Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast

Re: Time to Send the Grand Canyon Diorama to Yesterland

Please....leave it in! The only reason I even take the train from Tomorrowland is to enjoy the Grand Canyon and Dinosaurs. I loved it when I was a kid, as a teenager, and now as an adult in his mid-30s.

I do not think that doing anything to it to make it more appealing to the rapidly declining attention span of America would be a good thing.

Unless you add in the new music from the fort/ship battle scene from POTC......

• Hello Dolly.

I've always been excited about going into the Grand Canyon portion of the Disneyland Railroad.

I remember being younger how disappointed I'd be when the station we'd get off at didn't pass through.

Of course, I got great memories with the diorama, but that doesn't mean the thing couldn't use a good update. I'd like if they'd start the update from the TL station and put great emphasis on the train time traveling into the future then too far back into time.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    If I didn't appreciate art, detailed scenery and animatronics I probably wouldn't be a fan of Disneyland at all. I'm sure a lot of this has to do with personal taste. I'm just not interested in slowly riding past a Grand Canyon diorama or dinosaurs standing around munching plants.
    So you would rather have a boring tunnel instead? Doesn't make much sense to me if you are actually indeed a fan of these qualities of Disneyland. Even if my tastes didn't align with the subject, (I.E. Carsland), I would be able to appreciate it for the detail and effort that went into creating such a project.

Also, the lighting/music in the dinosaur section scared my girls when they were younger (as did HM, so we avoided both, but it was sad that we couldn't take a complete ride around Disneyland because of the dinosaur section). In short, the ride between Tomorrowland and Main St. isn't enjoyable to me, I usually avoid it, and would be pleased if something new went in (if it were an improvement). I understand that my opinion is in the minority on this board.
    OK, so here is the real reason why you have a grudge against the diorama, it has nothing to do with its entertainment value or ability to convey itself. Just one question, why avoid attractions like these for so many years with your children? I remember at a young age of 3-4 years old my mother would assure me that everything would be OK. I got through it for the first couple times and these turned out to be my favorite attractions growing up. I feel by avoiding them I would have lost that gift and perpetuated a fear that shouldn't have progressed. This is a growing trend it seems for visitors and this is a main reason why you are seeing the toonification of the park. This idea that attractions like HM and the diorama are "too scary" is silly.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 11-22-2012 at 01:21 PM.

• I'm from Canada eh!

No need for a change IMO. It's a nice little scene tucked away in a place to reward the people who take time and ride the train. I wish I could bottle that smell too.

• Doombuggy Rider

You can clean up - repair - enhance Disneyland History (I would accept state-of-the-art audio animatronic replacements), but please do not replace Disneyland History with something that thee Suit n' Ties in Burbank would probably up charge for (& that would be some damn 3D Glasses for some stupid 3D Experience including smell-o-vision scent) ....

Some of us do not have A.D.D. (we can take in an experience respecting the fact it is "dated" compared with what is offered today) & we want to preserve what we can @ Disneyland without it becoming an "eisner" (broken down beyond repair and / or replaced with something under whelming) ....

Judging by the fact this thread has generated 12 Pages, I have to say this has been one heated topic (& a visit to Yesterland often reminds me what thee Suit n' Ties @ Burbank screwed up on) ....

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    So you would rather have a boring tunnel instead?
    When did I ever say I would rather have a boring tunnel instead?

OK, so here is the real reason why you have a grudge against the diorama, it has nothing to do with its entertainment value or ability to convey itself. Just one question, why avoid attractions like these for so many years with your children? I remember at a young age of 3-4 years old my mother would assure me that everything would be OK. I got through it for the first couple times and these turned out to be my favorite attractions growing up. I feel by avoiding them I would have lost that gift and perpetuated a fear that shouldn't have progressed. This is a growing trend it seems for visitors and this is a main reason why you are seeing the toonification of the park. This idea that attractions like HM and the diorama are "too scary" is silly.
    I don't "have a grudge" against it (do you hold a grudge against attractions that don't interest you at Disneyland?) and I didn't care for the diorama before having kids either. (It is interesting that you like to tell people why they don't like something or what they would prefer instead. You need to stop assuming things about people) My feeling that it is too scary for some kids is just an additional reason why I don't care for the diorama. And, no, I don't think everything scary needs to be removed from the park, most things can be avoided. However, the train is a mode of transportation around the park. That doesn't mean they have to change it, but I would be glad if they did. Also as I stated above, I'd like to see something new go in if it were an improvement - not just a "boring tunnel".

it doesn't needs to go, it's a classic, it's just need new animatronics

---------- Post added 11-23-2012 at 01:56 PM ----------

Plus new special effects to enhance it nothing fancy, just needs digital special effects, but keeping the classic as it was seen when it first opened.

The Grand Canyon diorama is a relic of the relationship between Disney and the Santa Fe Railroad. The whole end of the Grand Circle Tour should probably be rethought, and Taxidermyland can take up residence in another form somewhere more appropriate.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    The Grand Canyon diorama is a relic of the relationship between Disney and the Santa Fe Railroad. The whole end of the Grand Circle Tour should probably be rethought
    The diorama in no way, shape, or form, shows any sign that it's a relic of the relationship between Disneyland and the Santa Fe Railroad. It is it's own attraction, within the DLRR. It was used as a marketing tool for both companies, but it was not placed in the park because ​of the relationship.

and Taxidermyland can take up residence in another form somewhere more appropriate.
    How is taxidermy not appropriate in a diorama of the Grand Canyon? There really is wildlife there in real life! I don't know if I can think of anywhere else where taxidermy would be more appropriate.

I'm for plussing it... by that I wouldn't mind some touchup/updating to the animatronics... also the paint is looking a bit faded.
    Some light effects and such could be updated.

I'd also LOVE to see a sound system upgrade... that tunnel offers so much potential

Basically have the "trains" sound system muted and then a full surround track of the same music/sounds remastered in a surround environment. Disney could place some serious subwoofers under the track and could create a really neat environment (IE: during the dinosaur "fight" scene). They could also have animal sounds (IE Birds, etc) coming from behind you in the tunnel...

Basically, my point is the train PA system just doesn't cut it...

• Banned User

From Daveland:

Painted by Claude Coats on a single piece of seamless, handwoven canvas and representing the view from the canyon's south rim, the rear of the diorama measures 306' long, 34' high, 45' wide and is covered with 300 gallons of paint. The cost was $367,000 and took more than 80,000 labor hours to construct.

Good lord, this was a ton of work and it was all on one SEAMLESS backdrop. ...and someone here wants to replace it?! With what? Some movie tie-in? Although Walt did say Disneyland would never be complete and would always be in some form of transition, it didn't imply that everything had to be changed. There's nothing wrong with leaving some things alone. For that matter I recall some murmuring about turning Main Street from the 1910's into an updated 1950's theme. Blech. Not every change is for the better.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Don't replace it, move it!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Move it where? It is in the perfect location now as the finale of the train ride.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• Closed Account

Why move it? It's perfectly placed as a grand finale to the Grand Circle Tour, just as it was intended.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Move it where? It is in the perfect location now as the finale of the train ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Why move it? It's perfectly placed as a grand finale to the Grand Circle Tour, just as it was intended.
    Thrid-ed!

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast