothing at all like the rest of the train ride? This is akin to someone saying Pirates or Haunted Mansion have no interest to them and should be replaced or heavily altered, it has no merit.
    If I didn't appreciate art, detailed scenery and animatronics I probably wouldn't be a fan of Disneyland at all. I'm sure a lot of this has to do with personal taste. I'm just not interested in slowly riding past a Grand Canyon diorama or dinosaurs standing around munching plants. Also, the lighting/music in the dinosaur section scared my girls when they were younger (as did HM, so we avoided both, but it was sad that we couldn't take a complete ride around Disneyland because of the dinosaur section). In short, the ride between Tomorrowland and Main St. isn't enjoyable to me, I usually avoid it, and would be pleased if something new went in (if it were an improvement). I understand that my opinion is in the minority on this board.

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast